Where did you drive to with your TR today

11 hours ago, RogerH said:

Me and Sue popped out this evening and headed West along the A40.

Did a good 100 miles and the 4A went like a Rolex watch (but with a nice exhaust note)

Only issue - the overdrive indicator LED did not come on.

Roger

Overdrive indicator led? Tell me more

Andy

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

sunset at John o'Groats

Took my cousin out to lunch. She was born in 1918.   Tom

Lovely end to a lovely day. Crisp winter coastal run, and down to the beach for a stroll at sundown.  Happy new year all, Deggers

Posted Images

3 hours ago, 2long said:

I think it’s interesting how some good car photos use a dirty/industrial/uninviting backdrop to highlight the car.  This is my attempt at a warehouse location but it doesn’t quite get it right.  Anyone else try that?

Cheers

Dan

AED849F9-7B9D-47E0-85A9-4D37CF070F90.jpeg

Hi Dan,

I like it, but more I like the photo from the beach you send me for my small DIY TR2-3 2020 wall calendar.

It is on top now at July!

Ciao, Marco

That's a lovely car Dan..

From a purely photographic point of view, and of course personally speaking - I don't like perspective distortion of a close up lens in this sort of shot, in short.,  verticals are better near vertical, and otherwise the shot is too closely cropped.  Only to illustrate these points, I (very quickly and without a lot of care) edited your photo below.. 

..and just because.. I also lost the colours to give this version of the photo an era-less  B&W  look ..   Not to everyone's taste but for me industrial architectural backgrounds work well ..with a black car,  when the background is period-coloured stone masonry or otherwise rich in colour.  Black car against grey with yellow parking lines didn't work for me,  and although I did like the rust tones of the background wall, I found they were not a good compliment to the colour of the car's trim. 

Just thoughts, which I sincerely hope are taken as a constructive critique rather than damning.  

Pete.

AED849F9-7B9Da.jpg.4fde7c5ea0d634098708b538168ae8ab.jpg

I really do appreciate the constructive suggestions on the photo concepts.  I have gotten interested in photography now that I have a decent one in my phone that is always handy.   It it has always been hard to understand what general concepts work and how to apply.  And Pete, you did upgrade the shot for sure.  Thanks all

Dan

I'm glad you didn't take offense Dan  ..I fear that sometimes my opinion steps over the line or is misinterpreted ..even though I may only be trying to help. 

' Where did you drive with your TR today ? '  is perhaps not the thread to discuss the matter further,  but I'm sure I read in passing (but didn't have an opportunity to follow it more closely)  that there was someone else talking about taking better photos of your car,  or at least tips on how to create great 'period' style photos.  I just did a quick search but cannot find it so perhaps I'm just going ga ga ..   However if you cannot find it yourself, or else no-one steps forward to point us in the right direction, then why not start a thread on photographing you car ?   I'd be glad to contribute with my ..former professional 'designer ' point of view  re. staging, composition, colours lighting, backgrounds, etc.  I might even cite stuff from my quite inconsequential, but still I gather rather rare  'O-level' in Photography.   oo la la   :P

. . .

. . . . .  

. . . . . . . . . .    Ah ha., ..cher clink ! penny drop and it quietly rolling away.  I remember.. it was in the TR Action magazine, back in  2003 (September)  ..in  Letters to the Editor,  where the editor's reception to a photograph sent in was most discouraging and perhaps disparaging (i.m.o.).   Personally I thought was good ..and particularly excellently timed ..but an idea the editor was promoting  " was to feature period cars in period surrounding with people dressed in period clothes and all extras relating to the period. Period.

Again, if you wish to start a 'period revival' of the topic :ph34r:  ..on how to take great photos of your car, as a new thread - then I'd be glad to join in.

Pete.

P1360273a.thumb.jpg.083df4df5618d42747f784f9204b9cc6.jpg

^ As I say i liked it,  but  just perhaps  as it was sent in response to an earlier article / book review re. capturing ' the period '  -  I might have also cropped it to better emphasis that era  ..sorta like this. . 

P1360275.thumb.JPG.632c3b0323f82ce3fd8d2db3ed75ad48.JPG

Anyway I'm way off thread, so .. my apologies to all.  I will now go back into my shell.

Edited by Bfg

There is a tendency to crop the photos too tightly because you are mainly interested in the car. This loses the context of the landscape. You probably need to put more emphasis on the location and then introduce the car.

I would point out that I am talking absolute bollocks, but it does sound convincing :D

This picture illustrates my point.

blue-ford-mustang-rtr-parked-in-front-of-a-factory-51929-2880x1800.jpg

That is a very nice shot for sure and just the idea I had in mind.  Tight or wide is another interesting exercise.  Interestingly, sometimes I am so anxious to capture the whole scene or the whole car that I forget how a tight shot with only part of the car can work well, as Pete’s photo shows.  I really should switch all this to another thread (quite right Pete), but all the fun help I got is already here!  

2 hours ago, Bfg said:

I'm glad you didn't take offense Dan  ..I fear that sometimes my opinion steps over the line or is misinterpreted ..even though I may only be trying to help. 

' Where did you drive with your TR today ? '  is perhaps not the thread to discuss the matter further,  but I'm sure I read in passing (but didn't have an opportunity to follow it more closely)  that there was someone else talking about taking better photos of your car,  or at least tips on how to create great 'period' style photos.  I just did a quick search but cannot find it so perhaps I'm just going ga ga ..   However if you cannot find it yourself, or else no-one steps forward to point us in the right direction, then why not start a thread on photographing you car ?   I'd be glad to contribute with my ..former professional 'designer ' point of view  re. staging, composition, colours lighting, backgrounds, etc.  I might even cite stuff from my quite inconsequential, but still I gather rather rare  'O-level' in Photography.   oo la la   :P

. . .

. . . . .  

. . . . . . . . . .    Ah ha., ..cher clink ! penny drop and it quietly rolling away.  I remember.. it was in the TR Action magazine, back in  2003 (September)  ..in  Letters to the Editor,  where the editor's reception to a photograph sent in was most discouraging and perhaps disparaging (i.m.o.).   Personally I thought was good ..and particularly excellently timed ..but an idea the editor was promoting  " was to feature period cars in period surrounding with people dressed in period clothes and all extras relating to the period. Period.

Again, if you wish to start a 'period revival' of the topic :ph34r:  ..on how to take great photos of your car, as a new thread - then I'd be glad to join in.

Pete.

P1360273a.thumb.jpg.083df4df5618d42747f784f9204b9cc6.jpg

^ As I say i liked it,  but  just perhaps  as it was sent in response to an earlier article / book review re. capturing ' the period '  -  I might have also cropped it to better emphasis that era  ..sorta like this. . 

P1360275.thumb.JPG.632c3b0323f82ce3fd8d2db3ed75ad48.JPG

Anyway I'm way off thread, so .. my apologies to all.  I will now go back into my shell.

Hi Pete,

Interesting that you should find this old thread. My photo and my car (now in Canada). I was a little offended by the editors comments, however, I was vindicated at the end of the year when the photo was judged to be the best photo in TR Action for 2003. I still have the award.

The picture does look good cropped, however I was conscious of the fact the glovebox lid was missing and that is further highlighted by the cropping.

Thanks for the memory.

Graeme

1 hour ago, graeme said:

Hi Pete,

Interesting that you should find this old thread. My photo and my car (now in Canada). I was a little offended by the editors comments, however, I was vindicated at the end of the year when the photo was judged to be the best photo in TR Action for 2003. I still have the award.

The picture does look good cropped, however I was conscious of the fact the glovebox lid was missing and that is further highlighted by the cropping.

Thanks for the memory.

Graeme

Brilliant ! B)  

And I just assumed the glove-box was open from when you grabbed the camera ..surely that is correct ..isn't it Graeme. ??   ;)

p.s.  I want the Like button back  - many times ..Please Mr. Moderator Sir.

15 hours ago, Richard Green 54 said:

There is a tendency to crop the photos too tightly because you are mainly interested in the car. This loses the context of the landscape. You probably need to put more emphasis on the location and then introduce the car.

I would point out that I am talking absolute bollocks, but it does sound convincing :D

This picture illustrates my point.

blue-ford-mustang-rtr-parked-in-front-of-a-factory-51929-2880x1800.jpg

Like  ..and agree  (this meaning ..I agree with your advice not the absolute bxxx's bit :D

Edited by Bfg
11 hours ago, Misfit said:

Have you got a blue tint filter on that Dan or are you actually in heaven, because it looks like heaven to me. Pure white sand blue sky and sea and a TR. 

A little closer to home - Barra    0uter Hebrides June 09

Roger

IMGP5784a.jpg