TR3A Performance Engine Rebuild Advice

Back on earth, the Tim option is very good compromise. More generally the injection option. 
The 2 options i know are to use a weber pipe on TR3/4 or the SU pipe with only two injectors.

But i wonder, can i find pipe or pipes for 4 single barrel throttle bodies to avoid the swan necks, be perfectly inline and save a little more space for air filters and large nice ram pipes that are important as they allow a big increase in air flow ?

Of course it can be home made, but it is a lot of work, so if a product already exist, it would be much easier.

Hi Tim,

I have sent an email for this pipe question and to know if it can be flex-fuel to use anything from regular to E85, E85 being great to avoid detonation, low cost here (0,6€), but not available everywhere.

About the lambda probe. where dit you put it on the collector ?
I read that 90Cm from head is better to avoid over heating of the large band that are more sensitive. It will also allow to mesure the 4 cylinders together, But with such a long distance will i get a time shift making the engine response longer ? 

Edited by Kistinie

Kistinie,

My system was set up on the rolling road at Emerald using 97 ron fuel although as I understand it the ECU will detect detonation and make adjustments accordingly.Sorry but no idea about a lambda probe being fitted, my mechanic did all the work. When tuning the car on the rolling road there was a probe inserted into the end of the exhaust pipe.The distributor was replaced with a coil pack sourced from a Ford Fiesta or Focus. All the programming was carried out via a laptop linked to the ECU.I'd suggest you contact Emerald, they are extremely helpfull. 

Tim

Whuy not fit a exhaust driven turbo and use the e-compressor to fill in the hole in boost at low rpm ?  Why:  the ecompressor boost falls off at the rpm needed for overatking ca 3000 rpm................the feel of the torque dying off just when it is needed might not be pleasant, or safe  .

E85 would only be needed under boost , and at a flow rate proprotional to MAP, so a single point injector might suffice, And Emerald for petrol mixtures.

Peter

Hi Tim,

If you do not have a knock sensor, the ECU will not retard the timing in the event of detonation.

I have the Emerald kit on my 6, and it does not have a knock sensor.

You can however, install a 3-way map switch, for around £15, whereby Emerald can have three different maps set up. For example, full power, poor fuel and economy. Poor fuel, causing detonation, can be switched to allow the timing to be retarded in this event, to eradicate.

Cheers.

Hi Kistinie,

The ECU controls all activity inside the coil pack. 

The distributor is removed entirely, and a blanking plate fitted, and is shimmed accordingly.

I have a lambda probe that just comes off the extractor manifold, before joining to my 2.5" exhaust system (TR6).  I then have an AFR gauge in the cabin, attached via a bracket on the H-frame. A small hole was made in the gearbox tunnel to feed it through. 

Cheers.

6 hours ago, Kistinie said:

Edited by iani
2 hours ago, TRTOM2498PI said:

Hi Tim,

If you do not have a knock sensor, the ECU will not retard the timing in the event of detonation.

I have the Emerald kit on my 6, and it does not have a knock sensor.

You can however, install a 3-way map switch, for around £15, whereby Emerald can have three different maps set up. For example, full power, poor fuel and economy. Poor fuel, causing detonation, can be switched to allow the timing to be retarded in this event, to eradicate.

Cheers.

Thanks for the info Tom, much appreciated. Have you used the heritage units and what power did you register on the rolling road.

Tim

Hi Tim,

I used Jenvey throttle bodies actually.

185 BHP at the flywheel, with pops, crackles and flames enabled at Emerald.

My engine was built back in 2011, and covered over 70k miles. The cam chosen at time of build was geared around Lucas PI, so couldn't go too hot. - (Newman hybrid cam)

Planning an engine re-fresh this winter, with a Newman PH5 cam, which I am hoping should be quite entertaining.

Cheers.

• 1 month later...

On 11/25/2019 at 5:55 PM, TRTOM2498PI said:

Hi Kistinie,

The ECU controls all activity inside the coil pack. 

The distributor is removed entirely, and a blanking plate fitted, and is shimmed accordingly.

I have a lambda probe that just comes off the extractor manifold, before joining to my 2.5" exhaust system (TR6).  I then have an AFR gauge in the cabin, attached via a bracket on the H-frame. A small hole was made in the gearbox tunnel to feed it through. 

Cheers.

Hi,

Thank you for this information.
So an AFR can be connect in parallel with the ECU to have a direct reading ? Good to know.
About Emerald, they said they can manage full flex fuel with a Ford probe. 
For the ECU, here in France we have a manufacturer called Skynam used for prototype racer and vintage retrofit. I will ask them if they also can manage flex fuel and a knock sensor. 
http://www.skynam.com/index.php?id_lang=1

About Jenvey Heritage DCOE throttle bodies. What is the recommended size ? 40, 45, 48  ?

Does anybody knows an air filter + inlet Weber pipe reference combination going with the Jenvey DCOE to clear TR3A wing without any modification ?
Same question with a regular shorter throttle bodies to gain space to allow efficient air horn and i suppose a better air flow ?

About camshaft, with a 5500 Rpm red line and standard lift rockers, what are the options you would consider ?

And to end this festival of questions, also asked in a manifold subtopic, For a TR3A high port head, Bendix starter and alternator, as price is rather not equivalent, is there a significant quality or performance gap between the Phoenix and Revington SS 4 in 1manifold ? Any experience or advice ?

Thank's !
François

Edited by Kistinie
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2018 at 5:24 PM, Kutscher said:

Hi Kretean,

You can go different ways to power up your engine.

I dit a lot off experiments to power up my TR2. reduce 

The best option a tried is the Judson Supercharger.

The TR engine with a Judson produce about 40 % more HP with 4-5 Psi pressure, but this is only archived when the Judson is at low temperature.

How longer you drive, the Judson heats up. This is because the Judson is placed above the exhaust and the contact from the vanes to the body.

Also is the Holley carb to small for the higher RPM range.

Beside this, the drivability off the Judson is fantastic. Very stable idle speed, a lot of engine torque at low RPM.

Starting the engine takes a little while, because the petrol mixture from the carb to the inlet manifold is a little bit longer.

I now almost finished building my TR2 with a Shorrock Supercharger with a 2" SU carb. This is the best way to go because.....

The Shorrock is placed on the other side of the engine, so it can't heat up by the exhaust. And its vanes make no contact with the body off the Supercharger.

In addition this Shorrock Supercharger can gives much more PSI than the Judson.

There are some pictures from the Judson and Shorrock on my website. https://www.triumph-tr2.com.

Robin

Ceramic coating  a branch exhaust manifold manifold would significantly reduce the engine bay temp but its not cheap

steve

11 hours ago, Nobbysr said:

Ceramic coating  a branch exhaust manifold manifold would significantly reduce the engine bay temp but its not cheap

steve

There was a back to back test a while ago by a member no longer with us. 

the results were it looked nice but didn’t do much for heat reduction.