Hi to all well getting close to the end of summer so I thought I would put some pictures on so you can see what I have been up to .Chassis has been repaired reinforced and sandblasted then painted.started to put some bits on but may change tack go back to the body over the winter simply because the chassis at the moment will stand up against a wall . whichever way I go I have lots to do.

Edited by John h

Now you have the chassis done you can use that as your jig to do the body on. Shame youve painted it first but you can always give it a recoat after.

Stuart.

Stuart, (Apologies to John H as I am adding a related query).

I am at the same stage in my restoration. Chassis done, (thanks Conrad) painted and with suspension back on. Body lifted and suspended on jacks and now to work on floors and sills. Have braced the door openings, photo, and will be able to replace doors to trial fit during fitting of new body parts.

I note your comment to John to fit body back to chassis. Have read in a previous response of yours (somewhere ?) to remove floor and lower half (only) of the inner sill. Then refit new floor. Then remove and replace remaining part of inner sill and outer sill. With its structural integrity retained by the braces and upper half of sill, can this work be done with body off the chassis without anything moving as it provides better access ??

I assume I can then drop body onto the chassis and fit any required packing pieces.

Have you any other hints or links to your other responses.

Thanks, David B

post-15466-0-93449700-1537175622_thumb.jpg

Stuart, (Apologies to John H as I am adding a related query).

I am at the same stage in my restoration. Chassis done, (thanks Conrad) painted and with suspension back on. Body lifted and suspended on jacks and now to work on floors and sills. Have braced the door openings, photo, and will be able to replace doors to trial fit during fitting of new body parts.

I note your comment to John to fit body back to chassis. Have read in a previous response of yours (somewhere ?) to remove floor and lower half (only) of the inner sill. Then refit new floor. Then remove and replace remaining part of inner sill and outer sill. With its structural integrity retained by the braces and upper half of sill, can this work be done with body off the chassis without anything moving as it provides better access ??

I assume I can then drop body onto the chassis and fit any required packing pieces.

Have you any other hints or links to your other responses.

Thanks, David B

attachicon.gifIMG_0998.jpg

You could do it like that but due to the way the floors fit under the front and rear bulkheads its easier to do that with the shell upside down as you have well braced it.

Like this.

Stuart.

post-3753-0-55709900-1537178066_thumb.jpg

post-3753-0-39008300-1537178103_thumb.jpg

post-3753-0-87697300-1537178186_thumb.jpg

post-3753-0-76274400-1537178235_thumb.jpg

post-3753-0-55990600-1537178396_thumb.jpg

post-3753-0-74069700-1537178272_thumb.jpg

post-3753-0-08127600-1537178338_thumb.jpg

Stuart,

Thanks for v prompt response. Pickies are excellent and explain lots, particularly view showing sill mounting brackets which I thought would be tricky to fit if I were welding from underneath and of course the lower sills seam. Other welds thought I could puddle from above. Will now try to work out how to turn the body over.

John, Where are you ? Any where near Kent so we can meet and discuss difficulties as we are at a similar stage.

Stuart, Have also looked at your garage site. Good info also.

Thanks again, David B

Check out cheftush YouTube channel.

He uses shaped plywood section to roll and stand the car on.

View from about 2mins

Chris fisher has done similar on a spitfire

May be an option

H

Edited by Hamish

Hi David - We met at Chatham earlier in the year when you were waiting for the car to arrive from the US - it looks as if you are making great progress.

The offer of a spare pair of hands to help still stands so please send me a PM if there is anything I can help you with.

Regards

Andrew