Round Britain Reliability Run

Hi Chaps,

I am not sure this is nesscaryly the correct place for this, but I am going to attempt the Round Britain Reliability Run in a couple of weeks in my TR6 with my sister as co-driver. For those who don't know about the RBRR it is 2000 miles in 48hours with a rough route of Knebworh-John'o'groats-Lands End-Knebworth. Have attempted it twice before in my friends Stag with one failure (timing chains) and one successful completion. Looks like there are going to be close to 150 triumphs represented. So.. Is anyone else from the register doing it? Would be good to know I am in good company. Or is anyone planning to watch (The rough timings of the check points have just been published so could share if you are interested.

Cheers

tim

PS it is in aid of Epilepsy research If you fancy sponsoring us our just giving site is https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/timandracheldafforn

It's a Great Event! You will have blast doing it!

Especially with only two in the car, it's a serious sleep deprivation stress, which most can manage. But please, plan to take an hour or two after the finish, to have a sleep! Just a short zizz makes all the differenc. We do not want anyone having an incident once the pressure's off, for their sake and because in the current "no-risk" atmosphere, that could cause the RBRR to be banned!

John

Don't worry we are staying in a hotel less than a mile from the finish. We found last time that the sleep management worked ok if you made sure you didn't have too much coffee. There is way more leg room in a tr than you ever get in economy transatlantic.

We'll look out for you Tim. This will be our second time! Some think we are slow learners!

We found the stretch from Exeter to Land's End was the hardest bit and pulled over for half an hours kip. Like you we're booked in to a hotel for the Sunday night (plus i've taken Thursday & Friday off work before the run).

We are applying a bead of bathroom sealant to the hoodrail to minimise water ingress but plan to take waterproofs as well because the sidescreens flap about a bit!

Ben & Vicky

Impressive, doing it in a sidescreen car. We have the luxury of a hard top. The Exeter to lands end bit is home territory for me so found it ok. It was the bit from Dartmoor to Dorset that wound me up. Too tired, too many slow cars, too little time.

Hi Tim,

I will be at Blyth Services on the A1 , your first stop.

What time are the first cars arriving there please ?

Conrad.

This should help Conrad.
Borrowed from RBRR FB page. Blyth doesn't feature this year. I think because it was felt that it was too close to Knebworth and it caused congestion at the signing in Control as the field hadn't spread out enough.

post-13503-0-29702500-1537110505_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ben Freer

To stay awake, avoid sugar !!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactive_hypoglycemia

that Mars bar will have you in a ditch, or worse.

Edited by Peter Cobbold

Absolutely! Plenty of water as well.. It's amazing how you can dehydrate in a warm car with good airflow

We found satsumas were very good for keeping us awake. Apparently it's the citrus smell that does it. An old lorry drivers trick.

Other TRR drivers? Yes, Tim Hunt from the Lea Valley Group will be there - car 74 - for the TWENTYSECOND TIME, and all in the same TR4A!!!! Tim is also a 'big wheel' in CT.

The LVG will be there to soak in the atmosphere and wave them off.

Hi Chaps,

I am not sure this is nesscaryly the correct place for this, but I am going to attempt the Round Britain Reliability Run in a couple of weeks in my TR6 with my sister as co-driver. For those who don't know about the RBRR it is 2000 miles in 48hours with a rough route of Knebworh-John'o'groats-Lands End-Knebworth. Have attempted it twice before in my friends Stag with one failure (timing chains) and one successful completion. Looks like there are going to be close to 150 triumphs represented. So.. Is anyone else from the register doing it? Would be good to know I am in good company. Or is anyone planning to watch (The rough timings of the check points have just been published so could share if you are interested.

Cheers

tim

PS it is in aid of Epilepsy research If you fancy sponsoring us our just giving site is https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/timandracheldafforn

Hi Tim

I'll be doing the run also in a 4a, but I can't promise you'll be in good company! I think there are 139 starters at the moment.

Kevin

Hi Folks,

towards the end of the 2014 RBRR I had to double up on the driving as my son was seriously tired (unlike our 2010 run when I was on planet Zog).

I took a couple of ProPlus tablets but after 20 minutes nothing was happening. So I downed a tin of RedBull - wow

Within a minute I could feel my toe nails curling, ears flapping.

My eye lids smacked open and I stayed like that from about 3.30pm on the Sunday till about midnight.

I must have looked crazed entering the car park at the end at 6pm.

Roger

We had Proplus with us on 2016 but didn't need to dig in.. Interesting what you said about red bull.. Only had it once and didn't sleep for 36 hours... Aim is to reserve any of the "chemical" enhancers as long as possible. In 2016 we set up a routine.. Driver had a coffee at the begining of each leg. The co-driver stayed awake until the driver was happy that everything was OK and then went to sleep (even in the middle of the day). About 15 miles from the next stop the driver woke the co-driver who was then awake for the next stint (after a coffee)..

Worked pretty well!

Cheers

Tim

PS the Main challenge was falling asleep on the first morning.. scotland is soooo beautiful!

Hi Tim,

my first RBRR in 2010 was not good. Couldn't sleep, even in the 1 hour compulsory stops.

Through Saturday night/Sunday morning going through the Welsh countryside I mentioned to Russell (son. co-driver) I didn't know we were going into any ravines/gorges.

The headlights were illuminating every nook and cranny of the rock structure - very very impressive.

Russell said that we were in a country lane with a few trees either side - oops!!! time to change drivers

By the time we got back to the pub the lack of sleep had done its trick. I was on planet Zog and hadn't got a clue.

Russel didn't know the route home - we got lost coming home and i wasn't much help.

Roger

Yer all nuts , driv,n that far in such a short time,

no to mentionee the amount of time it teks t,get t,the start spot,

quote frae some of me Marras that ev done it,

last 100 miles, kept awake with Red bull and a dig int ribs noo an then.

we wer half asleep of last 50 miles,

stopped fora pish stop, an fell asleep.

it wont be long befoer there some serious accidents on this, and then the sheite will really hit the fan whenst it comes t,light whats been going on,!!!

M

Alan,

Yes tried it on the last RBRR. Worked well

Tim

Yer all nuts , driv,n that far in such a short time,

no to mentionee the amount of time it teks t,get t,the start spot,

quote frae some of me Marras that ev done it,

last 100 miles, kept awake with Red bull and a dig int ribs noo an then.

we wer half asleep of last 50 miles,

stopped fora pish stop, an fell asleep.

it wont be long befoer there some serious accidents on this, and then the sheite will really hit the fan whenst it comes t,light whats been going on,!!!

M

+1

I once fell asleep at the wheel 50 years ago - with my eyes open. Woke up the wrong side of the dotted white line heading for an open gate into a field.

Never again...

Peter

You do all know the regulations for professional drivers?

No more than nine hours in twenty four, with at least a 40 min break after four and a half? Of course anyone in reasonable health can do the RBRR, but it pushes the envelope about as far as possible.

Living in the North West, it can be a long haul when I go racing, six or eight hours to some venues, and I feel it. My recomendations; coffee, a double espresso, chocolate contain s caffeine too - why do you think that Yorkie bars are the truckers friend? - and chewing gum. Any flavour, it's the chewing that seems to help keep you awake!

But start rested, and rest asap after the finish!

John

You do all know the regulations for professional drivers?

No more than nine hours in twenty four, with at least a 40 min break after four and a half?

John

For a full explanation of driving times for LGV drivers https://www.returnloads.net/hgv-drivers-hours-explained/

Stuart.

Hi Folks,

towards the end of the 2014 RBRR I had to double up on the driving as my son was seriously tired (unlike our 2010 run when I was on planet Zog).

I took a couple of ProPlus tablets but after 20 minutes nothing was happening. So I downed a tin of RedBull - wow

Within a minute I could feel my toe nails curling, ears flapping.

My eye lids smacked open and I stayed like that from about 3.30pm on the Sunday till about midnight.

I must have looked crazed entering the car park at the end at 6pm.

Roger

So you had a good dose of red eye then,

Bruce,