Where did you drive to with your TR today

Well getting back on track then,

This weeks run was into the North Pennines, Flask of Coffee, chunk of Turkey and Ham Pie from a local butcher,

and 135 mls, of top down Tr'ing - marvelous.

John.

hartside run, june 8th 2020..jpg

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

sunset at John o'Groats

Took my cousin out to lunch. She was born in 1918.   Tom

Lovely end to a lovely day. Crisp winter coastal run, and down to the beach for a stroll at sundown.  Happy new year all, Deggers

Posted Images

100+ mile test drive into the hills

great drive.

and survived the big bird stone !!

280CF654-BBFB-4E63-83B5-86820250EF1C.jpeg

8643CAB0-43CF-4D82-BD3E-1C95E8AEB2B2.jpeg

86E97DF0-0CB6-4DE2-918F-4DC578E7FC94.jpeg

Had a drive to Maldon saturday lunch time ,not stopping though . it was good to see quite a lot of other very shiny classics getting a run out as well .

Roy

2 hours ago, Hamish said:

280CF654-BBFB-4E63-83B5-86820250EF1C.jpeg

Brilliant to see your car in such an arresting landscape and very nicely photographed. So how did you find the steering, after all that negative camber thing, trunnions, etc. etc.? Your driving test impressions?

Edited by DavidBee

After my 'lockdown' refurb I took the 4A for a shakedown run to Runnymede.  There is a massive grassy car park next to the Thames.

There is also a little cafe that does good bacon butties.

The car ran very well with just two little niggles.  When we got to the car park I was stunned. There were 100's and 100's  of cars.

It was just like a  weekend in deep August.

The bacon butty was good though.

Roger

1 hour ago, DavidBee said:

Brilliant to see your car in such an arresting landscape and very nicely photographed. So how did you find the steering, after all that negative camber thing, trunnions, etc. etc.? Your driving test impressions?

I’ve updated here

1 hour ago, RogerH said:

After my 'lockdown' refurb I took the 4A for a shakedown run to Runnymede.  There is a massive grassy car park next to the Thames.

There is also a little cafe that does good bacon butties.

The car ran very well with just two little niggles.  When we got to the car park I was stunned. There were 100's and 100's  of cars.

It was just like a  weekend in deep August.

The bacon butty was good though.

Roger

We know that spot very well, it's one of our regular mooring up places, across the road you have got the Kennedy memorial,

The RAF memorial, the Magna Carta memorial,& only a couple of years ago a large concrete structure was placed in the meadow which you can go inside:

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/press-release/writ-in-water--new-public-artwork-by-mark-wallinger-is-unveiled-at-runnymede-to-celebrate-the-legacy-of-magna-carta

Worth a look if you are there again.

Bob.

Having joined the register last year, had a new knee, salted roads and then lock down I didn't get the opportunity to attend any local meetings.

Situated in the Chalfonts between Chilterns and North London

Now the lock down rules have eased a little and we are able to get out and enjoy our cars, are there any members interested in a run out, at distance coffee and chat.

( Convoy limited to 6 cars ! ).

Phil

15 minutes ago, Derek Hurford said:

I hadn’t been here for years until today, You could walk around the cottages not any more

8E4B0F1F-BAEE-48F6-B235-C2933CF39FF3.jpeg.7e6a9bc5b599ac09db3d5e27cf04ec0b.jpeg

7E5A52BF-D96D-4066-A105-C0DEEEC4513D.jpeg

4D8B4799-0BF4-44D1-B596-ED965C41F13C.jpeg

7B81F301-F683-4CB6-B582-EAB901D643A5.jpeg

BF2E11B4-E4C0-4FFE-BA1E-83A55F3304A5.jpeg

Still very nice though. Where is it? Let me guess. Cornwall?

No David it is Hallsands, in South Hams, Devon. The Car was on the ferry From Dartmouth to Kingswear. 

It’s the village where they removed the shingle from the beach to increase the size of Plymouth docks, it affected the sea defence and the Cottages were destroyed by the sea. 

The second photo shows what it was like and the third is taken today from the same place.

Edited by Derek Hurford
10 minutes ago, Derek Hurford said:

No David it is Hallsands, in South Hams, Devon. The Car was on the ferry From Dartmouth to Kingswear. 

It’s the village where they removed the shingle from the beach to increase the size of Plymouth docks, it affected the sea defence and the Cottages were destroyed by the sea. 

The second photo shows what it was like and the third is taken today from the same place.

Quite amazing, tragic though. So much suffering in that word, history. And what is sad is that so much of it really avoidable. 

I remember taking students to Pompei, many years ago. They taught me a lesson. Of course I wanted them to see the mosaics, the frescoes, architecture. But what they saw was a grave, as I discovered when I read their class notebooks. They were saddened by this. Little did I know until later. But, of course, the eruptions of Mount Vesuvius weren't avoidable.

I spent a day at Herculaneum, the bodies in the cellars, where they tried to get away from the ash. How the ash preserved so much, the pots and the paint, wood, even  rope just as it was, they found it when the farmer sunk a well. 

There is still so much not uncovered with properties built on top, I found the site very interesting and so sad. 

15 minutes ago, Derek Hurford said:

I spent a day at Herculaneum, the bodies in the cellars, where they tried to get away from the ash. How the ash preserved so much, the pots and the paint, wood, even  rope just as it was, they found it when the farmer sunk a well. 

There is still so much not uncovered with properties built on top, I found the site very interesting and so sad. 

Yes, that's true. You are a witness to suffering of people whose bodies are but plastercasts of empty space, once bodies surrounded by hardening ash.

Almost two thousand years later some archaelogist had the bright idea of boring holes where they suspected Pompei was, the more they found cavities underground. They came up with the idea of filling them with plaster and then chipped away at the soft stone.

This is how they reconstituted the shapes and volume of human beings. That is what we still see: the traces of struggling to stay alive, and whatever else we can imagine.

And yet, when I last visited, some of these plaster cast "statues" were scattered uncerimoniously in a depot. When I stop to think about it... I know it was such a long time ago, but even so.

I found Herculaneum much more evocative than Pompeii.  The state of preservation seemed better and you got the feeling of actually being in a city rather than just collection of ruins. It also gives a real idea of the extent of the eruption, through the depth of the deposit from which it has been excavated. Highly recommended. 

2 hours ago, Derek Hurford said:

I hadn’t been here for years until today, You could walk around the cottages not any more

8E4B0F1F-BAEE-48F6-B235-C2933CF39FF3.jpeg.7e6a9bc5b599ac09db3d5e27cf04ec0b.jpeg

7E5A52BF-D96D-4066-A105-C0DEEEC4513D.jpeg

4D8B4799-0BF4-44D1-B596-ED965C41F13C.jpeg

7B81F301-F683-4CB6-B582-EAB901D643A5.jpeg

BF2E11B4-E4C0-4FFE-BA1E-83A55F3304A5.jpeg

Thanks for the post Derek a lovely area. The higher ferry is my preferred crossing I remember driving the old paddle ferry when I was about 10 !!!

wouldnt be allowed now of course !!!

2 minutes ago, Hamish said:

Thanks for the post Derek a lovely area. The higher ferry is my preferred crossing I remember driving the old paddle ferry when I was about 10 !!!

wouldnt be allowed now of course !!!

The cliffs are still being eroded, I spoke to a local in her forties, who’s family have lived there for generations.
How it’s changed over recent years. the ferry, I use the lower ferry I have tickets although I was told today they don’t take them anymore, this would be the last time.

RobH, I agree Herculaneum is well worth a visit.

Had a nice 40ish mile drive through the Surrey/Kent/Sussex borders yesterday with my wife and Charlie the spaniel.

Took in Lingfield, Edenbridge, Cowden, Hartfield, Forest Row, East Grinstead and a few more. Stopped in Forest Row to have an ice cream in the sunshine, but I only had an old fashioned currency called cash and the shop wouldn't take it - cards only......oh well no ice cream.

Lovely day for a drive

Forest Row 21.06.20.jpg

1 hour ago, brenda said:

As its such a nice day I had a 60 mile run around the lanes of Cheshire, hopefully get out again Sunday for a longer run.

Mike Redrose group 

CAE3F159-0A5C-41D5-B5B5-233ACAB224D2.jpeg

Nice one Mike.