8 hours ago, Ocheye said:

Would these be the right ones? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Valeo-082440-Front-Headlights/dp/B008DQV88Q.

Also, do I need relays when using LEDs?

I've noticed that the led bulbs in my sitting room seem to cast less shadows than the previous standard bulbs so I wonder if they would be better than the H4 halogen bulbs in the P700s or am I just being a cheapskate? I like the look of the tripods on an early 60s car, I must admit

Andy

As Tim H says, these are for LHD cars (or, I suppose, continental motoring...) which is a shame because they're what I have on my TR4 and they are excellent lenses.

Ouch. That's quite dear. My existing lamps are wipac quadoptics and appear to be cloudy on the inside of the glass. This seems not uncommon but I wonder if there is any way they can be cleaned up inside. I'm not sure what causes this issue as the lenses are glass, not plastic. I'm loath to spend a lot of cash on bulbs and not see a gain but spending the best part of £200 seems excessive for bulbs and lamps or am I living in the past?

Andy

1 hour ago, Ocheye said:

Interesting that is seem to say Cibie on the lens.

Stuart.

41 minutes ago, Ocheye said:

Ouch. That's quite dear. My existing lamps are wipac quadoptics and appear to be cloudy on the inside of the glass. This seems not uncommon but I wonder if there is any way they can be cleaned up inside. I'm not sure what causes this issue as the lenses are glass, not plastic. I'm loath to spend a lot of cash on bulbs and not see a gain but spending the best part of £200 seems excessive for bulbs and lamps or am I living in the past?

Andy

Try buying a pair of Carellos!

Stuart.

2 hours ago, stuart said:

Try buying a pair of Carellos!

Stuart.

Absolutely right Stuart, I’ve been after a pair of 5 3/4” H1 and H4 for a couple of years for my Lancia Beta Coupe.

1 hour ago, Kevo_6 said:

Absolutely right Stuart, I’ve been after a pair of 5 3/4” H1 and H4 for a couple of years for my Lancia Beta Coupe.

I managed to find a pair of 7" but as they were for L/hand drive they were slightly cheaper, had to buy off Ebay Italy and they came from Bologna.

Stuart.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone encountered this cloudiness problem with their headlights. At first I thought it was the cold weather but that doesn't seem to be the case. I have looked at some new (old stock) Valeo lamps that have the same issue (see pic) and my Wipac Quadoptics look the same though, I suspect there may be a little reflector discolouration (hard to see).

The cloudiness would appear to be on the inside of the glass and may be cleanable with washing up liquid sloshed around inside but I wouldn't want to damage the reflectors. I certainly don't want to buy the Valeos only to find that they are unusable.

It would be interesting to hear if anyone has resolved the same issue

Andy

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_af7d.thumb.jpg.fb947d338f708069a2647befb02b66cf.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_af7c.thumb.jpg.d60b1e8fd3977a2e06628e97fae8f2df.jpg

Have a look at this site:  good price for a pair.

https://www.mgocspares.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.cgi?WD=deal led package&PN=Specials.html#aOFFERS_2dQP472A

H4 Halogen Headlamps

MG Spares are pleased to offer 7” H4 halogen headlamps suitable for right hand drive MGs manufactured by Q Parts (P/N M200on). Carefully designed for an original appearance, superior light distribution and optimal fit. Q Parts headlamps are type approved (‘E’ marked), offered either with pilot featuring a flat lens to suit rubber bumper MGs or without pilot featuring a rounded/convex lens to suit chrome bumper MGs. Suitable for owners upgrading from sealed beam headlamps or requiring replacement H4 units. Assemblies are supplied in pairs with 60/55w H4 halogen bulbs, rubber weatherproof boot and installation instructions. Headlamps featuring pilot light additionally include original style rubber bumper headlamp loom with authentic weatherproof boot, pilot bulbs and angled locating grommets.
Only £29.95!

Price: £29.95 / €32.65 / US $32.20 (Including VAT at 20% except $ price)

I found this in this months Practical classics, although the advert in there shows a package deal which includes the LED bulbs (page 15) all for £99.95

Bob

On 11/23/2019 at 11:30 AM, Ocheye said:

Has anyone encountered this cloudiness problem with their headlights. At first I thought it was the cold weather but that doesn't seem to be the case. I have looked at some new (old stock) Valeo lamps that have the same issue (see pic) and my Wipac Quadoptics look the same though, I suspect there may be a little reflector discolouration (hard to see).

The cloudiness would appear to be on the inside of the glass and may be cleanable with washing up liquid sloshed around inside but I wouldn't want to damage the reflectors. I certainly don't want to buy the Valeos only to find that they are unusable.

It would be interesting to hear if anyone has resolved the same issue

Andy 133.31 kB · 0 downloads

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_af7d.thumb.jpg.fb947d338f708069a2647befb02b66cf.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_af7c.thumb.jpg.d60b1e8fd3977a2e06628e97fae8f2df.jpg

There is/was a faulty batch and the clouding up is from the shroud painted black.I tried to wash out with white spirit and also thinners which got some off but gave up because the shroud is in the way and was cutting in to my pinkys!

• 1 year later...

Hi what is the latest recommendation for replacing H4 headlamp units for my 4A? A lot of the links on here now don’t work.

I have been looking at the Revington offer £86.51 for pair of Lucas replacement, doesn’t seem a bad price for Revington.

https://www.revingtontr.com/product/gac4022a/name/h4-conversion-kit-lucas-no-pilot-rhd-pair

Thanks

Ian

I would expect these to be good units, you could fit either halogen bulbs, or go for these LED ones:

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/products/latest-led-headlights-h4-philips-z-es-hi-lo-beam-conversion-9-32v?variant=8239030763615

I have these & they are very good.

Bob

Had a similar problem years ago with a BMW 3 series headlamp unit. From memory I used a bit of sponge fastened onto the end of a piece of cane and some fairy liquid soap to remove it. WD40 might work but only use a bit on the sponge.

Recently had a sealed beam unit go cloudy but that was because it had a crack in the glass and air entered the unit rendering it useless.

Keith