Fuel gauge glass gets condensation? TR3a

Gents,

Not a major issue but within a few minutes after start up the fuel gauge gets a thin film of condensation on the inside of the lens, This disappears after 5-10 minutes. Gauges were rebuilt prior to installation and the sender unit checked and seemed OK if a bit unrealistic/optimistic, ok just wrong, at times during driving.

Should I be worried, what should I check?

BR

Rod

Rod,

Gauge warms in use and "pressurises" the internal air which vents to atmosphere. As Gauge cools it draws air in which contains moisture which eventually condenses out on the internals. After many cycles the volume of moisture in the gauge has increased and is noticeable. After the car has been running for a few minutes and the electrical internals have warmed and driven off any moisture the glass is still cold and it condenses out.

I find that after perhaps 20 minutes of running the glass has also warmed and cleared.

The gauge could be dried with a silica gel packet but moisture would reappear after the car had been used a number of times.

Alan

Hi Rod,

the misting may also happen without the lights on.

The gauge works on a heated element so will always produce some heat.

Warm moist air inside or outside the gauge contacting the cold glass causes the problem.

Change the glass to Perspex should sort it but will look wrong.

Roger

Mine does the same, I put it down to a small amount of moisture trapped inside, which when in use is heated by the two coils.

Rogers gauge is different in not having coils, but a heated strip, but the effect is the same.

Bob.

A tony dob of washing up liquid wiped on the inside will keep the glass clear looking by preventing the moisture from beading.

Hi Richard,

the lighting will help as it will warm the glass up quicker.

Roger

End this is an advantage compare to the LED...

Regards