TR6 Overdrive

Hi. I have a 73 TR6 and I've noticed when i engage the overdrive it makes a thud/bang if the revs are over 1500 RPM.If the overdrive is on and i switch it off theres no problem. So what i tend to do it put the overdrive on when i start the journey and only turn it off if i need to. any ideas? thanks in advance

My A type overdrive makes a bit of a thud if I engage it with WOT. Doesn't seem to hurt it.

I only engage the overdrive when I want to use it, generally leaving it off around town. Originally a previous owner had wired mine to operate in all gears including 1st and reverse . Operating an A type in 1st and reverse will hurt it.

Hi on my A type leaving the overdrive on can make for a knotchy gear change as it is momentarily disengaged and renengaged between applicable gears.

I have found the smoothest way is to disengage just before a gear change,and also be accelerating when engaging and deaccelerating when disengaging.

Laurence.

Hi. I have a 73 TR6 and I've noticed when i engage the overdrive it makes a thud/bang if the revs are over 1500 RPM.If the overdrive is on and i switch it off theres no problem. So what i tend to do it put the overdrive on when i start the journey and only turn it off if i need to. any ideas? thanks in advance

The A type overdrive works on slam engagement hence the mod to J type. The Volvo boys were not keen on that type of engagement and they were GKN's biggest customer. Also I am not certain how good this is for the diff mounts or crown wheel teeth. It would be good to know if A types cause more failures than J types?

Bruce.

When engaging or disengaging overdrive you should have throttle "On" never on a trailing throttle as thats why your getting a bang and not doing any of your drive train or diff mounts any good at all.

FWIW TR4a/5/6 A type overdrives are slightly softer engaging that the earlier versions as Triumph very soon recognised the harsh engagement wasnt helping the diff mounts.

Stuart.

I generally only use my A-type once I'm in 4th. There's generally a jolt when it engages (although not as bad as when I engage it in 2nd or 3rd) so I use the clutch to minimize stress on the drivetrain. Disengaging it is generally less jolting