Thermostat housing threads kaput!

I've started replacing the hoses and thermostat plus gaskets to cure a coolant loss which I think I've now traced to the thermostat housing - there are literally no threads to hold the thermostat housing bolts in.

Solutions, anyone? Replacement housing / manifold or helicoil - if the latter, what size do I require?

I bought two replacement bolts - (sorry setscrews! ) - GHF163 short and GHF164 long but the longer is at least 1/4 inch if not more longer than the one I removed. I've no idea why, but the old screws that I removed grip the remains of the threads much better than the new ones, but it's still not enough to hold.

I'm sure I'm not the first to have this problem so all tips appreciated.

Found out the reason for the old screws' better grip - Araldite.

In any case I've removed most of the engine so the inlet manifold will be tapped and helicoiled whilst off the car; Helicoil kit in 5/16 already purchased.

HI Ulster,

have you got a name. I'm Roger.

The GHF163 type screws are 5/16 UNC.

If the manifold holes are the same then use Helicoils on the thermo housing also.

It is interesting that they use screws and not bolts.

Keep everything greased up on fitting to reduce corrosion.

Roger

HI Ulster,

have you got a name. I'm Roger.

The GHF163 type screws are 5/16 UNC.

If the manifold holes are the same then use Helicoils on the thermo housing also.

It is interesting that they use screws and not bolts.

Keep everything greased up on fitting to reduce corrosion.

Roger

I’m thinking he may be a Colin by where he lives and the Cars he has.

Niall my old mate you are spot on!

Haven't seen you in a while but I hope you and yours are doing well? As you can see I've been smitten by some of the excellent TRs your area has and have decided to take the plunge.