Correct Wire Wheel Tyre Size 185/65R15?

So i have a US spec TR6 with wire wheels and want to change all 5 tyres, tubes and bands on my wire wheels as they are over 10 years old. Currently the tyres on the wire wheels are 185/65R15.

I am doing a bit of investigation and If i was to replace with exactly the same size tyres, i have been informed that you can not use inner tubes in profiles less than 70 so it is possible the wrong tyres have been fitted.

Is anyone running wire wheels and can suggest what Tyre and size they use with inner tubes? I have seen Vredestein classics that have been mentioned in various topics, but they might be out of my price range at the moment. I have also seen Vredestein T Trac's mentioned but they only do a 185 with a 65 profile tyre so not suitable for innertubes.

Anthony

Hi Anthony, My 1969 UK spec TR6Pi was supplied new to the original owner (I'm the 3rd owner) with factory option wire wheels, which are still on the car. The original tyres were still on the car when I bought it (way back in 72) they were Dunlop SP Sport Radials, Michelin XAS were also fitted back then as well by Standard Triumph. The original tyre is still on my unused spare wheel and states on the sidewall 165/15/HR. There is no profile measurement displayed! but I measured it with a tape measure wheel rim to top of tyre is about 5 inches.

My son who is a professional Racing driver who has worked as a professional tyre tester for Bridgestone and Michelin has driven my car (now on modern Michelins 165/15 and says they produce more grip than the chassis needs! So there is no need to overload your suspension components, joints or stub axles with a wider or lower profile tyre. Unless of course you have a new chassis under your car and up rated suspension parts and stub axles?

Hope that is of some use to you?

Denis

post-8693-0-42249200-1536856602_thumb.jpg

just noticed my Honda Accords tyres are 65 profile so I measured them against my TR's tyres and it looks like the same profile to me!...My TR's wires have inner tubes of course!

Edited by Denis

As per my knowledge a 165/15 is basically with a ratio/profile ~ 80 and is equivalent to a "modern" 165/80 R15 for the size / perimeter.

Regards

T Trac 2 is available in 165 80 15 and perform as well as the Sport Classics.

Not really knowing much about tyres, but from searching this forum it seems the US spec TR6's (which is what mine is) were fitted with 185 tyres, and UK ones with 165 tyres? Can i just use 165 tyres instead, there is not a reason why i need to stay with 185 tyres?

As per my knowledge a 165/15 is basically with a ratio/profile ~ 80 and is equivalent to a "modern" 165/80 R15 for the size / perimeter.

Regards

That's my understanding too. 165/80-15 was standard fitment for early TR6s. Later cars had 185/80-15 as standard.

Nigel

For years I ran 185/60 15 tyres on wire wheels using 155 tubes.

Using a larger tube resulted in creases in the tube and multiple flat tyres after the first year or so as the tubes cracked on the folds, as well as balance problems as there were three layers of rubber in the folds.

It was a shame I found this out the hard way as I ordered the tyres and asked for appropriate tubes to go with them, and the suppliers obviously didn't know their stuff!

I have exactly the same problem with very low profile wide tyres on my hay turner and tedder machines on the farm. The originally fitted tubes were too wide and ended up splitting on the creases , 6 out of 8 did this within a few months just after the warranty ran out! Slightly thinner tubes and plenty of talc when fitting gives the best results, as I learned on my TR many years earlier.

Now I used centre laced wires and can run tubeless tyres which has saved me no end of trouble over the years.

Neil

Anthony,

Maybe not what an answer to your question, but modern wire wheels do no longer need inner tubes.

I bought a good quality set from MWS for a Healey, some 5 years ago, was very satisfied with those.

Waldi

Anthony,

Maybe not what an answer to your question, but modern wire wheels do no longer need inner tubes.

I bought a good quality set from MWS for a Healey, some 5 years ago, was very satisfied with those.

Waldi

I Wish! The Vredestein Sprint Classic 185/70R15 advised to me from longstone tyres are around £140 a tyre and i am trying to find an cheaper alternative. As much as i would like to invest in some modern wires or even alloys i just cant afford it right now. I was hoping i can find a modern tyre that is at an acceptable price around £50 a tyre that i can run on my existing wires with tubes.

All PI TR6 was fitted with either Dunlop SP Sports or Michelin XAS 165/80 x 15 from beginning to the end of production and all USA TR6 was fitted with either Michelin Red band or Goodyear Red band 185/80 x 15 tyres from the beginning to end of production. Vintage Tyres - https://www.vintagetyres.com/shop/tyres/?type=tyres&diameter=55&width=92&search=1do the Vredestein T-Trac 2 at £49 plus vat for 165/80 x 15 so these would appear to suit your needs. I can't see why you would need to fit the 185 unless you were particularly concerned about an error in your speedo reading which you must have anyway with your current 185/65 profile tyres. The taller profile tyre would also allow you to fit tubes.

Derek

All PI TR6 was fitted with either Dunlop SP Sports or Michelin XAS 165/80 x 15 from beginning to the end of production and all USA TR6 was fitted with either Michelin Red band or Goodyear Red band 185/80 x 15 tyres from the beginning to end of production. Vintage Tyres - https://www.vintagetyres.com/shop/tyres/?type=tyres&diameter=55&width=92&search=1do the Vredestein T-Trac 2 at £49 plus vat for 165/80 x 15 so these would appear to suit your needs. I can't see why you would need to fit the 185 unless you were particularly concerned about an error in your speedo reading which you must have anyway with your current 185/65 profile tyres. The taller profile tyre would also allow you to fit tubes.

Derek

Thanks for that, if an error in my speedo is the only side effect of fitting 165/80R15 then they would be fine with me. The speedo is definitely wrong at the moment anyway i know that.

Derek

The UK and US spec cars had different final drive ratios, UK is 3.45 and US is 3.7. If you put the 165's (or 195/65) on a Car with a 3.7 diff then the speedo will over read by 5-6% but the car will be a bit more nippy.

Daz