Hi all, the original headlights have corroded inside so I need to change them, my first thoughts are to buy similar but upgrade the bulb but what about sealed beam ? I also have a new loom but the bulb holders for the ignition light and the flasher light on the dash wont fit into the red and green lenses, do I hack off the new bulb holder and replace with the old ones or is there a better solution ? Thoughts please.

Cheers

Ron

Headlights.

Purchase a pair of Cibie / Valeo headlamps, & fit them with Osram Nightbreaker Halogen bulbs.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/search/471930011

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-parts/car-electrics-and-car-lighting/lighting1/car-bulb/?48177019N&0&cc5_847&type=shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjwt7PcBRBbEiwAfwfVGHRyBmF6DXRJtLu6b9OZqd_D424JNU2sEMk3f4cX7KPI4KyHN2JaGxoCvJ0QAvD_BwE

Big discount at the moment, & for next 12 hours, use this code at checkout PAYDAY50

Re the dash bulb holders, if it was me I would probably change them for the old ones if they are in good enough condition.

Bob.

Edited by Lebro

Headlights.

Purchase a pair of Cibie / Valeo headlamps, & fit them with Osram Nightbreaker Halogen bulbs.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/search/471930011

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-parts/car-electrics-and-car-lighting/lighting1/car-bulb/?48177019N&0&cc5_847&type=shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjwt7PcBRBbEiwAfwfVGHRyBmF6DXRJtLu6b9OZqd_D424JNU2sEMk3f4cX7KPI4KyHN2JaGxoCvJ0QAvD_BwE

Big discount at the moment, & for next 12 hours, use this code at checkout PAYDAY50

Re the dash bulb holders, if it was me I would probably change them for the old ones if they are in good enough condition.

Bob.

+1.

Cibié/Valeo headlights are excellent, as are the Osram Night Breaker bulbs. I've also used genuine Lucas headlight reflectors but very unlikely to find them close to the special price for Cibié at Euro Car Parts.

If you haven't fitted relays with a separate fused power feed to the headlights, do that too. It can make a huge improvement in headlight brightness, often as much as the upgrade to halogen. Top quality headlight reflectors, modern high output bulbs and relays will give enough light to drive with confidence on the darkest night.

Nigel

Slightly off subject do you have any recommendations for TR2 that incorporate side lights? My sidelights are converted to amber indicators.

Thanks

Rod

Most of those type of lamp units can be obtained with sidelight facility.

Stuart.

I have the Cibie/Nightbreaker/Relay combination on my TR6 and the light output is fantastic, a total transformation from the rusty reflectors and standard bulbs i acquired the car with.

Dipped beam is good but the full beam on country lanes is amazing!

It’s not quite as good as LED lamps on modern cars but it’s very impressive.

Steve

Thanks Tom, just looking for a good buy. Euro Car Parts (I have a branch 10 mins drive away) unfortunately don't when I asked have any headlamps with sidelights incorporated. But I bought the Nightbreakers and I'll look for a suitable relay.

Rod

Hi Rod ~

I also bought the Nightbreakers and they do make a big difference although the car is not on the road.

I have got the necessary relays for the heads but they are yet to be fitted! (if at all!!).

Tom.

Edited by Fireman049

By using relays, one can increase the supply to the bulbs on main beam by as much as 1.5 volts - see my article in TR Action 296 (March 2017).

That may not sound a great deal, but its more than 10% on voltage and rather more on power (probably 15-20%). The difference with my headlamps was really noticeable (I used 4 relays, one for each headlamp filament). My spotlamps were already fed via a relay, and the headlamps on full beam are now as bright as the spotlamps.

Ian Cornish

Slightly off subject do you have any recommendations for TR2 that incorporate side lights? My sidelights are converted to amber indicators.

Thanks

Rod

The one you want is Valeo 082439 (I have these on my car)

Some here

https://www.worldcarparts.co.uk/headlight-valeo-082439

Also a few on Ebay. Eurocarparts don't seem to have them at present

Bob.

Any of these would do the job.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2060353.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC0.A0.H0.X12V+automotive+relay.TRS0&_nkw=12V+automotive+relay&_sacat=0

I used 4 X relays, 2 for left side High & low beam, & 2 for right side high & low beam.

post-12009-0-45994600-1490048289_thumb.jpg post-12009-0-08007400-1490048288_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lebro

Ron,

Try and get Durite relays, read on here that they are more reliable.

I always use Polevolt for any of my car electrics needs.

Graham

Further to above, I have just done some research into LHD versions of the Valeo headlamps that a lot of us are using.

Sunnery below:

Right hand drive headlamps Valeo 082441

From Eurocarparts at £31.84 each (using discount code "SALE70")

NUINE- OE/372306498180?hash=item56af325284:g:MhAAAOSwotha-uHz

or from Buycarparts at £36.01 each

Left Hand drive headlamps Valeo 082440 (LHD equivalent of above)>

From Buycarparts at £28.11 each

Or from Online carparts at £28.22 each

Or from Bestpartstore at £28.30 each

I also used Cibies and also purchased them from Euro Car Parts..the price was good.

Regarding the wiring and relays, I used one relay per beam and not filament. I ended up using Autosparks for the wire/relays/connectors etc, partly as they were extremely helpful in explaining what I needed with a wiring diagram to boot.

I used relays with a mounting bracket and put it the opposite side to the O/D relay, and opted for all soldered connections. Bulb wise, I chose Philips Xtreme Vision. Pics attached. I made up the bracket our of 20 gauge steel.

post-12159-0-87565900-1536831032_thumb.jpg

post-12159-0-52102700-1536831032_thumb.jpg

post-12159-0-51023400-1536831033_thumb.jpg

Kevin

Edited by boxofbits