Hi

My standard cam has now dine over 100k mls so looking to upgrade over the winter

The engine is now re lined to 2.2 and has a Phoenix tubed exhaust system

Also going to gas flow the head

Has anyone any recommendations on a fast road type cam that would suit this set up

Im on hs6 su carbs on a 4a manifold as well..not going to webbers

Thanks

Tony

Tony

Roger H did a lot of cam trials this year. Have a look for his posts.

But Im sure he will be along in a bit

H

Edited by Hamish

Hi Tony,

three years ago I fitted a new Moss steel head, complete with valves and springs.

Two years later, last January, the cam was not happy and had been wearing out since fitting the head.

It appears the valve springs used are up rated and too heavy for the standard cam quality (rubbish quality)

I fitted the Moss TT1104N Road cam (Kent cam) https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/engine/engines-components/performance-camshafts-tr2-4a.html

as the counter chappie suggested that was very similar. Oh no it isn;t.

I had it fitted for apprx one week - the tickover was on the high side (1000rpm +), acceleration in all gears was amazing

I think the tickover would have got sorted.

However it didn;t meet my needs. I tend to do a lot of touring so a nice reliable cam with reasonable MPG is what I wanted.

I then fitted the Newman PH1 - tickover 500-800 after bedding in. Acceleration - far better than the standard cam. Less so than the above cam.

MPG - above 30 for town and country, better on M/ways at constant 70mph.

Roger

Your PM box is full

Edited by RogerH
  • 7 months later...

Roger,

A year on how are you liking the Newman PH1?  What stable tickover do you enjoy?  Is the low end torque OK?

Reason for asking is that I am about to put together a TR2 engine with Std low port head, 86mm P&L, cast iron exhaust, H4 carbs and I have yet to choose the cam.  Unit will be balanced, but being H4 carbed is unlikely to rev too high.  The car is a basic road going car with no desire to depart from the wonderful bottom end grunt and economy of a TR2 (plus it has drum brakes).

My out of date brain says 'Standard spec is the ideal' but I fear the mismatched followers eating the cam scenario. - I do not wish to do the job again soon. 

The other reason for staying standard or as near as possible is not having to mess with needles. - which I have already potentially messed up by going from 83 to 86 mm.

I would hope that if the Newman cam failed and I have their PH1 cam & their followers - there would be an honoured warranty .  - Discuss.

Anyone's thoughts, comments, or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Hi Pete,

as you know the Moss TT1104N was just a bit too much for me. It is claimed to be a Road cam but I would put it nearer a fast road. 

However it is quite possible that my installation was not quite spot on and produced a little more sparkle form it (probably  not though.)

The Newman has behaved consistently for the last year.

It ticks over nicely from 500rpm upwards.

It cruises happily and when you put your foot down it takes off far more spritely than the 'standard' cam.

Fuel consumption  reduced compared to the standard but not by much. From about 34/35 down to 30/32. It can be improved if you drive carefully.

I have only needed to adjust the rocker gaps in the early months as it settled in.

I would happily recommend the PH1 as a quality replacement for the standard 'putty' cam.

If you want to try or if anybody wants to buy the TT1104N then I still have it here in as new condition (apprx 1000 miles use)

Roger

To add to Roger's comments above, I fitted a Newman cam and their standard chilled followers last year and had a persistent tick which turned out to have been caused by at least one of the cam followers not rotating and sticking in its bore.  I cured it by mounting them in my bench drill and giving them all a polish with fine wet & dry.  I only removed less than 1/2 a thou diameter and they all now move smoothly in their bores and the clicking has disappeared.  I would add that these are not the phosphate coated followers.

So just check that the followers aren't sticking before you put the head back on.

Rgds Ian

Thank you Ian,

I had forgotten the need to ensure the followers rotated.  I will pay particular attention when engine building.

Cheers

Peter W

PS It sounds that from responses here and PMs I will go with the Newman PH1 plus their followers - now what about the valve springs to lighten load on the cam lobes?  I will ask Newman for their suggestions.

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Hi Pete,

when I had to fit a new head (the Moss steel head) it had uprated springs fitted. These destroyed the standard can that was insitu.

It had a good few miles on it but I suspect the extra pressure from the uprated springs did it in.

Thankfully I kept ll my old springs and fitted a set of them. The Newman PH1 is quite happy with the standard springs.

Roger