Where did you drive to with your TR today

9 hours ago, RogerH said:

Yesterday, me and sue took the 4A to West Wittering (the long way round) avoiding GoodWood.

The new Cafe there is very god indeed. A few years back the old one mysteriously burnt down (all the chip fat in the extractor spontaneously combusted - probably)

Upon leaving the car park (quite slowly) I became aware of screaming and shouting.  I had left my very expensive camera on the boot lid. Many thanks to the gent that was doing the screaming and shouting.

Then we went off to Selsey. A very odd place - first impression is that it is a tip but if you look deeper it is a very nice little town with some good pubs.

Things got better - I found a couple of lobsters going for not a lot of £££. So we sat on a bench looking out to sea and eating a punnet of prawns.

We then got up and left. Drove abut 10 miles towards Brighton for an ice cream and realised that my shoulder bag with all my worldly possessions were not in the car.  Quick U turn and race back to the bench looking at every inch of the road to see where it may have dropped off.

The bench was bare - bu99er.  I asked a couple of women, they had not seen it. I then asked a man and he also had no idea.

As I continued to walk along the sea front  (this is a raised sea defense with a pathway along it heading towards the RNLI boat house)   a couple of women way down below in a field shouted up asking if I had lost anything - success. 

However they did not have the bag but had a phone number of another woman that had the bag but wouldn't be contactable till 4.30pm (this was now 3pm).  So I took the details and headed for a pub.  I got the bag back and had a nice chat t the lady at 4pm.

Despite my silly memory we had three successes 1, got the lobsters,  2, didn't kill the camera,  3, got my precious bag back. 

PLUS my faith in humanity has been restored  thank you people.

Roger

Great news, Roger.

My students often surprise me with their generosity. They teach me in their own way by example.

Just wondering what camera you have. Canon? Sony? Nikon? Rolleiflex? Leica? Mirrorless 35mm? Just plain curious and we all know what that did to the CAT. So not a problem if not.

Ciao,

David

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

sunset at John o'Groats

Took my cousin out to lunch. She was born in 1918.   Tom

Lovely end to a lovely day. Crisp winter coastal run, and down to the beach for a stroll at sundown.  Happy new year all, Deggers

Posted Images

Hi David,

the camera is a Nikon D7500 and has far more facilities on board than I will ever need.

The lens is the 70-300 Nikkor (Nikon)

They both works of art and genius.

My Ideal camera would be the Practika L with a solid state image sensor. Manual everything.

I know it sounds mad, and I know that the D7500 can be run on manual but!!!

Roger

Sounds like a very tidy piece of kit!! I had Nikons, then a couple of years ago, I switched to Sonys. A pocket one with a zoom lens, I use a lot. And a mirrorless for slower shots. I planned to use both for filming too, but my other projects forced me to do one thing as well as I could instead of several shabbily.

By the way, I am a fan of your posts, learn so much. By understanding I can at least get a notion of what's right and not quite right, and increase my TR's reliability, even if I can't see myself doing anything major myself.

Ciao, David

10 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi David,

the camera is a Nikon D7500 and has far more facilities on board than I will ever need.

The lens is the 70-300 Nikkor (Nikon)

They both works of art and genius.

My Ideal camera would be the Practika L with a solid state image sensor. Manual everything.

Roger

Hi Roger, 

same car (TR4A), same Nikon camera and second telephoto lens, and go to similar places on holiday ( west Scotland  - am there now).  Coincidence.

Paul

13 hours ago, RogerH said:

Roger

My ideal would be my Olympus OM1 with Digital back. !  I have a Panasonic Lumix something, it's very good in auto mode, but far too complicated to try to use manualy.

Bob

On 9/18/2021 at 1:00 PM, RogerH said:

Yesterday, me and sue took the 4A to West Wittering (the long way round) avoiding GoodWood.

The new Cafe there is very god indeed. A few years back the old one mysteriously burnt down (all the chip fat in the extractor spontaneously combusted - probably)

Upon leaving the car park (quite slowly) I became aware of screaming and shouting.  I had left my very expensive camera on the boot lid. Many thanks to the gent that was doing the screaming and shouting.

Then we went off to Selsey. A very odd place - first impression is that it is a tip but if you look deeper it is a very nice little town with some good pubs.

Things got better - I found a couple of lobsters going for not a lot of £££. So we sat on a bench looking out to sea and eating a punnet of prawns.

We then got up and left. Drove abut 10 miles towards Brighton for an ice cream and realised that my shoulder bag with all my worldly possessions were not in the car.  Quick U turn and race back to the bench looking at every inch of the road to see where it may have dropped off.

The bench was bare - bu99er.  I asked a couple of women, they had not seen it. I then asked a man and he also had no idea.

As I continued to walk along the sea front  (this is a raised sea defense with a pathway along it heading towards the RNLI boat house)   a couple of women way down below in a field shouted up asking if I had lost anything - success. 

However they did not have the bag but had a phone number of another woman that had the bag but wouldn't be contactable till 4.30pm (this was now 3pm).  So I took the details and headed for a pub.  I got the bag back and had a nice chat t the lady at 4pm.

Despite my silly memory we had three successes 1, got the lobsters,  2, didn't kill the camera,  3, got my precious bag back. 

PLUS my faith in humanity has been restored  thank you people.

Roger

Guess you did not visit Steve at BodyLine while you were in Selsey.   A collector of numerous vehicles.

https://selsey.cylex-uk.co.uk/company/bodyline-classic-car-repairs-18604008.html

He did the paint on my car.

117D71D5-AF1F-4C84-B99C-F7B116CD70E3.jpeg

Hi Bob,

I have a Lumix TZ20 and it is very good.

However there is a design fault. When you turn it ON the advancing lens assembly creates a small vacuum inside the box of tricks and it sucks air and dust in.  It needs to be dis-assembled annually to clean the image sensor.

Hi Pete,

I'm sure I walked or drove past a garage displaying 'Bodyline' - I had not need to pop in though.

Roger

Not in the 3A (but in the company of two 6s - one triple Webered and one standard) travelling south from Roskoff to Santander with a group of pre-1990 cars. I am co-driving an Alfetta GTV owned by a friend. Presently at Santillana del Mare and ready for a few days in the Picos. The picture was taken at Carcassonne a few days ago. Great cross country driving and scenery as we are avoiding major roads where possible.

Miles

IMG_0881.jpg.d0dd6828de4a7badaa8fdc9f43528bdb.jpg

On 9/23/2021 at 5:25 PM, MilesA said:

Not in the 3A (but in the company of two 6s - one triple Webered and one standard) travelling south from Roskoff to Santander with a group of pre-1990 cars. I am co-driving an Alfetta GTV owned by a friend. Presently at Santillana del Mare and ready for a few days in the Picos. The picture was taken at Carcassonne a few days ago. Great cross country driving and scenery as we are avoiding major roads where possible.

Miles

IMG_0881.jpg.d0dd6828de4a7badaa8fdc9f43528bdb.jpg

Nice motors.

Carcassonne! Famous Cathar fortress. They were something else. (Dualists).

Well, the next day the Alfa suffered a mechanical failure. The nearside drive shaft connected itself from the flange on the Diff'. Bizarrely, all six bolts had unwound themselves from the threaded holes in the flange. Fortunately, none of the bolts were lost as the gaiter on the driveshaft prevented them from falling out. Easily fixed as nothing was stripped and all 6 bolts just needed reinstalling and torquing up properly!

IMG_0919.thumb.jpg.db2415f4809d7b2fdec19ccb12bbe085.jpg

IMG_0916.thumb.jpg.09c3ce0abeea622dfc80d2680f81ad4e.jpg

A few days later we lost one of the retaining bolts from the nearside front brake calliper and found that one of the bolts on the offside calliper had started to unwind itself. Fortunately again, a spare, correct sized bolt was in the spares box of another participant - Jo, a young farm machinery mechanic - who promptly cut it down to length with his cordless angle grinder! His tools and spares were stored in two office removal boxes. Needless to say he was not driving a TR.

Virtually all cars suffered some form of problem. A trip like this really does find them out!

Miles

Touring the North Black Forest today we stopped at "Marxzell" to visit the "oldtimer"-museum there (old vehicle-museum).

qIZ0sqUm-cjoJUY59-l44oGWMJwUJV6KRey8mzDb

Some may think the museum is cram-full with scrap, but indeed it is cram-full with treasures!

Pre war MBs, BWMs, MGs, Harley Davidsons, French cars, RR, Hurlimann tractors (CH), NSU Kettenrad, 2 Neander MCs, an Anzani pacing bike,

Simplex LaFrance fire engine, steam engines, French and German "small cars", tools, engines, some small airplanes, a Z1300, Laverda Jota, Zündapp KS800,

Suzuki RE5, thinks of common life from the 20-80-ies, a Simca 9 sport coupe.....  

All pretty much used but in lovely condition.

NhZ9KgU5QbwUWX0Jn2pO7HYBm_0YRT4FMXN5AGyt

If you ever be near there - stop for a visit!

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320

Went out for a drive this afternoon towards Clumber Park, got caught in the rain. No hood in boot, schoolboy error. Glad the interior is vinyl. Unfortunately my wife isn't waterproof and made sure I knew!

Afternoon all, well I think we’re on our last week’s holiday of this year, our first stop was at a garden centre at Ashbourne, then a very pleasant drive to   Wymondham windmill at Melton Mowbray, then our final destination EastWalled Gardens.

Mike Redrose group 

1EE27D32-B634-4C76-BBE2-E72D28DA66A9.jpeg

B0056570-C9BC-4132-AB11-8DDD27449AEC.jpeg

3E224AE1-3D50-460B-B0F9-62E4FA2A9393.jpeg

40B3329F-0B2D-4C66-9EA9-A422C8BD02ED.jpeg

What is it with birds and tarmac?  I was out for a blast last week and had to keep slowing right down, for gangs of either pigeons, pheasant or grouse sitting in the middle of the road.  You would have though 'automotive selection' would have eliminated that trait - perhaps Darwin was mistaken after all. :o

Few of the group, had a two-dayer, to visit the The great British Car Museum, at Ambergate.

Deciding not to use the motorways and instead A roads over Saddleworth and down through the Peak District, meant

some terrific driving. Musuem is good too!

John.

ambergate foe forum..jpg

Went to Alnmouth on the Northumberland coast today to meet some family members for an early birthday do for my mother.   Passed Northumberlandia on the way (saw the big breasts on the way back though - thought that might get your attention) and up the spine road passing several beautiful golden sandy beaches.  Went through lovely Warkworth with its fantastic castle  (not my photo here)

Warkworth Castle

and up to Alnmouth.   

IMG_1823

I've been going for decades but it was recently subject to the BBC series Villages by the sea - available on iPlayer and was described as the prettiest place to see from a train window a while ago.    See also Alnmouth guide or Explore Alnmouth . Unfortunately I did not get time for a walk along the lovely beach (not my photo here again)

Alnmouth Beach looking North

Paul

(edited to get the photo links to work)

Edited by PaulAnderson