• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

sunset at John o'Groats

Took my cousin out to lunch. She was born in 1918.   Tom

Lovely end to a lovely day. Crisp winter coastal run, and down to the beach for a stroll at sundown.  Happy new year all, Deggers

Posted Images

Yesterday Sue and I popped down to Swanage and had a very nice piece of fish for lunch sat in the car on the promenade.

We then moved on to Worth Matravers and the Square & Compass pub for a decent pint.

We sat out the front of the pub with our backs to the pub white washed wall - it was the perfect sun trap

Sadly after just one pint it was time for home.

The car didn't miss a beat

Roger

You certainly do get around a bit Roger.  Worth Matravers is a nice little place - I used to park there and walk along the coast path. Unfortunately lots of other people have found it now so it gets rather busy in the summer.

Had a great run out yesterday after 4 months of inactivity. I charged the battery for a few hours, pushed the car out of the garage, and it started first time. Tyre pressure check and a full tank of Shell V Power, 99 octane and all was well. Pulling to the shift light & beyond ! Still puts a smile on my face, & a well set-up piece of kit.

Belvour.jpg

Took both the Stag and TR out for a longish run today - first for 3 or 4 weeks for the Stag and a bit longer for the TR.

The TR had been out of the garage and run up to temperature the same time as the Stag's last run, and taken just a couple of miles or so around the village as it was shod with its 'Winter storage wheels and tyres'  - but the normal wheels are back on now and a bracing trip to the local E0 filling station was part of the route for both.

Interestingly the Stag was charged 157.9ppl this morning, whilst the TR had to pay 159.9ppl this afternoon at the same place.

On 3/7/2022 at 10:42 AM, TRTOM2498PI said:

Had a great run out yesterday after 4 months of inactivity . . . . Pulling to the shift light & beyond !

Belvour.jpg

That looks a whole lot of fun Tom, great looking car.

Nice pic too. (Is that your modest pile on the hill top?)  :)

Deggers

6 hours ago, Misfit said:

Short drive out, this morning while the sun is out. 

thought Hamish might like these

7A6F33CE-A6C0-41E9-8790-92984D6FDE13.jpeg

F6AB581B-416C-4264-AD6B-DAFF65DBC1FC.jpeg

DF0FEB8A-32D5-4F16-878A-9B50C5BC290A.jpeg

Great stuff thanks. Kingswear and Brixham. 
I’ll have to shout out the next time I’m down. 

1 hour ago, Lebro said:

Ah, Brixham, I spent 3 months there in 1968 on a Decca apprentice training course.

Bob

They were THE name in radar and navigation. :D

13 hours ago, Lebro said:

...I spent 3 months there in 1968 on a Decca apprentice training course...

Ahh…
Of course….
“Decca”

Famous for designing the Dansette Major record player.

They must have been really complicated if it took a three months training course to be taught how they worked and how to fix them.

I was once told that “Desmond Dekka” named himself after the company because it was so famous, believing it would help him.

Charlie.

Decca was much more than just cheap music systems and records Charlie. To quote Wiki:

The Decca Radar company was a British manufacturer of radar systems. There were originally two divisions, Marine and Heavy Radar, with separate product lines. The latter was sold to Plesseyin 1965, and the term "Decca Radar" normally refers to the Marine division. That division remained with Decca until 1979 when it purchased by Racal to form Racal-Decca. After a series of further mergers and purchases, from 2000 the division is part of Northrop Grumman.

Decca is best known for its marine radars, starting with 1949's Type 159. Their most successful line was the 1970s Bridgemaster series which continued sales into the 2000s. Under Plessey, the company was particularly successful in the US pleasure boat market. The Heavy Radar division produced the AMES Type 80 radars for the Royal Air Force, and used that technology to develop the Decca HF200 height finder radar. This led to the Decca Air Surveillance Radar, which spawned a number of adaptations for civilian and military use.

Actually, Decca started off as a record maker, during WW2  2 employees (Harvey Schwarz, & Bill O.Brien) developed a radio navigation system called Decca Navigator. This used 2 or 3 land based low frequency transmitters, the signals from which  ship born receivers could pick up, & by measuring the phase difference between them could establish their geographical position using special charts overlayed with hyperbolic curves showing lines of equal phase.

This system was first used to guide Minesweepers in the English channel in the days building up to the D Day invasion. 

A later offshute of the company then called Decca Navigator, was Decca Survey, who developed equipment based on the same principles, but used higher frequency transmissions (2 MHz) in order to improve accuracy.  This was the company I spent most of my employed life with.

Bob.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decca_Navigator_System

21 hours ago, RobH said:

Decca was much more than just cheap music systems and records Charlie. To quote Wiki:

The Decca Radar company was a British manufacturer of radar systems. There were originally two divisions, Marine and Heavy Radar, with separate product lines. The latter was sold to Plesseyin 1965, and the term "Decca Radar" normally refers to the Marine division. That division remained with Decca until 1979 when it purchased by Racal to form Racal-Decca. After a series of further mergers and purchases, from 2000 the division is part of Northrop Grumman.

Decca is best known for its marine radars, starting with 1949's Type 159. Their most successful line was the 1970s Bridgemaster series which continued sales into the 2000s. Under Plessey, the company was particularly successful in the US pleasure boat market. The Heavy Radar division produced the AMES Type 80 radars for the Royal Air Force, and used that technology to develop the Decca HF200 height finder radar. This led to the Decca Air Surveillance Radar, which spawned a number of adaptations for civilian and military use.

Famously turned down the Beatles , but made good with the Rolling Stones . 

The old Odeon building at Shannon’s Corner which DECCA occupied.   

In side there were many miles of green bolt together Dexion racks.   Some of which is still in use in mine and brother’s garages……

14176468-378F-44D6-ACCF-8829B7AC23FD.jpeg

Popped over to France for a Rally which Started in Troyes and finished at the Col De Torini 4 days later. 

2340 Miles in the week. Great Weather , a fab trip and many thanks to the Boss for driving yet again:D

image.thumb.png.0d5a149c37f476705753415dfeadbb96.pngimage.thumb.png.64e3946ff334214f85a38318d26677f3.png

image.jpeg

Edited by iain
25 minutes ago, iain said:

Popped over to France for a Rally which Started in Troyes and finished at the Col De Torini 4 days later. 

2340 Miles in the week. Great Weather , a fab trip and many thanks to the Boss for driving yet again:D

image.thumb.png.0d5a149c37f476705753415dfeadbb96.pngimage.thumb.png.64e3946ff334214f85a38318d26677f3.png

image.jpeg

Fantastic! Any more details?

3 hours ago, iain said:

image.jpeg

Finished up on Australia I see.

34 minutes ago, Z320 said:

:lol:

That’s what happens when I navigate :-)

I’m coming to the conclusion that my job is to spanner……Lois can do the rest better on her own!

Iain