Rear Fog Lights

Guest wedge fan

Guest wedge fan

Does eveyone else have rear fog lights on their TR7's? My blue car has 2, but there are none on my gold car. As it's going for it's MOT this week I didn't want it to fail for not having any. On the other hand it doesn't look like it ever had one as there's no evidence of it being mounted, and no wiring for it.

Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas on this subject. Any advice would be greatly apprieciated.

David.

From 1980 it was a legal requirement to have rear fog lights. As a result from 1980 the factory fitted rear fog lights on all TR7s, Dolomites and Spitfires. Yes if they do not work it is an MOT failure.

Guest wedge fan

Thanks for that, it's all becoming clear now. It was made after April 1980 so it must have one. I'd better get one fitted in the next couple of days then. I wonder how the last owner got it through the test without one?? :o

David.

Question? Did the law require a fog light to be fitted post August 1980 when the prefix changed from

V to W? If this is the case, if your car was registered before August 1980 you would not need to have a fog light fitted. Could this be how the previouse owner passed the M.O.T ?

Rob.

Guest wedge fan

Well, I have located the wiring for the foglight, tucked behind the lamp cluster cover. I have a foglight that works and have it connected up but when I switch it on nothing happens so could it be the switch at fault? When I tried it with the headlights on the switch makes the panel lights blink when I move it to the on position but the foglight telltale doesn't come on. There doesn't seem to be a seperate fuse for the foglights so I'm thinking maybe the switch could be dud. I have a spare but before I pull it all apart is there anything else it could be??

Thanks again for the advice,

David.

sorry to side track this thread but does anyone know what the mot standpoint is on amber side marker or cruise lights

andy

Hi Andy, fit red ones to the back wings & wire them into the tail lights, fit amber ones to the front wings and wire them up as indicator repeater lamps, I've done this on all my TR7's over the years, never a problem with MOT.

Does eveyone else have rear fog lights on their TR7's? My blue car has 2, but there are none on my gold car. As it's going for it's MOT this week I didn't want it to fail for not having any. On the other hand it doesn't look like it ever had one as there's no evidence of it being mounted, and no wiring for it.

Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas on this subject. Any advice would be greatly apprieciated.

David.

i think any car after a certain date in 1980 has to have at least one on the o/s, but check with your mot station. I had rear fog lamp bulbs wired into the main light clusters as I didn't want the separate rear ones fitted.

Jo

Guest wedge fan

I like this idea of having one in the cluster, how do you go about wiring it up though. I'm having no luck with my seperate lamp, it worked when it was on another car but refuses to work on this one - unless the wiring or switch is at fault.

I like this idea of having one in the cluster, how do you go about wiring it up though. I'm having no luck with my seperate lamp, it worked when it was on another car but refuses to work on this one - unless the wiring or switch is at fault.

Now that's the tricky question; luckily my local garage who does the MOT miraculously wired it in. Mr Motor Repair Company in Beaminster, Dorset, 01308 863207 ask for Marty & say that Jo with the TR8 made the recommendation. Great garage, a customer of mine & I am usully invited to their Xmas party.

The rear fog wiring on the TR7 is a bit of aftermarket bosch up afare. If you remove the dash top and trace the feed to the switch you see if is connected to the loom by a blue scotchlock connector, in my car I had a bad connection at this point.

The fog light in the rear light cluster is basically the reversing light with a red lense fitted behind the clear lense.

Edited by danny

Having seen all of the above, in my experience if a garage MOTs a TR7 which has no rear fogs fitted they are very unlikely to fail it. Even if it IS a 1980/1981 car.

If you really must have rear fogs though - how about this?

Malcolm.

post-241-1143586084.jpg

post-241-1143586084.jpg

Edited by malcolm
Guest wedge fan

Nice looking foglights there Malcom. I finally got mine working, it was the switch. I took it apart and it just disintegrated it was that badly corroded inside. Luckily I had a spare switch panel so after replacing my switch with this one and a new bulb in the tell-tale it was all systems go. I finally got finished 10 minutes before my MOT appointment, talk about cutting it close! Hard work, but I was rewarded with a pass and another year of TR fun ahead! B)

Thanks for all your help & advice everyone

David.

Guest jeffremj
I've got red at the back, amber at the front - all wired to the side lights. Again, no probs with the MOT

I have gone one stage further!!

My front marker lamps work as follows:

1) side/headlights off, they work as indicator repeaters

2) side/headlights on, they work as marker lamps

3) side/headlights on AND indicators flashing, they flash out of phase with indicators

All done without relays!

I have gone one stage further!!

My front marker lamps work as follows:

1) side/headlights off, they work as indicator repeaters

2) side/headlights on, they work as marker lamps

3) side/headlights on AND indicators flashing, they flash out of phase with indicators

All done without relays!

SNAP, my front markers work the same way.

post-1102-1143660763.jpg

post-1102-1143660763.jpg

Edited by danny

What i did for a friend was locate a twin filament (side/brake) bulb holder that fits in in place of the side light bulb holder & put that in place of the side light, then used the existing brake for the fog light. The wiring is easy as it is all in place at the tail light cluster anyway. This leaves the reversing lights in place & doesn't have any extra add on lights hanging out. You used to be able to find the bulb holders in Bedford CF vans, but i don't have a good source now.

Happy hunting.

Andy