TR4 Glove Box Striker Plate

So, I decided to tackle the dash replacement this weekend. However, the lock on the glove box door does not catch like the previous dash. I am assuming there is a "striker" plate that catches the latch on the lock, but for the life of me I cannot find one on the internet? Previous owner had bent the metal frame down, but again, looking to making it more OE and functional. Leads?

Don

Checking my Parts Books, the TR4 seemed to have a small

plate welded on as part of the dash, whereas the TR4A has

a small L-shaped bracket as striker plate fixed with screws.

The difference is probably caused by the TR4A wood dash

needing a lip projecting from the metal dash.

The TR4 Parts book details only the metal dash and the TR4A

book details only the metal/wood

Which raises the question of what was done on TR4 cars

with a wood dash - and I don't know!

AlanR

Thanks, as the "L bracket" is no longer available, I will have to shop from the correct sheet metal and fabricate something. Thinking of mounting a flat piece between the wood dash and dash box frame with the right dimension. Of course, I'll have to find fasteners that are flat and don't protrude too much as to flex into the wood dash. Always something. If that doesn't work, I suppose an L bracket will do the trick as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I fabricated a spanking new bracket this weekend - but noticed the retractable nub on the top of the lock still won't reach the lip of the L bracket, which is actually adjusted to be in front of the metal dash frame and pretty much flat with the back of the wood dash.  I noticed there are TWO different locks - one for metal and one for wood dashes offered by Moss.  I will assume that the wood lock the nub is further recessed to the rear and would hopefully correct the problem of non-engagement?  If anyone knows, it would be much appreciate before spending $35.00 for the same lock that I may otherwise have and apparently have "other" issues to deal with instead.

Getting ever so close.

Don

Thanks.  May give something like that a try.  Of course, the bracket I made out of L aluminum stock won't work with the magnets.  Back to the drawing board.  New lock came in but sadly still the same size and setoffs in the back.  No matter how much forward I put the bracket it just won't engage the locking nub on the lock.