Diana has taken up dress making and other craft sewing again and recently bought a Janome XL601 - cost was £349 but I think it was on a special offer at the time.

The shop in Chichester where it came from is called "Clothkits". They have a huge range of machines and offer a free training session on any machine bought.

website - clothkits.co.uk

If its for automotive upholstery, get an old vintage hand cranked singer sewing machine, i bought one off ebay years ago and one of my best buys. As its hand cranked i find its very easy to go at slow controlled speeds and will punch through most materials and leather with the right needle.

If its for automotive upholstery, get an old vintage hand cranked singer sewing machine, i bought one off ebay years ago and one of my best buys. As its hand cranked i find its very easy to go at slow controlled speeds and will punch through most materials and leather with the right needle.

And so will my wife's 35 year old Bernina.

Rgds Ian

Machines designed for thick or bulky stuff like many upholstery materials usually have a "walking foot" that feeds the fabric from both top and bottom. Without it, it is difficult fo get a stack of heavy fabrics to feed consistently.

Ed

Hi ed

I have read about the walking foot,

The trouble is they are expensive to buy, even second hand,

I suppose with the foot you can do carpets etc

I must say your website is amazing 10 out of 10 and a star

Pink

Hi ed

I have read about the walking foot,

The trouble is they are expensive to buy, even second hand,

I suppose with the foot you can do carpets etc

I must say your website is amazing 10 out of 10 and a star

Pink

I just bought a walking foot for an AEG machine, £19.95, not expensive at all.

Should I be worried???? There are 11 replies to a question about sewing machines and non for my post about riveting a surrey frame. I was always led to believe from TR adverts that TR's were for the hairy chested male (not that I am in that hairy category), but seems I have been misled

Sign of the times?

Keith

p.s. Just about to get the sewing machine set up to turn up a pair of jeans. Prefer the old hand cranked Jones to the more modern electric one - more control. Get the stronger needles for the thicker material. I relined the Surrey hard top with vinyl and I used the hand operated machine for that.

My mother's Singer, manual-crank, sewing machine, which dates from the 1930s, is available and I would be delighted to give it a good home. It comes in its own, very strong, case and even includes a can of special oil!

The machine is in Thame with my son & daughter-in-law. If interested, just PM me.

Ian Cornish

• 2 weeks later...