Clutch- Soft pedal

Something strange going on and I cant quite fathom it.

Doing a fairly long Rally in a months time, so just going round and fettling as necessary.

Clutch free play was on the list as the pickup point seemed to have risen....

Free play adjusted, to 0.079" and then after a quick drive I have an inch of very soft pedal at the top of the stroke?

Checked the movement of the actuating arm was 5/8" and all good. Does not appear to be a broken pin in the cross shaft.

Bleed the system with difficulty, yes the bleed nipple is at the top of the S/C. Nice firm pedal at 09.30 yesterday morning.

Just gone out to check and the pedal has gone soft for the first depression....... :unsure:

No signs of fluid leaks on S/C

Removed the rubber dust cap from the M/C and their is a red gunge around the end of the push rod and the circlip...grease from new?

Certainly not crystalline structure that I used to associate with leaking DOT4

Any thoughts welcome.

Iain

red Gunge its the correct cylinder grease, usually get a small sachet with replacement seal kits as well.

Bleeding quite often generates the odd air bubble, and then when left to stand they can rise/collect, so next press on pedal feels soft. The important thing is has it now gone away. A few times I have had clutch's that are almost determined not to bleed correctly even when pressured and reverse flow bled, and you know when finished there is still air in there! and then all on their own a day or two later they are suddenly fine.