Rear Leaf springs

My car is running very well at last. Now I can concentrate on the suspension. The back is too low and hits the kerb sometimes. I have seen a TR3 at the monthly meet with much greater clearance. I am searching for a supplier. I am OK with the handling but the clearance is my problem.

I have found some springs made in Sheffield, which sounds appealing ,but they are £400.00 per pair. Where do the Moss springs come from ?

I heard that someone had spring leaf twisting problems.

Any advice please

Richard

I started off with TR shop "uprated" springs. ran them for a couple of years, but realised that there were rather too harsh for my liking.

Now have standard springs, from Rimmers, which give the same ride height, but are more comfortable.

Bob.

I put Moss ones on my TR2 about 3 years ago. Rear ride height is good and it handles like a TR2 with no suspension mods.

Edited by John McCormack
  • 2 weeks later...

All

Having recently completely stripped my TR2 chassis prior to blasting and powder coating, I noted that my rear leaf springs had seen better days. Two of the leaf clips had broken at some time in past and they were very rusty. I believe they are original TR2. As I am doing a ground up restoration I decided to order new front and rear springs but I wanted to keep the standard spec so I ordered a pair of standard rear leaf springs from Rimmers (Part 208636). To say I am disappointed with what arrived is an understatement, I am hoping to get some feedback from the knowledgable forum members on here by posting some photos of new and old leaf springs.

The new springs are very poorly painted and would need repainting to be acceptable against a newly painted chassis, all of the leaf clips are too tall and don't touch the top of the leaves, some of the leaves are twisted (not parallel to each other), the springs are different heights, the leaf clamps only have one rivet vice two on the originals...to summarise they look like they were made by a trainee. The label on them says heritage original equipment..

Am I expecting too much of a critical new part for my car? Has anyone found any that are quality, and are made properly? I have no problem in paying top money for a quality item and know these were that expensive but i'm getting a bit bored of paying good money for cr@p parts. I hope this helps Richard

Regards

Ade

IMG_0643.jpg

IMG_0642.jpg

IMG_0640.jpg

IMG_0638.jpg

IMG_0636.jpg

IMG_0645.jpg

IMG_0632.jpg

IMG_0633.jpg

IMG_0634.jpg

IMG_0635.jpg

IMG_0644.jpg

IMG_0645.jpg

That is a very helpful assessment. What would be really useful would be a picture showing 1x new & 1x old both standing on the locating pins so that I can see the height difference.

If possible that would be very useful.

Why do the clips have a gap underneath.? Surely this could not be filled when they are loaded. ?

Thanks Richard

Agree absolutely awful - I'm sure there are companies which will retemper/refurbish old springs  - I think Practical Classics did a feature on this not that long ago, but can't locate it unfortunately -  no doubt someone will ( Nigel Clark?? )

Also suggest this might be a good start for the new PQI section - Roger - are you ready and waiting!!

Cheers

Rich

Thanks for your responses and support guys, much appreciated.

Richard

I have tried to take a photo comparing the height of the original against the new - The height difference at the centre point (the bolt through all leaves) is about 8mm or the thickness of 2 original leaves, so the original is taller than the new. The clips have all been made once size for the new springs, they are not made to fit the amount of leaves they are clamping, hence the gaps.

They will definitely be going back for a refund. I would be interested in finding out if the originals could be successfully restored as this sounds like a preferred option against what seems to be available for standard springs.

Cheers

Ade

IMG_0649.jpg

IMG_0647.jpg

IMG_0646.jpg

Edited by AJ2014
On 9/12/2018 at 2:40 PM, iain said:

When mine needed replacing I used the Revington Road Rally springs.

Very pleased with them.

https://www.revingtontr.com/search.asp?for=rear%20leaf%20springs&cartype=tr3

Iain

Yes, to Revington rally springs - TuRK's have been fitted since 2008 without any problems and plenty of use fully loaded up including trips to CLM and the Dordogne.  

Cheers

Andrew

Roger

I have completed a PQI form and pressed send. I think it has gone although it doesn't confirm its sent.

It also sends it as an un-secure file (a concern as it contains phone number and email address).

Any issues please let me know

Regards

Ade

No help to you in the UK but here in New England there's a company that builds springs from scratch. I used them extensively when I worked for International Harvester many years ago. A big part of their business is with heavy trucks and equipment but they can build springs for anything. They were never cheap but their work, as I remember, was faultless. They were and still are a family owned business started in 1849, yes that is 1849, and have so far survived the onslaught of Asian competition.

http://www.palmer-spring.com/

Tom

Hi Ade, nothing to do with springs but when I saw your TR was RDU 204 I couldn't resist saying that my first TR was RDU 917 that I bought in 1962 for £60. It came with aluminium wings, doors, bonnet, and boot lid and steel hard top and wire wheels - alas gone long ago.

Rod

I tried the Revington race springs but the car stance was to high . Tried for one race then removed them.Had tried removing leaves but still stood high so i guess the 2 main leaves were my problem .No complaint re the quality.

Those in the pictures look poor but is that only paint ?

the clips. Are Ade 's comments true ?  re the gap, but these don't fit the sides so do not hold them in place well.

ROY

22 hours ago, rodofcv said:

Hi Ade, nothing to do with springs but when I saw your TR was RDU 204 I couldn't resist saying that my first TR was RDU 917 that I bought in 1962 for £60. It came with aluminium wings, doors, bonnet, and boot lid and steel hard top and wire wheels - alas gone long ago.

Rod

Hi Rod

Wow now there's a coincidence, thanks for the message. I'm sure you already know but RDU is a Coventry registration and I am still in touch with the second owner of my car who still lives in Coventry and worked at the Standard Triumph factory.

Regards

Ade

Thanks for all the help on this subject. I am trying to get more height at the back of my TR3. The exhaust sometimes hits the ground on speed bumps etc. Is there anyone out there who could measure the height of the rear panel below the spare wheel lid in the centre of the car, and identify the springs,i.e.Moss, Revington, etc.

Unless there is any other way to gain some extra height.

Thanks, Richard

10 hours ago, Richardtr3a said:

Thanks for all the help on this subject. I am trying to get more height at the back of my TR3. The exhaust sometimes hits the ground on speed bumps etc. Is there anyone out there who could measure the height of the rear panel below the spare wheel lid in the centre of the car, and identify the springs,i.e.Moss, Revington, etc.

Unless there is any other way to gain some extra height.

Thanks, Richard

The ride height can only go up to a certain extent before you find the axle sitting hard on the buffers to the chassis

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

A recent post on another forum (not TRR) suggests that Brost Forge have ceased trading as the site is to be redeveloped.  Don't know whether that is duff gen or not....

Brost Forge have "retired" - still answering phone but no longer forging - asked them if they could recommend anyone else and they suggested Owen Springs in Rotherham:

Aldwarke Terrace, Aldwarke Road, Parkgate, Rotherham
S62 6BX 

Tel: +44 (0)1709 710700 
Fax: +44 (0)1709 710666 

sales@owensprings.co.uk

Impressive website, so probably worth a shout - don't know them personally

Cheers

Rich