Vacuum Pipe fitment

Hi Sages,

I am about to fit a new vacuum pipe from carb to distributor. As I have H6 carbs, my pipe has a female end (dizzy) and male end (carb) and two tiny little olives.

Is there a trick or standard protocol for fitting these? I ask because last time I replaced it, the olives didn't really work and my pipe fell out :blink: .

Thank you.

Tim

Hi Tim,

I mentioned in my crazy TR4 rebuild blog a problem in getting the pipe to fit.

I have the same ends as you.

The first problem was trying to get the correct end fittings.

Once that was done the pipe fitted well.

Check the carb threaded hole where the pipe goes in and make sure that is what you actually require.

I think you should have pipe 24 or 23 https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/electrical-system/ignition-system/ignition-system-tr2-4a.html

I'm sure I called Burlen for help in the end.

Roger

Tim,

I have just fitted a new pipe to my 3A, type 23 in the Moss drawing. Make sure you push the pipe fully home at each end and then tighten the nuts sufficiently to ensure the olives grip the pipe enough to stay in position.

The difference in performance and fuel consumption was astonishing, I can only assume the old one (original from 1958) was blocked.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

It took me many years to discover that I needed a reducer in my manifold for the male fitting to fit. I thought that it was just loose but ot needed the reducer. When it was being tuned this summer the pipe was found to have petrol in it feeding to the distributor.

I fitted a pipe with a trap from Moss and now fuel can not reach the distributor.

good luck.

Richard