What have you done to your TR today?

Drove from Somerset to the Goodwood Revival on Saturday. Fab day out and the TR performed perfectly on the 240 mile round trip.

Only minor problem was the wipers playing up in the rain on the way home - not parking and the two arms getting out of sync a bit. Looking at it today, the parking was easily fixed (the earth cable had come off the from the motor). Also found that the driver wiper arm is not tight on the the wheel box spindle so it can slip when the screen gets a bit too dry, hence the loss of sync between the arms.

The wheel boxes and arms were both new 3 years ago, so I don't think it is wear, I think the arm is just not a good fit on the spindle - there is a bit of play of the arm up & down on the spindle and I can make it slip over the splines by hand. The passenger arm doesn't move on the splines and feels much more solidly fixed. Might try another replacement arm unless anyone has other suggestions?

jeff

Hi Jeff,

before my wiper motor died the drivers side arm flew off three or four times no matter how tight I tightened the locking screw.

The arms I have have the phillips headed screw that pulls up a wedge to tighten the arm and spindle together.

I overcame that problem by inserting a thin(ish) piece of aluminium foil (chocolate wrapper) between the wedge and the arm body.

A good bodge but short lived.

Roger

Hi Jeff, this problem is not uncommon and can be overcome by drilling the centre of the spindle and holding the arm on with a small pan head self tapping screw. I did mine in an emergency about 15 years ago and they have never come off since.

Edited by ChrisR-4A

Thats interesting Roger, my arms don't have screw for tightening them, they are a simple push fit with the sprung wedge that is supposed to hold them in place. Did the originals on the 4A have these screws and are they available anywhere?

Edit - just saw Chris' post just after I replied. Sounds like they are a home made fix?

Jeff

Edited by JPD

Photo below

Not original but it works and is reliable.

post-3379-0-04119700-1536606408_thumb.jpg

Edited by ChrisR-4A

Hmmm

Note to self to check blades before the RBRR! Can't believe that we'll have two dry runs on the trot! I have plenty RainEx in stock!

I'm always amazed at how effective the comedy wipers are on a TR3 in southern climes but in Scotland and Wales....(or the end of the world as Roger would have it!) it's another matter!

• 3 weeks later...

TR3a.

The gearbox was removed and fixed a couple weeks ago and I need to put it back in. 

I also had the flywheel off to be altered to take the TR6 diaphragm clutch.

But I have wanted to replace the engine mounts due to quite a bit of engine rock ( and my suspicion that this is contributing to my gearbox leak). 

So today I have fitted 2 new uprated engine mounts. A real access issue with these !! What a nightmare. Jacking the engine was the easy bit. Getting to the nuts / bolts to undo them was a challenge. But getting the bolts back in was something else. But use of a magnet on an  aerial type thing helped. Then a million small spanner and/or socket movements to do them up made worse that they are nyloc style.

But after a few profanities they are in and secure. 

So I decided to fit the flywheel and the new clutch. Whilst it seems to have gone well. It should have been a job for tomorrow. 

Hunching down in the wheel arches then under the dash with heavy parts at arms length has made me realise I have muscles in places I didn’t know I had. And that they have decided to seize up and make me move like I’m 110 !!

next job fitting the gearbox !

5960AE3A-3705-49A2-88E8-6F512FABCAEF.jpeg

ADA11FAB-FC37-41A6-AA8E-962F32531E74.jpeg

On 8/31/2018 at 9:42 AM, Nigel A said:

Voltage regulator just arrived by Fedex from Moss Bristol. Great result!

Nigel

I have an old RB106 for you when the new Indian one packs up soon. Sometimes the copper is reclaimed and is no good. I have just fitted a solid state unit inside the original box. We have only been 8 miles but the ammeter is steady. Send me a pm if you need any help.

On 9/27/2018 at 2:58 AM, Hamish said:

But I have wanted to replace the engine mounts due to quite a bit of engine rock ( and my suspicion that this is contributing to my gearbox leak). 

This dampener solved the engine rock issue 

IMG_1261.JPG

Hi Geko

i have a very similar plan. 

I have this in my eBay watched items as a reminder if I still have an issue after fitting the new up graded engine mounts. 

TORQUE DAMPER BRACE SHOCK MOUNT FOR 96-00 CIVIC 1.6 VTEC DOHC EK EK9 ENGINE BL https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F151884604740

My car is a RHD 3a so I have an idea of using the LHD steering bracket and the back of the front engine plate. 

What is the bolt fixing on the engine on yours  where the damper fits. Is it a water way ?

H

Hi Folks,

on Wednesday I removed the drivers side door in order to attack a blister of rust forming on the top of the outer sill near the 'A' post.

B;**dy hell those doors are heavy. I think they must be filled with cement for impact resistance.

Yesterday I removed the pax door for another issue and that is just as heavy.

Any jobs done and doors refitted.

Roger

17 hours ago, Hamish said:

Hi Geko

i have a very similar plan. 

I have this in my eBay watched items as a reminder if I still have an issue after fitting the new up graded engine mounts. 

TORQUE DAMPER BRACE SHOCK MOUNT FOR 96-00 CIVIC 1.6 VTEC DOHC EK EK9 ENGINE BL https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F151884604740

My car is a RHD 3a so I have an idea of using the LHD steering bracket and the back of the front engine plate. 

What is the bolt fixing on the engine on yours  where the damper fits. Is it a water way ?

H

The original bolt is # 47 I just replaced it with a longer one. The damper you're watching is exactly the same. On a 4A, the small bracket serves the purpose perfectly and I also used the large bracket as GB to exhaust bracket

Edited by Geko

Today I cleaned and re-oiled the K & N air filters (it was 50,000 miles since the last time). I removed the HS6 suction chambers and pistons, cleaned them and checked the clearance with piston transfer holes bIanked off - perfect, the same 6 secs drop time for both. Lastly I cleaned out the float chambers, checked the float level settings and refitted the lids with new gaskets.

Tomorrow I plan to check the tracking with my newly acquired Trakrite then it's stickers on and all set for the Club Triumph Round Britain Reliability Run next weekend - my 22nd in this car!

This year we are helping Epilepsy Research UK and if anyone would like to support Team 74 my web page is www.justgiving.com/tim-hunt4

At Gaydon Drivers' Meeting 18. 09. 22.JPG

Well I spent today, armed with a reel of duct tape, sealing up the most obvious places that rain can get in ahead of next w/e's RBRR.  I can still just see through the sidescreens which also have more than their fair share of duct tape holding them together (refurbishment is planned once the hardtop is fitted this winter) but my co-driver (who shall remain nameless - but she knows who she is!!) popped the perspex out on the last RBRR with her pillow!

I have also been practicing the song Roger taught us at Knebworth last time! (aggghhhhhh!)!!:o

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to pull the front suspension apart.....wish I hadn’t bothered now! The trunnion bolt was seized solid a 1/2 inch breaker bar wouldn’t shift it...however a 3/4 bar and socket borrowed from work plus copious amounts of heat and ‘freeway’ has got it turning.

Even the nut I had to drill to weaken it before it would part company.

Responding to a suggestion on this forum that my excessive oil consumption may be due to a blocked crankcase breather pipe; I removed it and gave it a clean with copious amounts of Lydian degreasant (a 5 l can of which was gifted to me by the PO).  Removal and refitting was straight forward which was pleasant!

I'm not sure what I was expecting but I don't think it wasn't completely blocked. A considerable amount of black "snot" came out following a good soak and some vigorous shaking of the tube. If it had all been lodged in the u-bend bit, then I guess it might have restricted the breathing. How much snot is required to constitute a serious blockage?

Anyway now that his sinuses have been irrigated I hope it might help the oil stay inside the engine!

20181014_131308_resized.thumb.jpg.fa87dd3e00d43b600fe00993771abe89.jpg

3 hours ago, Ben Freer said:

Responding to a suggestion on this forum that my excessive oil consumption may be due to a blocked crankcase breather pipe; I removed it and gave it a clean with copious amounts of Lydian degreasant (a 5 l can of which was gifted to me by the PO).  Removal and refitting was straight forward which was pleasant!

I'm not sure what I was expecting but I don't think it wasn't completely blocked. A considerable amount of black "snot" came out following a good soak and some vigorous shaking of the tube. If it had all been lodged in the u-bend bit, then I guess it might have restricted the breathing. How much snot is required to constitute a serious blockage?

Anyway now that his sinuses have been irrigated I hope it might help the oil stay inside the engine!

20181014_131308_resized.thumb.jpg.fa87dd3e00d43b600fe00993771abe89.jpg

Jeeezzzz Ben I hope that isn’t the kitchen sink !!!!:unsure:

3 minutes ago, Hamish said:

Jeeezzzz Ben I hope that isn’t the kitchen sink !!!!:unsure:

No, I value my life Hamish! (even though Vicky was out; she would know!!)

Just now, Ben Freer said:

No, I value my life Hamish! (even though Vicky was out; she would know!!)

Phew !!

dont forget the dishwasher for stuff like that the next time Vicky is out for a couple hours!!

B)

H

ps if you get caught it wasn’t my idea ..........

26 minutes ago, Hamish said:

Phew !!

dont forget the dishwasher for stuff like that the next time Vicky is out for a couple hours!!

B)

H

ps if you get caught it wasn’t my idea ..........

Once put a cylinder head in the dishwasher while the wife was out, it didn't end well!!!

I still have the lumps to to prove it and have get a warning every time she leaves me alone in the garage!!