Where did you drive to with your TR today

Enlarge it, there’s a little idyllic village so pretty in the middle of lovely scenery. I haven’t included the car I didn’t believe it would have improved the photo. 

8E05FC35-F887-45DA-B5C4-B812234B6B23.jpeg

Edited by Misfit
  • Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

sunset at John o'Groats

Took my cousin out to lunch. She was born in 1918.   Tom

Lovely end to a lovely day. Crisp winter coastal run, and down to the beach for a stroll at sundown.  Happy new year all, Deggers

Posted Images

It's great to see the Red Kites, they are spreading round the country , we just see the odd one or two in Notts.

Conrad.

Very nice,

the way they use the tail is spectacular. Not common here in Holland (rare) unfortunately.

Norfolk & Suffolk Aviation Museum at Flixton Today ;

Not sure if it's the done thing, or this is the right place to post, and my apologies if it is not.. but I think I'll head up to The Norfolk & Suffolk Aviation Museum at Flixton, NR35 1NZ (off the B1062 not far from Bungay) as a longer distance run for Katie  this afternoon if anyone wants to meet me there for a wander and a cuppa. < here >  Well worth a visit if you haven't been recently

Pete

Edited by Bfg
9 hours ago, Bfg said:

Norfolk & Suffolk Aviation Museum at Flixton, Norfolk - Today ;

Not sure if it's the done thing, or this is the right place to post, and my apologies if it is not.. but I think I head up to The Norfolk & Suffolk Aviation Museum at Flixton, NR35 1NZ (off the B1062 not far from Bungay) as a longer distance run for Katie  this afternoon if anyone wants to meet me there for a wander and a cuppa. < here >  Well worth a visit if you haven't been recently

Pete

P1420490a.thumb.JPG.453f30f5438d5019f764850aa63ecd2a.JPG

Katie  alongside a Gloster Javelin F(AW).9R which was built in 1958 and saw service until 1966, the year before Katie (amongst the last of her line) was first registered.  

80 mile round trip from home, country village route, and in this weather very a pleasant trundle. Flixton had a good crowd today as the Copdock Bike Club also visit, with around about 120 bikes, and there was also a contingent of amazingly spotless classic Honda (Owners Club), and then again a few of the 'Distinguished Gentlemen' motorcycle club on their way back from a charity run. One of the bikes there was a limited edition (just 500) CCM 600cc single street style bike. There was a flying model club too and also static model attendees too. I enjoyed a good banter with some of the museum's volunteer staff, and some other old gaffers who came to visit this extraordinary museum.   

P1420469s.JPG.13bfd60ce6b89adaaacb44ab4a6d2f50.JPG

Otherwise, classic cars spotted include ; a couple of early short wheelbase LandRovers, a Morris Minor 1000, a plastic bumper MGB-GT, a Rover P6 2000, and what looked to be an early 1960's Bentley Continental coupe.  Very nice too.

On the way back, just a few miles down the road, I dropped in at Billingford Mill . . .

P1420501as.thumb.JPG.70069a7672d466f93d41ddcd3f645d08.JPG

The mill was built in 1859-60 to replace a post mill that had succumbed to excessive winds.  The mill closed down in 1959, which is somewhat amazing in light of that being in the Javelin's era ..and its twin turbo-jet with 13, 390lb of thrust (with reheat).

The mill is now in the capable care of 'The Norfolk Windmill Trust' ..and friends of the windmill, who raised funds for restoration between 2017 and 21.  It's a tranquil place to visit and perhaps stop for a picnic.

Katie, behaved very well, although I was shocked when I stopped for petrol and 30 litres cost close to £60.!  Aside from that things are settling (I've done 300 miles these past 7 days) and I'm getting a few squeaks so perhaps tomorrow I'll wander around and check that bolts are pinched up.  I'll also drop the tyre pressures again, things jiggle a bit on the old Suffolk back roads that may appreciate a little more compliance.  All in all though confidence is building B)

Bidding you a pleasant summer's evening. 

Pete

P1420504.thumb.JPG.609579b967b46e219a2945b1d6148499.JPG   P1420512s.thumb.JPG.63422614289f0bd4c905da90f64387bc.JPG

Edited by Bfg
On 5/20/2022 at 6:09 PM, Misfit said:

Metropole Hotel and Spa for lunch.

Ahhh...
Llandrindod Wells

Good that you found somewhere to eat.

My wife used to work there in the 1970’s.
The town only had one sandwich shop in those days.
They closed for lunch from 12.00 to 14.00 !

Charlie

15 hours ago, Bfg said:

P1420490a.thumb.JPG.453f30f5438d5019f764850aa63ecd2a.JPG

Katie  alongside a Gloster Javelin F(AW).9R which was built in 1958 and saw service until 1966, the year before Katie (amongst the last of her line) was first registered.  

80 mile round trip from home, country village route, and in this weather very a pleasant trundle. Flixton had a good crowd today as the Copdock Bike Club also visit, with around about 120 bikes, and there was also a contingent of amazingly spotless classic Honda (Owners Club), and then again a few of the 'Distinguished Gentlemen' motorcycle club on their way back from a charity run. One of the bikes there was a limited edition (just 500) CCM 600cc single street style bike. There was a flying model club too and also static model attendees too. I enjoyed a good banter with some of the museum's volunteer staff, and some other old gaffers who came to visit this extraordinary museum.   

P1420469s.JPG.13bfd60ce6b89adaaacb44ab4a6d2f50.JPG

Otherwise, classic cars spotted include ; a couple of early short wheelbase LandRovers, a Morris Minor 1000, a plastic bumper MGB-GT, a Rover P6 2000, and what looked to be an early 1960's Bentley Continental coupe.  Very nice too.

On the way back, just a few miles down the road, I dropped in at Billingford Mill . . .

P1420501as.thumb.JPG.70069a7672d466f93d41ddcd3f645d08.JPG

The mill was built in 1859-60 to replace a post mill that had succumbed to excessive winds.  The mill closed down in 1959, which is somewhat amazing in light of that being in the Javelin's era ..and its twin turbo-jet with 13, 390lb of thrust (with reheat).

The mill is now in the capable care of 'The Norfolk Windmill Trust' ..and friends of the windmill, who raised funds for restoration between 2017 and 21.  It's a tranquil place to visit and perhaps stop for a picnic.

Katie, behaved very well, although I was shocked when I stopped for petrol and 30 litres cost close to £60.!  Aside from that things are settling (I've done 300 miles these past 7 days) and I'm getting a few squeaks so perhaps tomorrow I'll wander around and check that bolts are pinched up.  I'll also drop the tyre pressures again, things jiggle a bit on the old Suffolk back roads that may appreciate a little more compliance.  All in all though confidence is building B)

Bidding you a pleasant summer's evening. 

Pete

P1420504.thumb.JPG.609579b967b46e219a2945b1d6148499.JPG   P1420512s.thumb.JPG.63422614289f0bd4c905da90f64387bc.JPG

Good to see you out and about, great photos and interesting content. Just spent a week in Wales, can’t count the times I filled up. Got to be done.

On 5/20/2022 at 6:09 PM, Misfit said:

Metropole Hotel and Spa for lunch.

EB0D192E-0BC6-494D-BD97-C15F8C5C5B12.jpeg

The Metropole Hotel, Llandrindod Wells and Raymond Baxter

Raymond Baxter (remember him from Tomorrow’s World) was the BBC's motoring correspondent from 1950 – 1966.

It was in January 1959 while commentating on the Monte Carlo Rally, broadcast from a studio set up in the Metropole Hotel, Llandrindod Wells that he announced to the world that he was sitting in the third coldest place on earth – Not the North Pole, Not the South Pole but the Metro Pole in Llandrindod Wells!

(The Metropole is a large Hotel and in earlier times did not have all the modern features we now take for granted. And in the 1950’s it did not have central heating….)

Martin

PS Just spent a week at the Metropole, - must have just missed you.

Dan that makes the corvette look like comparable size to the plucky little Brit