Where did you drive to with your TR today

28 minutes ago, Mick Forey said:

Shame he is a bit confused about where the engine came from. The de Haviland Tiger Moth is powered by a de Haviland Gipsy Major engine, an inverted 4 cylinder, air cooled in-line unit. Inverted as this configuration gets the crankshaft and therefore propeller further away from the ground. 9 cylinder radial engines were produced by a number of manufacturers during WW1 &2.

I will put my anorak away, sit back and admire the cars.

Mick

Mick, From what I recall he used 2 cylinder assemblies from a radial engine and built a crankcase and c/shaft from scratch. Peter

Most of the GN Specials are towards the end : Gnat, Thunderbug, Wasp, Spider and the Cognac Special ( Co GN AC)

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold
  • Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

sunset at John o'Groats

Took my cousin out to lunch. She was born in 1918.   Tom

Lovely end to a lovely day. Crisp winter coastal run, and down to the beach for a stroll at sundown.  Happy new year all, Deggers

Posted Images

He mentioned Salmson at one point I think - and they did make an air-cooled radial, so perhaps he meant a biplane rather than specifically a TM, in the same way people call all vacuum cleaners 'hoovers' ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salmson_air-cooled_aero-engines

52 minutes ago, RobH said:

He mentioned Salmson at one point I think - and they did make an air-cooled radial, so perhaps he meant a biplane rather than specifically a TM, in the same way people call all vacuum cleaners 'hoovers' ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salmson_air-cooled_aero-engines

More info here. Its a Riley crankcase:  http://prntscr.com/ol59xn

Salmson cyliders and his own crank.

Peter

Design for Riley aero engine is here. 1914, ingnenious. But not sure of it went into production

http://www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/POWER/unusualICeng/axial-ICeng/axial-IC.htm

Edited by Peter Cobbold

Today we were at the Devizes & District Motor Club Valleys & Villages run. This was was once again well organised and very pleasant classic car run. Lots of very nice TRs. Also an essentially original and very nice 1954 P4 Rover 60 - there can't be many of them around.

Recommended.

Al

1 minute ago, acaie said:

Today we were at the Devizes & District Motor Club Valleys & Villages run. This was was once again well organised and very pleasant classic car run. Lots of very nice TRs. Also an essentially original and very nice 1954 P4 Rover 60 - there can't be many of them around.

Recommended.

Al

myself and Sue were also there. I can only agree, a very well organised run with good country lanes and stunning scenery.  

Roger

Had a small drive around the locality at lunchtime, after some fresh Valvoline yesterday theTR6 seems smoother than ever :-)

Had a day out with 3 sisters at Wigan 

sorry that should say AT 3 sisters circuit, just me and a triumph sprint in the club champs. 

Few total entrants but lots of runs including a spin :angry: await the video. ........

but I did beat my class bogey time tho before the biblical rain came. 

• 2 weeks later...

..had a great weekend at Stratford

P1260011.thumb.JPG.81db311e6926a31efa54b8b124c209f5.JPG

A sight to greet you ..with Triumphs as far as one could see.  With the TSSC together with the TR Register there was lots of interesting cars to see and keen owners to share their knowledge and enthusiasm, and then of course ten times as many non-standard  'personal touches' ..as one massive spot-the-difference game. 

P1260027.thumb.JPG.d5e9cbef2eb7dea67aab408e3d45b8c4.JPG

As you can see despite the forecasts all week it turned out - breezy but otherwise good weather.  I took this photo on Saturday during the Pride of Owner competition, not realising the absolutely gorgeous midnight blue TR4A which had caught my eye had a registration number familiar to these pages.  See Mike's post of August 10th  : "driving the Dingle Peninsula".   Personally (..as a non-participant in this event myself)  ..and bearing in mind how that car gets around a bit and is obviously just so enjoyed - I was delighted to see Brenda taking home 1st place in that competition.  Congratulations to Mike and Mrs 'Brenda' on such a sterling achievement..

P1260056.thumb.JPG.fe80d8d27a171764b66c8b2a38d48de5.JPG

However it was equally as wonderful to wander around the camping site to quietly chat to owners and to see what delights they had brought out to show us..

P1260064.thumb.JPG.26dcfc9345a9175134e731e43f298056.JPG

Sunday was less packed but as you can see there were very many more cars to see.  being the 50th anniversary of the TR6 there was a fabulous turnout of that model, and then I was astounded by how many TR5 & 250's I saw over the weekend. I'd never imagined so many had survived and were cherished. I'm old enough to remember the day when nobody wanted such gas-guzzlers !  Being a prior owner of a daily driver TR3 - I'm a big ban fan of TR2 and 3 cars, so i spent quite a while looking and taking photos of those.  And then again because I'd restored a TR4 (in the early 90's)  ..and am now buying a 4A,  a fair amount of my interests was focused on those models too.   Sunday's showing presented the cars according to model,  so you'll see in the background (above) an equally fine collection of TR7's and 8s.

The Triumph Herald celebrated it 60th anniversary and again as a prior owner, and also a member of the TSSC with a friend with a Herald estate, I was delighted to see them in abundance.  I could easily envisage having a Herald as a nice & practical town car and a TR4 for spirited cross-country jaunts and touring.   Similarly the Triumph 2000 / 2.5 estates always catch my eye,  and whenever I see Triumph Stags - I think back to my dear old Mum, who I think was quite disappointed when I bought a '64 Daimler 2.5 instead of the Stag (always a favourite with her).  

A few oldies of the Standard and Vanguard marque were a welcome sight and the 1948 motor-show Triumph ? roadster was there too.  With features reminiscent of a post-war Frazer Nash but very much more bulbous a car.  The body is all alloy so I guess not very heavy (and despite not having been restored looks to be in really good condition)  Its headlamps have pop open covers (think Lotus elan and you'll get the picture of how the covers look when closed.) and the car also include many hydraulically operated features including its hood (soft top).   This fascinating vehicle and snapshot of post-war car design trends in response to 'Export or Die'  politics and steel rationing, is looking for a kindly benefactor-enthusiast to restore it .. who knows perhaps crowd funding ?? 

There was so much to see for a returnee to the Triumph marque (after many years away) and so I had a great show.  I really thank the organisers who pulled it all together, as well as the marshals and volunteers who made all things happen pretty smoothly.  Great job boys and girls !

As for my own self.. well, I camped next to the very gentlemanly Yoop VanLiempt and his dearest wife Connie, ..a frequent visitor to international TR events over the past 20 years. I understand Yoop has some 40 cars including a collection of TR 2 through to TR7 models.  We spent a very pleasant time sitting in our garden chairs drinking coffee and watching the many and varied Triumphs parade passed us into and out of the main arena field.   I also had the opportunity to help Rich Crewe-Read (a very kindly friend from the East Saxon TR group) set up his gazebo / trader's stand in the gusty winds of Saturday morning,  before I trotted off to the show itself.  Rich had an impressive range (eight or so ?) different gearboxes restored by Peter Cox to show,  explain the differences, and to offer TR owners  ..as well as his very high quality aluminium fuel tanks and a host of other goodies on offer.  While in that corner of the paddock  I also spread a little wealth around the various auto-jumblers.  I'm well-pleased with what I bought - a pair of black with whit(ish) piping TR4A seats and their runners for £40,  a brand-new finned alloy rocker-cover for £55,  and a very good condition TR3 centre console panel for £10.  

I left soon after 3pm on the Sunday.  Even so on the return from Stratford to Suffolk  I stop-started passed the M1 roadworks at a slug's pace,  rather than go around the A14 roadworks and Cambridge at a snail's pace.  The distance was much the same either route, but I had arranged to pick up the TR3 steel gearbox cover I'd agreed to buy from Brian Chiswick in Stotfold.  Brian has a lovely TR3A and so we also had a good chat.  I'm equally pleased with that purchase,  so it was an all round a most enjoyable and also successful weekend for me.  The drive across country from Stotfold via Sudbury to Ipswich is a great drive,  so I then had a fun driving fast "only to the speed limit Officer" as a golden sunset illuminated the fields all around me.  Autumn is fast on the way. 

I arrived home soon after 9pm,  so 6-hours for a 160mile trip.  And to think we actually pay good wages to civil servants to manage our road network.!   It's not as if roads are a new thing in this country.  I'm sure 2000 years ago or thereabouts the Romans popped across here for a week or two and built the Fosse Way.  That's a decent road which for all its years - has probably had less roadworks than the M1.  Or perhaps we should just get rid of our civil servants, concede to being European, and invite the Germans to replace our motorways with Autobahns  [ end of gripe ].

Anyways up.,  I could babble on and on,  show dozens of photos of car details and deviations from 'standard'',  but I'll leave that for others to contribute.  My big thanks to all who attended and showed their cars  (..the real stars of this event), to the traders and auto-jumblers who brought so much to tempt us, the excellent commentators and evening entertainments, and again to everyone involved in making the event so excellent a gathering of Triumphs.      

Pete  (aka Bfg)

p.s.  my tongue-in-cheek apologies to the chap in the beer tent on Friday night..  Bearing in mind I'm a towering 6' 5",  broad and with a scruffy greying beard - I walked in from the dark ..literally dripping-wet,  dressed in my summer clothes befitting that evening's weather ..ie. size 13 wellington boots,  a XXXXL sized dark brown cape-like waxed cotton Driza-Bone full length coat,  and a flat wide-brimmed waterproof hat ..of a style not dissimilar to that of the witch-hunter general  ..and this guy just looked up at me and froze as I walked straight faced in his direction. I leant over and quietly asked him in a slow gruff voice  "Have you seen where I left my chain saw.? "   His eyes visibly went round, his jaw dropped, and his complexion drained to pale grey.   

Edited by Bfg
reason for edit : grammar, always grammar.
2 hours ago, brenda said:

Thanks Pete for your lovely comments it was a real pleasure to meet you, glad you enjoyed your weekend as did we, hope we get to catch up again soon

Mike and Mrs Brenda (aka Carole)

Pride of ownership. 

Thats great news well done. Very well deserved. To both of you. 

:D

H

Stratford upon Avon on Saturday. Nice to see so many Triumphs, and the weather not too bad either.

My 4A decided to stall and not start again just after the entrance, so thanks to those that gave me a push !  Very kind. 5 minutes rest and she started again and ran fine for the run home. Not sure what caused the problem, may change the condenser as the car got quite hot in the queue to get in, and I believe they can fail when hot.

Thanks again for the push

John

Plan A was to go to Stratford on Sunday, and then plan B was to go to Bowood (any TRs there?) and that had to be abandoned as well, so today I went to Waitrose with one of my grandsons, who always thoroughly enjoys a run in the Grinnall TR8 esecially when we do one or two full throttle runs up through the gears.  

anyone here planning to go to the 26th  Herts and Beds (TSSC)  All Triumph and Classic show at the Imperial War Museum Duxford  on  Sunday 1st September ?

Pete.

The above photo was taken in Dartmouth after a pleasant drive  around the Southhams, Totnes Kingsbridge, Slapton sands. From Dartmouth over the river to Brixham, Paignton and home through the country lanes via a local Chinese. Lemon Chicken beef and cashew and egg fried rice an end to a lovely day. 

Ps would not permit me to add this to the photo.

Edited by Derek Hurford