Where did you drive to with your TR today

Enjoyed a trip to Tiverton Canal Tea Rooms where I saw the horse being connected to the barge which draws members of the public on trips up the canal.  Quick coffee before a scenic drive with other Devon members through Devon countryside to the Anchor Inn Exbridge which is half in Somerset and  half in Devon.

7E4B30B9-7E2F-4C7D-8C4A-6C9FAD6066B6.jpeg

Edited by Derek Hurford
  • Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

sunset at John o'Groats

Took my cousin out to lunch. She was born in 1918.   Tom

Lovely end to a lovely day. Crisp winter coastal run, and down to the beach for a stroll at sundown.  Happy new year all, Deggers

Posted Images

Drove up loton park hill 4 times !!! With other TR’ers

Got a personal best time too breaking the 70second hurdle with 69.71s

EEBC5811-522A-4CE9-A3AF-FB8699C8FF1F.jpeg

Edited by Hamish

Out with the TR at a friend's "cafe at the garage" event,

most interesting was his "new" project (he works from time to tim on it since 1 or 2 years).

Guess what it is (there are crazy folks out there).

1016308458_IMG_5089-b.thumb.JPG.c7413a7b26b5983d87cea00368490dbd.JPG

Edited by Z320
28 minutes ago, Z320 said:

Out with the TR at a friend's "cafe at the garage" event,

most interesting was his "new" project (he works from time to tim on it since 1 or 2 years).

1016308458_IMG_5089-b.thumb.JPG.c7413a7b26b5983d87cea00368490dbd.JPG

Sleeve valves....aero engine ?  1910-1920.

Edited by Peter Cobbold

well noticed, yes, sleeve valves, yes aero engine....

12 pistons, 6 cylinder, 2 crankshafts, flat engine, 2 stroke Diesel, direct injection, 6 injection pumps, 1940

a Junkers Jumo 205 from 1940 

2 minutes ago, Z320 said:

well noticed, yes, sleeve valves, yes aero engine....

12 pistons, 6 cylinder, 2 crankshafts, flat engine, 2 stroke Diesel, direct injection, 6 injection pumps, 1940

a Junkers Jumo 205 from 1940 

Ahead of its time !   Somewhere there must be a scavenge blower.  Peter

9 hours ago, Z320 said:

No. 3 bicycle looks like a road racer!! Crazy when there is a special to be made with that engine- looks like a Curtis straight 6.

40 minutes ago, Hamish said:

No. 3 bicycle looks like a road racer!! Crazy when there is a special to be made with that engine- looks like a Curtis straight 6.

Indeed it seems there are more crazy folks out there.....:ph34r:

An enjoyable hour or so at Sopworth Classic car show. Lots of lovely cars, but not that many TRs - possibly fewer than the Bentleys . The Corvette next to us got rather more attention than the Grinnall. It's a pleasant informal show - recommended for next year.

IMG_20190721_123451599.jpeg

Edited by acaie
9 minutes ago, acaie said:

An enjoyable hour or so at Sopworth Classic car show. Lots of lovely cars, but not that many TRs - possibly fewer than the Bentleys . The Corvette next to us got rather more attention than the Grinnall. It's a pleasant informal show - recommended for next year.

IMG_20190721_123451599.jpeg

I think that is what’s called a dramatic sky !!

Went to Norfolk and back , Monday and Tuesday, sweltering but fun.Coming  home in the Evening was noticeably cooler.

Parked in the Shade. !

Conrad.

Had to change a wheel on the way home, tyre out of shape !!

Only a short run today down to new MOT station (as old one retired). This will be fun good chat and also got to look under when on ramps same as the old one that’s good.  And it’s a pass good old Brenda. Car fest on Sunday with some others from Redrose Group, then of to Ireland 2-14 for a holiday.

Mike  Redrose Group 

9997E9A7-B661-46E6-AC50-E96D813F9202.jpeg

mike if You go on anymore rallies you’ll have over heating issues with the rally plaques 

enjoy carfest and Ireland’s

H

who did your mot? I use votex .

We went to the Shugborough Estate in the TR6 on the hottest day of the year. https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/shugborough-estate The Patrick Lichfield apartment was really interesting as the history of his expolits in the 1960s and 70s was well documented in photos and SASCO year planners. A great day out but a bit hot.

Mick

TR stayed home today but a trip to a local quarry with our  U3A geology group was enhanced by the spectacle of blasting a quarry face with 2 tons of explosives. Impressive !

Peter

Enjoyable day out with the London group to Brooklands.

Wanted to thrash up ‘the hill’ but wasn’t allowed to. :( Nightmare getting there M25 traffic but thrashed the cobwebs out on the way home. Hottest day of the year and it behaved itself impeccably!

Out with the TR is always a holiday....OK, not always but most time.

At the moment me and my wife are on holiday without the TR, that's possible.

Always interested in old cars we visited today the automobil museum of Malaga ( Spain).

The combination of old cars and fashion made it very enjoyable for both of us.

This is one of my favorites, at a advertising poster at the airport it looked like a monster.

IMG_5151.JPG.b6e12e4ff13ca4482a619dba811db281.JPG

Indeed it is a cycle car!

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320

what exactly is a 'cycle car'.   I've often heard the term and interpret it to mean a very lightweight car, perhaps for tax purposes. Maybe an invalid vehicle or three wheeler, or the very lightest canvas and string type 4-wheeled vehicles  (..perhaps without reverse gears ?)  but I've never associated it with a racing car.    Is there an official definition.? 

19 hours ago, Bfg said:

what exactly is a 'cycle car'.   I've often heard the term and interpret it to mean a very lightweight car, perhaps for tax purposes. Maybe an invalid vehicle or three wheeler, or the very lightest canvas and string type 4-wheeled vehicles  (..perhaps without reverse gears ?)  but I've never associated it with a racing car.    Is there an official definition.? 

I think they raced anything that had an engine, a tradition continued today by VSCC.

Carden was one british design..http://theoldmotor.com/?p=161499

single cylinder, no gears, cycle-spoked wheels, but for 1914 a fun machine.

There was a italian cyclecar witha rear 2-stoke engine at Loton a few years back, whih was transprted in an estate car.

Peter

You can even race a soap box....

It was not possible to go close the the cycle car at the museum,

but it has a single cylinder engine, the radiator is a fake, a separate chain driven gear box (both to see). Cycle wheels, steering by wire cables for both directions wraped around a straight shaft.

So this is a cycle car?

Edited by Z320
38 minutes ago, Z320 said:

You can even race a soap box....

It was not possible to go close the the cycle car at the museum,

but it has a single cylinder engine, the radiator is a fake, a separate chain driven gear box (both to see). Cycle wheels, steering by wire cables for both directions wraped around a straight shaft.

So this is a cycle car?

I think it depends upon engine capacity. 

This looks like a cycle car but was faster up Precott than TR7V8s !

http://theoldmotor.com/?p=136808

Its a special based upon a GN cycle car chassis. Other GN Specials have big engines eg "Thunderbug" has a 4litre V twin 

http://hyde1841.blogspot.com/2017/01/gn-cyclecars.html

"Gnat" 

"Wasp"

"Spider"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GN_(car)

These specials are amozingly fast machines. But built from vintage era parts: 

Here is Thunderbugs builder in a power oversteer at :

Peter

Shame he is a bit confused about where the engine came from. The de Haviland Tiger Moth is powered by a de Haviland Gipsy Major engine, an inverted 4 cylinder, air cooled in-line unit. Inverted as this configuration gets the crankshaft and therefore propeller further away from the ground. 9 cylinder radial engines were produced by a number of manufacturers during WW1 &2.

I will put my anorak away, sit back and admire the cars.

Mick