Sports vs Standard Exhausts

Hi all, I'm new to the TR Register having recently bought a TR6. It's a 1975 model that has had quite a bit of work done to it in past years, as I'm sure most have. It had a PI engine ( CR64590) but a previous owner has changed it to twin SU carbs and she runs very well. However, he also fitted a large bore, single pipe 2.5 inch, sports exhaust. It looks good but it makes a hell of a noise. The exhaust manifold is a tubular one with the 6 pipes coming down vertically, then through 90 degrees to join into 2 then 1 at the Y. I would like to put her back to standard exhaust with a single silencer box and twin pipes on the nearside (like Rimmer's RR1167SS system).

My questions are;

1. would this work with my modified engine and exhaust manifold, Rimmer's seem to suggest my type manifold is for a sports exhaust?

2. If it is ok to fit a standard system could I get away with just fitting the rear silencer box to the large bore intermediate pipe?

3. If the standard system is not suitable, would the Sports Twin Silencer System B be better? Baring in mind its noise I'm trying to reduce?

any advice gratefully received,

Ian

Ian

TR Shop ( https://www.trshop.co.uk/special.html ) do lots of exhaust packages at some very good prices and also stock various adapters to join different bits together - I suggest you give them a call and I'm sure they will be able to help you.

I'm also sure there are quieter options for the sports exhaust, but I don't know the details - I'll also send you a PM ( personal Message) - go to envelope icon at top of this page and click on it if there is a red flag, indicating an unread message in your inbox

Cheers

Rich

Hi all, I'm new to the TR Register having recently bought a TR6. It's a 1975 model that has had quite a bit of work done to it in past years, as I'm sure most have. It had a PI engine ( CR64590) but a previous owner has changed it to twin SU carbs and she runs very well. However, he also fitted a large bore, single pipe 2.5 inch, sports exhaust. It looks good but it makes a hell of a noise. The exhaust manifold is a tubular one with the 6 pipes coming down vertically, then through 90 degrees to join into 2 then 1 at the Y. I would like to put her back to standard exhaust with a single silencer box and twin pipes on the nearside (like Rimmer's RR1167SS system).

My questions are;

1. would this work with my modified engine and exhaust manifold, Rimmer's seem to suggest my type manifold is for a sports exhaust?

2. If it is ok to fit a standard system could I get away with just fitting the rear silencer box to the large bore intermediate pipe?

3. If the standard system is not suitable, would the Sports Twin Silencer System B be better? Baring in mind its noise I'm trying to reduce?

any advice gratefully received,

Ian

Hi Ian,

I've got exactly what you describe, i.e. the 6 branch manifold going to a Y piece that converts its to the standard SS rear box. Seems to work fine and sounds great but not too loud. I think you might loose a few bhp but I'm sure its not noticeable.

Btw I got the Y piece and manifold directly from Phoenix. It was much cheaper than any ofthe other usual TR parts suppliers and they were very helpful.

Daz

As per Daz above I have the Phoenic SS manifold, originally it used to branch to twin pipes then to twin exhausts but that was too loud and fumey,, so switched to a single large bore from the Phoenix manifold to a transverse rear box similar to original. So much better and no noticeable difference to performance, but so, so much quieter and the fumes have gone.

I too bought direct from Phoenix Exhausts in Cullompton. A straight fit no problem fitting.

Alan

Edited by barkerwilliams

Standard PI rear boxes have 2 x inlets so if you have a single pipe from front to back, it wont work.

That's what you use the Y piece for!

It converts the single large bore pipe to the standard twin.

• 2 months later...

Hello,My U.S. bought TR6 has 6 into 1 extractors into a single 2.5 exhaust reduced into a standard single in twin out muffler and it sounds as loud as the "church mouse" ( I have a 2.5 in/out muffler to fit). Regards,Michael.

Hi Ian.

My car had a twin pipe stainless system with a stainless twin outlet muffler and the original cast iron manifold.  I replaced the manifold with a set of 6 into 1 mild steel extractors maded by Pacesetter  in the US (needed a little massaging to clear the RH steering shaft) after the stainless set I ordered from Rimmers didn't fit.  I then made up my own 2.25"single pipe system with a generic 3-chamber muffler and single outlet.  The difference in performance is amazing and the sound is nice but not exceedingly loud.

From what I can see, the standard style muffler (or my stainless version of it) is very restrictive due to its design.  The car previously felt  that way, but now it pulls really strongly from idle through to the redline.  I certainly wouldn't consider changing back, the motor is now a delight. 

Gavin

15451962672681.jpg

15451962671970.jpg

Edited by KiwiTR6
spelling

Phoenix once made straight-through silencers with a brace of perforated tubes in them to satisfy the existing TUV regulations; I have one on my driver and it makes just the right amount of noise. Two previous ones with these were louder, and one was extra glass-packed. Years later I tried to get another and was told they can't get the perforated stainless tubing now, so tough luck.

My concourse car has the Phoenix large bore cross box which is much louder. As difficult as it must be to fabricate, maybe there's no way to stuff glass in the box.

So as of now, aside from the stock spec silencers I don't know of any " quiet " options from the usual suspects.

Cheers,

Tom