So, this morning I took my TR2 for a new MOT. It has had them recently, but I've not used it for a while and it had run out.

Since we moved about 18 months ago I needed to find a local garage that I could trust.

I got some recommendations for people and booked it in. I told the owner that it was a bit rough (understatement of the year) and that it didn't need an MOT but i wanted one on it. He was happy with that so took it over this morning.

He saw me drive in and mentioned that it may be better for him to look it over rather than MOT it as if there were any major defects I could have a problem if I drove home - fine and points. So I said he could do that. I think he thought it would be a disaster!

He drove the car in and proceeded to check it over. He encouraged me to be on hand and watch. We chatted about the car throughout - he was very enthusiastic. When he'd finished he said it would pass, so he's doing the certificate!

I was confident before the test, but he certainly wasn't.

A pleasant surprise!

Roger

i-hdkCpwK-L.jpg

Hi Roger ~

Well done!

That's how I remember most TR2's in the 50's especially the long door models although I must say they had coloured bodywork!

But to hell with colour ~ enjoy your TR! Who the hell wants a Trailer Queen? :(:(

Enjoy your week end with the TR!

Best regards ~

Tom. ;)

Edited by Fireman049

Roger,

Whenever I see pictures of your car I wonder WHY am I spending so much time filling and rubbing down, when it would have looked absolutely fine if I’d left it as it was , after 30+ years of storage.

But those front overriders...

Couldn't you have found worse ones?

Charlie.

Excellent Roger. Did you give it some fresh Linseed before the day?

The over riders can act as daytime running lights

Not given it any linseed oil for a while Mal. I did think I should be doing it but didn't have time last weekend - I had to sort the vacuum washers out!

. . . and the over riders do bother me, but they were some i had in stock.

Edited by Pogo

FWIW Unless it was seriously unroadworthy you would have been legal to drive it home from a test if it had failed.

Stuart.

FWIW Unless it was seriously unroadworthy you would have been legal to drive it home from a test if it had failed.

Stuart.

I did think that may be the case but thought better than argue with him as I've never used him before! ;)

. . . and if it had failed I would have brought it home and sorted it before trying again.

Don't need to do that now!

Rog

Edited by Pogo

What was the word that other bunch used a few years ago, Roger? "Disgraceful"?

Tell them to stuff it. Again.

Ha!

I still think of that occasionally Don. Makes me laugh every time.

The MOT guy said I should keep it as it is, but another customer came in as it was finishing and couldn't believe I wasn't doing something with it!

Still splitting opinion.

Rog

Roger,

I know there is a split in opinion of what people say you should do with your car.

But it is YOUR CAR

Personally, I think your car is BLOODY BRILLIANT.

Patch up your floors (Preferably with bits of old baked bean cans) and pass the MOT each year.

I honestly wish I’d done the same when I’d taken my car out of hibernation.

I bought my TR3a in 1972, just as an “Every day car”.

When I’ve finished the rebuild it will still be just an “Every day car.” (Warts and all .)

To me my TR is just another car.

(But a fun one ….)

Should I duck my head down now, awaiting the incomming?

Nahhh….

I love my TR.

That’s all that matters.

Charlie.

Congratulations Roger!

The TR looks great. It almost makes me want to keep mine in its state. If it still was its original colour I might have.

My TR2 also passed it equivalent recently to get a valid road license. This only has to happen once when changing ownership here, not annually.

It doesn't looks quite as used though!

What was hilarious is that the tester was so starstruck about the car the he forgot to check the horn, wipers or instruments!

He never even asked about the lack of seatbelts.

I had to explain the dipswitch, handbrake, starter and switches as well. All good fun.

Driving only the TR2 this weekend in spiritual acknowledgement of the Goodwood Revival, I realise just how incredibly usable they are every day.

In fact, if I didn't hate traffic so much and used a motorcycle, I would definitely use it daily.

Dirk

Great looking car Roger.

I find it's usually the shabby cars that get the largest crowds at car shows!

I'm always being asked when I'm going to finish mine and everyone is always surprised to find out it's rock solid. It's looked like this for the last 4 years. One day .......

TR2.jpg

Great looking car Roger.

I find it's usually the shabby cars that get the largest crowds at car shows!

I'm always being asked when I'm going to finish mine and everyone is always surprised to find out it's rock solid. It's looked like this for the last 4 years. One day .......

TR2.jpg

So true, and I get the same question and give the same answer - it is finished!

Rog

Edited by Pogo