Tr4a rear wheel studs - why are they different than the fronts?

Folks,

I had to replace a rear wheel stud on my solid axle Tr4a. I was surprised to find that they are mounted to the rear hubs differently than the fronts (screwed in rather than pressed in), and are a real pain to remove/ install.

My question is, would there be any issue with drilling out the holes in the rear hubs and pressing in the same studs as used in the front? Was there a reason the rears used a different stud? Seems mad that the factory would have to stock different studs for no good reason. Id expect the Tr4 would be the same.

Thoughts?

Jim

Jim,

I replaced my screwed in studs with pressed in ones on my 4 when changing from wires to Minilites. There is no need to drill out the holes, they can be pulled through using a decent spare wheel nut, a few washers and a drop of oil. Bin the nut after you have finished.

Mike

Wire wheels or Steel or alloy wheels...which ?

Mick Richards

Maybe the screw in from the front studs were easier to replace in the field, grind off the back of the stud where peened over and then screw new ones in from the front and secure with a dab of stick weld ?

As Mike says pulling them in from the front works fine if replacing with splined studs.

Mick Richards

Barely had enough room to line them up and pull them through from the back side, just enough to get a tool on them to pull the knurl all the way in. The trick was getting them to pull in straight. One side cooperated, the other not so much. Luckily previous owner drilled another set of mounting holes (perfectly centered I may add) in the hub on the one that didn't, so everything went in perfect second time around.

Don