Undoing Flywheel bolts ?

Thanks for the tips everyone.

I understand I am being supplied stretch bolts to put it back on with. Ill have to ask for the torque setting for these.

Great forum help

Thank you.

H

What is the purpose of the stretch bolts? Why not just re-use the existing ones?

Rgds Ian

I once asked our late and often missed forumite, Alec, if he had any second hand bolts to go with a clutch I had just purchased from him - suffice to say that was a big mistake as I was then regaled with tales of clutches and flywheels demolishing everything inside a car including the driver, if they ever let go, for the sake of a few quid.

Wise words probably

Cheers

Rich

Peter Cox has suggested stretch bolts to put the flywheel on the crank.

The original bolts look ok to me. But I havent got x-ray vision and i wouldnt know what technical bolts to buy instead so reliant on those with more experience.

The stretch bolts obviously have their non loosenig effect which prevents them coming loose ( the stretch and inherent clamp).

Stretch bolts( or sticky bolts ) were part of the modern thinking introduction of the late 60s and 70s.

Previously Triumph used very good quality original quality fastenings which were reusable a myriad of times unless damaged.

TR4a con rods for example were originally stretch bolts. To ensure their continued safety you should be quoted a growth dimension for the bolts, as in when they achieve that figure there is no stretch left and should be replaced.

Personally I like my ankles so I invest in Unbrako cap head bolts with close fitting shank and a drop of blue Loctite tightened to the standard torque. They are reusable and a dip in thinners and clean out with a scriber allows you to check the threads for damage as the engine is rebuilt.

Mick Richards

So for my next question, why are you removing the flywheel Hamish? Are you having it lightened or is it just to check the balance?

Rgds Ian

Hi Ian

I am surprised its taken this long to ask !! :-)

My 3a has a tr 6 gearbox and A type overdrive all fitted in the mid 1970,s by P.O.

After a couple of seasons doing the club sprint and hill climbs the box was leaking a lot and 3rd a bit notch. Thus via recommendation and introduction Peter Cox is doing my gearbox/OD. Refurbish and a light competioon upgrade including the more assertive OD change.

Apparently the OD was ready to impose any time.

To get to your question. As the box was out I was going to change the clutch.

This lead to discussions with peter and others about the various performances of the clutches out there and their -clamping forces- so I have gone for a Tr6 diaphragm clutch. This need the flywheel drilling and tapping - which peter is also doing.

By doing this I have also seen how much and where the flywheel was lightened. Explains a little more its happines to rev between 2k and 6k !!