Smoking '6

Hi Folks

I have a problem on my '6.

A couple of weeks ago whilst stopped at traffic lights I thought I noticed a little smoke coming from round my feet (it wasn't my socks before anyone suggests that!). It wasn't much and I actually thought it may be the car next to me so didn't do anything. Moved off and all was OK and got back to work with no issues.

On the way home I noticed it again, not much and not for long. I stopped the car and looked under the dash and under the bonnet but couldn't see any smoke or smell anything burning. Drove home carefully and put the car in the garage (with battery disconnected). I've not used it since other than moving it in and out of the garage to make space.

A couple of things I've noticed -

1) the brake light switch isn't working properly (I assume it's the switch as it's intermittent)

2) the horn sounds randomly - especially if the steering wheel is pulled on when turning and getting out

So - has anyone got any pointers for me to look for before I strip it all out? I need to remove the dash to replace it with an original one I've had sitting around for a few years!

I've got a new brake light switch to put in.

What's the likely cause of the horn issue and could any of these things cause it to smoke?

The loom is the original one (I think). Should I be looking to replace it? If so - where's the best place to go for standard loom (the only extra I have is a cig lighter under the dash).

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Rog

Hi Roger ~

If you do decide to fit a new wiring harness then do as I did and identify every wire and label them (see attached).

Also when I came to remove the old harness I cut all the wires off leaving the original tails attached to all the instruments etc.

This helped me identify every colour coded wire. Obviously a coloured wiring diagram is essential.

Hope this helps?

Regards ~

Tom. post-8925-0-84588800-1536180855_thumb.jpg

Rog,

The horn push works by earthing out the wire which then pulls the relay and the horn sounds. So if the horn wire shorts to earth then horn will sound. So not really possible to be horn column wiring.

Yes could be brake lights or possibly foot dipswitch. I don’t believe brake lights are fused so a short to earth could generate excessive current and heat / smoke.

If it has smoked there will be visible damage and it will smell if you can get your nose near enough.

Smoke tends to be heavier than air and will sink to the floor so it could have originated higher up behind the dash.

What circuits were live when you spotted the smoke – radiator fan, headlights, cabin fan, wipers? It can only be a live circuit that overheats. Possible it could be from the ignition switch, especially if you have a PI with a Bosch pump (heavy current draw) and no relay fitted.

I would start with the brake light switch, as it needs to be fixed anyway and access is reasonable.

Alan

Thanks Chaps

Tom - yes, will do. I have changed the loom in my '2 and did exactly as you suggest.

Alan - not many circuits live when it happened - no lights on, no electric fan or cabin fan, no wipers or radio. Not even indicating. I do have PI with a Bosch pump, That's on a separate fuse but I don't think it has a relay. I'm hoping to do the brake switch this weekend and will have a good sniff around.

Rog

Sounds like an earthing problem from the battery with smaller wires or other cables ( choke cable pull is a good one) picking up the slack.

Check the battery negative is earthed correctly the bodywork, a separate negative cable to a good body post ( bolt ) normally

does the trick.

Mick Richards

FWIW if your still on original loom then its well past its design life now so I would be fitting a new one and have done with it.

Stuart.

FWIW if your still on original loom then its well past its design life now so I would be fitting a new one and have done with it.

Stuart.

That's what I initially thought Stuart. Then there should be no worries.

Any advice as to best place to get one?

Rog

This may seem daft but is there any signs of gearbox oil driping on to the exhaust .

Any smoke generated seeping in via the transsmission tunnel can make its way into the footwell.

Spent some time looking for a wiring fault that was'nt there on mine. :angry::angry:

Just one of many odd issues I've had.

Brian

That's what I initially thought Stuart. Then there should be no worries.

Any advice as to best place to get one?

Rog

I buy mine from Autosparks but make sure you spec exactly what you want especially in the area of ammeter if your keeping it and extra relays wherever you want as well.

Stuart.

I buy mine from Autosparks but make sure you spec exactly what you want especially in the area of ammeter if your keeping it and extra relays wherever you want as well.

Stuart.

Sounds like a bit of a minefield!

I haven't thought about the ammeter or any other relays. The car is pretty standard - no electric fan or extra lights etc. but I have the Bosch pump.

Rog

Edited by Pogo

I'll check the gearbox oil theory when I get into the job.

Thanks

Rog,

If I haven't used TuRK for a while then it does smoke from the gearbox area as the oil burns off - how long since you'd used the TR6?

If it does turn out to be electrical and it stops smoking then maybe get some replacement smoke, best get NOS as repro smoke is poor quality...........

Cheers

Andrew

post-1276-0-38052400-1536251833_thumb.jpeg

Roger,

(For me) There is a difference berween the smell of burnt oil and burn isolation. Do you have an idea?

Waldi

Andrew - it was being used as my daily driver until the smoking! ☹️

Pinky - I’m going to check everything behind the dash. I’m moving towards replacing the look anyway.

Waldi - it didn’t smell like oil burning.

Thanks

Rog

Hi there, just a thought, a few years back in my TR6 I was driving back from work, and had a definitive electrical smell. It turned out to be the overdrive solenoid burning out. Guess its worth a check to see if yours is still working. Regards Trevor.

Roger,

It it is an intermittent fault, that is difficult to find.

I would start with making sure all connections are ok and tight, no damaged insulation, check for slightly colored or melted wires.

Then connect battery with amp. Meter between positive pole and battery and switch on the circuits one by one and see if current goes beyond expected.

Turn steering wheel and move the harness a bit etc while you test.

Good luck,

Waldi