Steering Wheel; Thin or Fat rim?

Hi folks

Needing some advice as to which steering wheel my car should have? She is a 1969 UK PI which I'm trying to keep as original as possible.

The wheel I have needs restoring and has a "Thin" rubber rim with 3 slotted chrome spokes which is peeling. After a bit of search looking at various pics there seems to be two types Thin or Fat rim. Which one should a 69 car have and can anyone advise of a good leather DIY which would fit a "Thin" rim?

Also any ideas regarding the chrome?

Thanks in advance.

Andy

69' TR6's have a unique steering wheel which has 3 black 'spokes' which have round holes in. I don't have a picture of one but I am sure someone will come up with one for you to see. They are pretty rare now but can still be got! The rim is fairly thin and 'leather' wrapped.

Cheers John

Edited by John390

Hi Andy, just a thought, but is your car a CP25xxx or CP26xxx? If it is that would make it a 69' model TR6. But your TR6 could of been built in 69' but be a 70' model. This would be a CP50xxx (or greater) car, and would have a steering wheel as you previously described.

Cheers John

Hi Andy, just a thought, but is your car a CP25xxx or CP26xxx? If it is that would make it a 69' model TR6. But your TR6 could of been built in 69' but be a 70' model. This would be a CP50xxx (or greater) car, and would have a steering wheel as you previously described.

Cheers John

Hi John

Just checked she is a CP260180 registered 19.5.69 so an early one.

So she has a later 1970 wheel which is the wrong one.

Andy

Edited by PodOne

That will be CP26018 O! The last O standing for overdrive. Yes the car is a 69' model and would of come with the black steering wheel pictured. There are many other differences between a 69' car and later models. Rocker cover, seats, windscreen surround colour and interior trim are the main differences other than the steering wheel!

Cheers John

Edited by John390

Thanks John

Sounds like the 69 trim is a rare then! I didn't realise there would be such short lived differences to 1970.

I have no trim other than two knackered seats (no headrests) and dash to go on, any pointers as to where/if this can be reproduced.

The rocker should be ok as she has a matching engine. Bonus!

Edited by PodOne

Andy, some images attached showing some of the unique features for the 1969 model, rostyle wheel trims, two piece side indicator repeaters, black & gold radiator hoses, steering wheel, painted windscreen surround, rear wing to deck beading, horseshoe back non reclining seats. Hopefully you have most of these with your TR6 as some of them are quite difficult to get hold of. The photos are of Graham Andrews winning survivor class TR6 from this years International weekend.

cheers

Derek

post-1290-0-51719600-1537250624_thumb.jpg

post-1290-0-41609400-1537250637_thumb.jpg

post-1290-0-96378400-1537250649_thumb.jpg

post-1290-0-56922700-1537250663_thumb.jpg

Thanks saffron for those excellent showroom images of an original 69 car...John 390 note the Rocker cover is silver painted (like my CP26309) not chrome.

Mine has the original black spoke wheel (safely stored under the bed) as I preferred a smaller wheel I fitted a similar style.

Another early difference where the gauges had black rims. And apparently the Black tail was 'Matt' black not Satin black.

post-8693-0-51382500-1537259426_thumb.jpg

Hi Derek, Dennis and John

Thanks for the pics, these will help a lot.

Mine is also Damson and the window surround is also painted Damson. I was not orginally planing to be too fussy with regard to her been totaly original but the deeper I get into restoring her the more I feel I want to keep her OEM as much as possible to the point I'm trying to use OEM parts as they crop up in the usual places or keep what I have.

The rocker cover on mine is silver, there are a few scaps of the tan interior I've found, but the seats are black and recliners with no head rests and the door capings are black. (I suspect the interior has been replace with a later black one at some point).The dash is correct and the gauges have black surrounds so correct. My wheels however are minus the rostyle trims.

I need an orginal 1969 steering wheel, non recliner seats, rims and replacement front split lens as mine are cracked. Otherwise I think everything is more or less here so far.

Cheers

Andy