I’m sure it would be fine.... plenty of other choices out there, everyone appears to have their own favourite - I used to use Valvoline VR1 but it has got significantly more expensive my current choice is Classic Oils

https://www.classic-oils.net/Classic-Oils-Heritage-20W50

Does the job, fair price and they stand by their ZDDP position clearly on the label

...... Andy

TRR probably have a deal on Duckhams, they certainly did at the IWE - I bought 2 cans

Bob.

EDIT Just checked the main site - maybe not :(

Edited by Lebro

Check out the Search box for ZDDP oils, there's loads of info and some doubts about the way some oil manufacturers quote their ZDDP figures, (can be misleading).

You are looking for a clear statement that the ZINC content is ....such and such between 1100 and 1300 ppm ( parts per million). As Andy says Classic Oils is absolutely clear about it, quoting 1300 parts ZINC in the ZDDP, not only that a cracking price, £18 per 5 litres with postage at £6.80.

With Classic Oils you pay for the oil not the trading off against a fondly remembered name that now doesn't give the oil once offered.

PS: No connection with Classic, I just buy and use their oils, check out the search function, that's what it's there for.

post-6602-0-56460700-1536431663_thumb.jpg

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

Just switched to the Heritage from Millers which appears to get more expensive each month! Purchased 2 cans yesterday from Classic Oils @ Kop Hill for £18 a can. Yet to use.

Sound decision Monty, works nicely in my Srag.

Mick Richards

Contact/pm Terry Smith our events director if you want some Duckhams - he does some work for them. Its good to see Duckhams back in the shops. i always used to use it during its hey day. it was either that or the 'liquid engineering' from Castrol.

hoges

Morris's (of Shrewsbury) 20-50 Golden Film Classic oil is what you want.....a family firm, been in business for ever and supply all the Heritage steam railways and traction engine boys with their oils....brilliant stuff, used it for years in all my classics and very reasonably priced....18 quid a gallon or thereabouts at my local factors, BP

Check out the Search box for ZDDP oils, there's loads of info and some doubts about the way some oil manufacturers quote their ZDDP figures, (can be misleading).

You are looking for a clear statement that the ZINC content is ....such and such between 1100 and 1300 ppm ( parts per million). As Andy says Classic Oils is absolutely clear about it, quoting 1300 parts ZINC in the ZDDP, not only that a cracking price, £18 per 5 litres with postage at £6.80.

With Classic Oils you pay for the oil not the trading off against a fondly remembered name that now doesn't give the oil once offered.

PS: No connection with Classic, I just buy and use their oils, check out the search function, that's what it's there for.

attachicon.gifClassic_Oils__Heritage_20w50_LW11.jpg

Mick Richards

+1

And as a rule of thumb, if an oil is descrbed as safe to use with catalytic converters it wont have enough ZDDP.

I used Millers 20/60 in my Swallow fitted with a Daimler v8 engine and it certainly controlled the oil consumption, the Daimler engine was renown for burning oil. A sailor turned on the fans when he saw me rolling up the ramp on to the car deck on a ferry to Le Mans! I have tried it in the Light 15 to improve the oil pressure when hot, it did raise the pressure by 5psi (15 to 20psi) but now it leaks oil badly so I will see what happens with Duckhams 20/50.

Cheers Richard

Hi,

Interesting to see the different oils that are used. Seems that different regions have access to different oils, I never seen 20W-50 oil for sale here. I use 10W30 Castrol GTX, cheap in Wall mart, and add Lucas zinc additive with every other oil change. I used that for many miles in my P1800, 74 Volkswagen camper, the TR's and planning on using it in the Healey. Could have something to do with weather/temp. conditions. Most of you guys can enjoy a longer TR season than we do over here, we usually see the last snow going in May and it's back already, hope to enjoy a couple of nice fall days but we never now if that's gonna happen. Talking about additives, I always use fuel additives when I fill the cars up, premium grade gas is only 92 octane, so I always add octane booster. Don't know if this is a good or bad thing, but pretty sure one of you guys can make me a bit wiser on that one.

Yves

Hi,

Interesting to see the different oils that are used. Seems that different regions have access to different oils, I never seen 20W-50 oil for sale here. I use 10W30 Castrol GTX, cheap in Wall mart, and add Lucas zinc additive with every other oil change. I used that for many miles in my P1800, 74 Volkswagen camper, the TR's and planning on using it in the Healey. Could have something to do with weather/temp. conditions. Most of you guys can enjoy a longer TR season than we do over here, we usually see the last snow going in May and it's back already, hope to enjoy a couple of nice fall days but we never now if that's gonna happen. Talking about additives, I always use fuel additives when I fill the cars up, premium grade gas is only 92 octane, so I always add octane booster. Don't know if this is a good or bad thing, but pretty sure one of you guys can make me a bit wiser on that one.

Yves

Yves,

Your 92 octane will be in unts of (RON + MON)/ 2 ...(right ?). So 92 will be equal to 96 RON in UK. UK TRs with 9.5 compression will be fine on that ( unless the PI is run weak at cruise). With USA spec compression of 8.5 96 RON will be more than enough to keep pinking away.

Peter