Headlamp Blown ?

Hi All,

My drivers side headlamp is very dim. So dim that it looks like a side light. There is also no high beam. I've looked at the lamp and it doesn't appear to be blown. Any ideas ? I will next check for voltage but there must be something there to have it dimly lit. Hopefully, it just needs a new lamp and hopefully ..... Halfords sell them !

1966 TR4A

Thanks

Thank you Gents.

I thought possible bad earth too but I re-done the connection and no change. I've swapped the lamps over from passenger side that works and it's definitely not the lamp. I did note that whilst there was no lamp in passenger side, the drivers side does not light at all, not even dimly.

This makes me think still a bad earth so will run one direct from the battery to double check.

Dave, your comments about the loom getting hot on a bad connection. I understand that theory but it's odd that neither main beam or low beam is working ? If it was a lose connection, I'd be surprised if its on both wires / connections ?

Will continue to investigate .....

Sorted ~ although Id cleaned the earth connection, once I proved the problem was a bad earth by doing a direct connection to the battery, I then investigated it further and found the wire wasnt crimped properly on the headlight earth connection.

Thanks for helpful posts

Andy

Sorted ~ although Id cleaned the earth connection, once I proved the problem was a bad earth by doing a direct connection to the battery, I then investigated it further and found the wire wasnt crimped properly on the headlight earth connection.

Thanks for helpful posts

Andy

Thats the problem with crimped connections. Unless very good quality the average Halfords type crimp connectors are rubbish. Get some decent solderable bullets and terminals from Autosparks. I removed all of my crimped connections and resoldered in new ones and never had any more electrical issues, certainly due to connector failures.

Kevin