Where did you drive to with your TR today

Looked like a great day out. 

I’m sorry I missed it, lovely weather down here in Devon tho. 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

sunset at John o'Groats

Took my cousin out to lunch. She was born in 1918.   Tom

Lovely end to a lovely day. Crisp winter coastal run, and down to the beach for a stroll at sundown.  Happy new year all, Deggers

Posted Images

On 10/6/2018 at 5:05 PM, Z320 said:

A photo, please!

It's a bit blurry because the camera man was shivering! This was at the Monmouth Control stop

20181006_223504.jpg

2 hours ago, RogerH said:

Ha Ha - 24Hrs earlier the inside of the TR3 was absolutely sweltering.

Something wrong with the climate control me thinks.

Roger

Lovely to see you at the start, Roger!

It was only about 6 hours earlier that it was sweltering!  It got cold very quickly and it was like sitting in a blast chiller.... ('rbrr' is an anagram for 'brrr').  In the picture Ben took I've got a long sleeved top, three jumpers, two coats, two hats and two pairs of trousers (the outer pair designed to be worn in the arctic!) on!! :( .   I thought we had blocked up all the holes with bathroom sealant and duct tape, but the wind still howled though.  I have been with Ben for thirty years, and this is the first time I have ever seen him shiver......he was jibbering!

It was a cracking event, though!  The car was absolutely superb, didn't miss a beat and was a complete joy to drive.  Ben was also a complete star and soldiered on having been very poorly during the week leading up to the start and suffering with a bad chest and sinusitis during the event.  Seeing Iain with the two i's at Badgers Arse gave us a big lift, I wish we could have chatted for longer.  Ben took a few more pictures, which I'm sure he will post in due course.

Vicky x

Well done Vicky and Ben. 

Massive achievement.

A sidescreen victory.

Hi Bob

Like many things about Geoffrey the heater is a modification!  It is mounted wrongly and when I put in a new matrix (fatter) it is now too close to wiring to risk using it! I have a proper bracket now so I can mount it properly (but haven't got round to it!).  Also the engine temperature was low and it would have been even lower with the heater on.  So it was partially self-inflicted!

4 minutes ago, Ben Freer said:

Hi Bob

Like many things about Geoffrey the heater is a modification!  It is mounted wrongly and when I put in a new matrix (fatter) it is now too close to wiring to risk using it! I have a proper bracket now so I can mount it properly (but haven't got round to it!).  Also the engine temperature was low and it would have been even lower with the heater on.  So it was partially self-inflicted!

You need one of these Ben https://www.t7design.co.uk/products/heating/heaters/3-5kw-lightweight-heater-with-side-vents-12v.html

I fit these and they are really good in a sidescreen car and they give lots of extra room behind the dash too.

Stuart.

010 (2).JPG

Thank you, Stuart, that looks like just the ticket.  As Ben said, changing the heater position was one of those jobs we should have, but didn't get round to.....self inflicted pain.  Last time it wasn't so cold on the RBRR and we got away with it, but this last event proves we really must get on with the job.  It is a bit like fitting the hard top, which we had planned to do, but didn't.  Rest assured, it will be on next time!

Vicky x

Successfully completed my 20th RBRR out of 22 starts (DNFs in 1978 and 1982) although to be honest a piece of pxxx in the 4A with hard top compared to Ben and Vicky's effort in Geoffrey. Car didn't miss a beat the whole I weekend, all it needed was fuel and about 3 pints of oil - I could have left all my tools and spares at home and saved the weight! I felt as fresh at the finish at age 73 as I did after my first RBRR in 1974. A stress free drive in a reliable car makes all the difference. A corrected 32.06mpg for the 2,050 miles was disappointing - we got over 35 last time. I suspect running slightly rich from the exhaust note at idle - strange since I cleaned the K & Ns last week.

Best news, I note from the JustGiving website that earlier today we reached our nominal target of £65,000 for Epilepsy Research UK, this year's beneficiary from the RBRR fund raising effort

Tim

DSC00833.JPG

Following Paul Reynolds' TR6, A30 Cornwall.JPG

Only another 400 miles to go.JPG

Vital signs spot on, M74 southbound.JPG

Tebay Services M6, Saturday evening.JPG

Well done Tim - you deserve a medal for that record which will never be beaten! Our MPG over 2196 miles was 32.6 MPG.  It was 34.2 in 2016 but I gave it more wellie this time! I can't believe you felt so good at the end; I was in zombie mode and it wasn't until Monday after breakfast that I switched from "never-again" mode to "right-next-time-we-need-to...." mode!

Just to keep the thread on track: Today I got back into Geoffrey, having peeled off the soft top and the bathroom sealant, and drove up to the garage to top up the fuel (so that I could calculate the MPG).  Lovely to have the lid off again, its really claustrophobic with the hood up and sidescreens on (not helped by the strategically positioned duct tape rain deflectors!!).

The alternator is beginning to chirp - bearing - I guess - but it obviously didn't fail on the Run because it knew I was carrying a spare!  There is also some clonking coming from the rear end (suspect rear spring bushes?) - not helped by the Turweston Airfield perambulation! (where, incidentally, I learnt to drive in 1978 in a Herald 13/60 estate). The oil use (mostly not consumed but spewed out) was about 4 litres but the back end of the car has an oily sheen and I’ve got to bite the bullet and sort the rear seal (having done the front one the oil is obviously determined to find another route to freedom!!).

1 hour ago, RogerH said:

Hi Ben,

regarding your oil leak - make sure the crankcase is able to breath as best it can.

Roger

+1 I took the breather pipe off mine for the engine re-fettle  and could not believe how choked up the inside was with oily sludge . I also only ever fill oil to 1/2-2/3 way between max and min as a result oil loss/consumption is negligible. ( bit like the Rad water level also finding its own comfort point I think)

Iain

A beautiful day here in the Cotswolds (Wednesday) & had a great drive out to a pub for lunch with Sunbeam Tiger friend (who actually is the chairman of the owners club). Good chinwag about weather, classic cars & owners clubs!

.......i did 272 miles, 1/2 of which were in monsoon conditions. Great event  with some very nice cars in attendance.

Marco to answer you question, yes, 1959 or earlier, as JMHawthorn died in Jan 1959. I was privileged  be in Group 2 cars, those directly associated with JMH.

image.png.c80dff80d135d0fa9445b44f0104a65f.png

Iain