Prep & respray estimates and final costs - advice please

Hi Pete,

There's the rub, I suppose it took twenty hours alone just to strip the wings. Unfortunately a USA body shop had used a pall pein hammer to remove dents and then just bondo'd over the top. The wings were as factory condition just badly panel beaten or not at all just a plasterer finished off.

The time involved makes no sense if commercially done as it makes the car a no pay back deal. I reckon I put over 1000 hrs into mine, probably took me longer than a pro due to learning curve on new things like trim, electrics, and also working on my own. Removing engine and gearbox on my own it certainly a task not to be undertaken lightly.

You certainly find ways round the lack of another pair of hands and the end result is all the more satisfying and worth it. Anyone that knows me is well aware of the detail I go to and this also takes time. I do tend to over think things but the results do indicate that people appreciate the work I did. 3 "Best in show" over the last three years is gratifying although I never enter for any competition as I am of the opinion rightly or wrongly that cheque book restoration is not in the spirit of the car and people appreciate the work done by enthusiasts.

BR Rod

post-7648-0-23710900-1537355421_thumb.jpg

post-7648-0-83844200-1537355561_thumb.jpg

post-7648-0-16963700-1537355584_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all the responses and the PM's which help me understand what I should have expected and I think confirms my initial view which was if an estimate proves to be wrong there should be good communication throughout and it should never be a big surprise at the end when the bill comes through.

In my case I was provided an estimate and made it clear I didn't want any surprises and that I wanted to make any decisions around what was being done if anything above the estimate as I had budgeted a certain amount for this work.

I went to the bodyshop regularly and they kept me closely informed of all the additional welding and I made decisions around what they should and shouldn't do there, but they were close to finishing the car when they informed me of all the additional time that they had spent on items within their estimate. The only explanation was basically that's the way it is with classic cars. At that time they estimated the amount to completion which I paid, making it very clear that I was not impressed with their approach. Subsequent to that when I get the car back they inform me that they incurred a further 112 hours, again they hadn't communicated this to me in advance, and they have not clearly shown why the numbers changed from the estimate.

My problem is not really whether it should have taken 600 hours or 200 hours, but that the estimate should be realistic and changes should be clearly communicated. I should not receive an estimate for a 200 hour job if the expectation is that they will do a 500 hour job as it should be my decision how I want to spend my money.

I have now heard that I am not alone in being treated like this by this supplier although it seems not by a TR owner as I checked with the TR register office and they haven't received any complaints about this supplier, who regularly advertises in the TR Action magazine which was one of the reasons I felt confident using them.

Yes I think members should know about places where fellow members have had a disappointing experience as long as all the facts are given. We can then make an informed decision on whether to avoid or indeed to ignore & gain our own experience. In this particular case I would be put off because the supplier appears to have been very bad in communicating with the customer.

When I get time I do plan to file a complaint to the TR register office which I believe will be available to all members based on the note around complaints in TR Action as I don't want others to face the same issues. However, if anyone is planning on starting anything soon and want to know who this is they can PM me, but I don't want to name them on a public forum, even though I don't believe I've done anything other than state certain facts here.

When I get time I do plan to file a complaint to the TR register office which I believe will be available to all members based on the note around complaints in TR Action as I don't want others to face the same issues. However, if anyone is planning on starting anything soon and want to know who this is they can PM me, but I don't want to name them on a public forum, even though I don't believe I've done anything other than state certain facts here.

If i remember correctly if you file a complaint to the office it will go on record but not public knowledge unless the question is asked....

It sounds like you have been unfairly treated regarding keeping you 'in the loop'.

If you need to chat please feel free to pm me :)

Tom