TR6 Speaker pods DIY rebuild

I've been busy the last couple of days re modelling my TR6 loud speaker pods. I had bought and fitted Moss supplied pods at least 20 years ago with locally supplied Alpine speakers. Many years of activity, (you don't have to ask!) had taken the toll on the integrity of the hardboard backbone as highlighted in the attached photo. They also had a mind of their own and often fell down into the footwell. The used of cable ties and gaffa tape to hold them in place was never pretty.

My wife bought me a Stanley staple gun for my birthday in August, and naturally I knew exactly where it was going to be used first. I have remodelled a pair but with thought for robustness and price. I have used 5mm plywood from B&Q and resourced off cuts of vinyl and a combination of 1" and 0.5" foam to suit from 'Thames Upholstery' here in Southend on Sea, Essex very generously given to me at zero cost! I used the original hardboard as a template, out came my hardly used jigsaw and copies were made.

Everything else more or less fell into place, and as you can see from the photos, job done!

The sound from these speakers was never that great with a distinct lack of bass as there is no baffle. However the rigid construction of these new pods has helped the sound to a small degree. They were a little tricky to get into place as the plywood does not offer much flexibility, but where there is a will, there is a way! So for the cost of less than £10 I'm very pleased with the end result. Only one downside, the 20 year speaker covers are not like new, oh yes there's always Ebay! :D

post-10007-0-20408000-1536681862_thumb.jpgpost-10007-0-62658700-1536681886_thumb.jpgpost-10007-0-83565300-1536681906_thumb.jpg

Thanks, yes Ill do that, the alpine logo is independent to the covers, even better. Ive some primer and satin paint left over from my petrol tank sort out earlier in the year. Regards Trevor

Look good.. I tried full size speakers with in built tweeters like you.. but ended up with standard speakers at the back and alpine pod tweeter screwed to the kidney pads in the front. They are only 3-4 cm diameter but they really make it much easier to hear speaking on the radio (especially important if you are listening to test match special!)

Cheers

Tim

• 5 months later...

Gents, Can anyone help in supplying me with the templates for the kidney panels?  Any help would be much appreciated!  I have tried contacting members through old posts but with no luck so far.  Thanks

• 4 months later...

Sorry for the long time replying. I do indeed have a template made whilst I was making mine from the originals last year. I’ve just rediscovered it buried in the garage. It’s drawn on the inside of a piece of spare vinyl I was using.  Do you still want the info or I could send it to you. I no longer need it. Regards Trevor

Hi 

Thanks for the response.  I would be extremely grateful if you could scan and/or send it to me?  I am based in Australia but could arrange postage to a UK address if that is easier for you (will pay postage/costs either way).  Postage would be to Queensland, Australia.  I can pay by Paypal or bank transfer.

I have tried to make up templates but with no success so any help would be appreciated to tidy up that area!  Although I support the usual suppliers for my TR the costs of postage/shipping down under are normally more than the item I'm buying.............

Kind regards

James

When I replaced my original seats with MX-5s, I installed headrest speakers, which provide most of the sound. Since I don’t believe that you’d get any sort of stereo from a pair of kidney pad speakers pointing in opposite directions, I installed a pair of dual voice speakers, each of which plays both channels. The headrest speakers provide the stereo separation while the larger kidney pad speakers fill out some volume. 

May I chirp in on this topic with a related question...…..I have the bracket from MOSS (item #45 here https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr5-6/interior/trim-panels-fittings/cockpit-trim-kits-tr6-from-c-cr5001-cf12501.html ) it's described as a support bracket attached to the heater box. Does anyone know where on the heater box it's fixed?

I have the aftermarket Clayton heater, maybe that's why I can't see anywhere.

Thanks in advance,

Richard.

Hi James no probs, give me a day or two and I’ll photo and scan what I have. It’s very light so happy to send it to you. Trevor 

• 1 month later...
On 7/7/2019 at 5:33 AM, Trever the rever said:

Hi James no probs, give me a day or two and I’ll photo and scan what I have. It’s very light so happy to send it to you. Trevor 

Hi Trevor

Picked up the template from the PO Box today!  Very much appreciated and if I can reciprocate at any time please let me know.....

James

• 2 weeks later...