What headlights to upgrade to

Hi all.

Got my 7 V8 rolling again after about 10 years and working through the job list.

Just rebuilt the light switch. I have another on order as its one of those parts you don't want to fail when your in the middle of knowhere.

It reminded me that the headlights weren't great at piercing the gloom so I was wondering about an upgrade.

I still have sealed beam units but there are a host of options out there. Mine a UK RHD.

Seems theres conversion kits and different bulb types and powers.

Anyone got any experience or advice.

I simply use the Rimmers Hella Halogen upgrade with Halfords super brilliant bulbs inside - still good after years of night rallies and Round Britain Runs !!

If you are increasing the wattage substantially then it's a good idea to relay your headlamps. It takes the strain off the original wiring by passing a lower current draw through the open cage switch and also helps to prevent that green fur that builds up on the contacts.

There's some good advice here:

https://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/67200-headlights/?hl=cibie&do=findComment&comment=597376

It's about non-wedge TRs but still relevant.

Nigel

Thanks for the replies.

Just to hijack my own thread. But i thought i would share my pain.

I fitted a new light switch. In order:-

Up position = off = works (oxymoron!)

Mid position = side lights on = works.

Bottom position = Headlights up and on = works.

Mid position = side light on & headlight up but not on = doesn't work. Not a big issue and convenient for changing the headlights.

Up position = off and lights down = works.

Obviously the issue is with the switch/wiring at the switch.  Im learning that on this car everthing has to come apart atleast twice.

Currently trialing a pair of these:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2pcs-7-90W-Land-Rover-Defender-LED-Headlights-Headlamp-RHD-90-110-Hi-Lo-Beam/302548291567?_trkparms=aid%3D555017%26algo%3DPL.CASSINI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20170221124951%26meid%3Da12c467110b3434281e2d3261ccaba7b%26pid%3D100643%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26%26itm%3D302548291567&_trksid=p2045573.c100643.m3226

Lights sorted. The switch was upside down relative to the connector. So the pins didn't all align.

because the new switch had a housing (with the light symbol) that didn't fit in my facia panel i took the switch out and used the original housing. I thought i had it the same way up but obviously not. Though i am surprised the connector wasn't polerised so it would only go the correct way up.