Important day today - 50 years old

50 years ago today, my car CC25017L, which is the oldest surviving production Triumph TR6, rolled off the production line in Coventry.

19th September 1968 was the first day of production of the TR6. This date is very often ignored or forgotten.

I will be raising a virtual glass to the car today. I may even have a non-virtual/real beer this evening!

Do please join me in celebrating this significant event.

David

Edited by david ferry

I don't know why this date is ignored.

I feel that it is important.

It was at Malvern in the Survivor's display one year I think. Alternatively, it could have been another 1st day of production car CC25032L that I also owned.

That car was sold and has been very sympathetically restored.

Anyway, CC25017L was displayed at the NEC Classic Car show in 2015, and here's a photo from there.

post-2220-0-06591500-1537352942_thumb.jpg

David

I don't know why this date is ignored.

I feel that it is important.

It was at Malvern in the Survivor's display one year I think. Alternatively, it could have been another 1st day of production car CC25032L that I also owned.

That car was sold and has been very sympathetically restored.

Anyway, CC25017L was displayed at the NEC Classic Car show in 2015, and here's a photo from there.

attachicon.gifDSC_9559.jpg

David

It does seem very strange...How has the TR Register marked the 50 years...have there been any special celebrations, meetings etc?

The official worldwide launch of the TR6 was the 14th January 1969 and in the UK it was released by the Dealerships for sale from April 1969 which is why the celebrations are counted from 1969. The fact that there were circa 2000 TR6 in the US dealerships waiting for release is largely ignored. Maybe we should have celebrated the first day of production or the day the first prototype was built on the 28th March 1968, or the day the first two production numbered TR6, CC25001 and CP25001 were built on the 4th July 1968, or the first showing of the styling prototype GKV 672E was shown in December 1967. The fact that 1969 has been chosen follows the tradition set by its predecessors and that was what was used for the 30th and 40th celebrations. As to what is planned next year to celebrate this anniversary by the TR Register, who know?

Maybe once we know if, when and where the International is going to be held will the form of celebration be decided and an organiser appointed. The only definite celebration sorted as I write this is being held in Germany in Osnabruck over the weekend of the 7th to 10th June by TR Register Germany e.V.

With regards to David's TR6 it is fantastic to note that CC25017L is 50 years old today and it is to be celebrated that David brought it back to the UK and that it is the oldest known production TR6 in existence.

Derek

TR6 Day 2019__TR Register Deutschland eV_Flyer_EN_WEB.PDF

Oops just spotted a mistake in the date for the TR Register Germany 50th celebration for the TR6. It is in fact being held over the weekend of the 14th to 16th June 2019 with the 15th being the day in Osnabruck.  The 7th to the 10th June is when TR Register Germany  have their yearly national meeting, which will take place in Linstow, which is a small town between Berlin and Hamburg so a "two events in one trip" should be possible for those planning to attend from the UK.

Derek