What have you done to your TR today?

This question is popular on other forums and I couldnt find anything on here so I thought I'd start..........better if you can show pictures.

Today Ive fitted a firewall to my TR4.

IMG_20180830_194202.jpg

Not that bad to fit but not sure what level of seal is acceptable/advised.

Motorsport Mickey will be proud of you :-)

On his birthday too.

Well done.

I used heatmate on my 3a

https://www.sealantsandtoolsdirect.co.uk/silicones_and_sealants/intumescent_fire_and_acoustic_sealants/everbuild_heat_mate_resistant_silicone_sealant_black_red_P23266.html

I have put sealant between the panel and the car brackets but wondered how good or leak proof it has to be.

For example I havent attempted to seal from the top of the wheelarches up. It would be very difficult to seal the top edge also.

I decided that if the tank ruptured, sealing up to the top of the wheelarches would provide the necessary protection. If you ended upside down though, that would be different.

Today I have mostly been making wooden door cappings, well I say today it's taking quite a long time what with making the GRP molds and everything,

One side veneered the other side still to go.I know you can just buy them but I fancied having a go, time and many coats of Rustins will tell if I have wasted a week.

Next job................rear bulkhead,

David

Checked new carb cork rings for a good seal....still a bit wet underneath so took it for a run and checked again after a few miles, still wet. Did a few more miles but with vigour to get the needle moving up and down a bit....result, dry. Did a few more miles to park up and still dry...hurrah.

So off to Bo'ness hillcimb early on Saturday with no more petrol fumes in the cab.

John S

Yesterday on the 6 I had to tighten the top hose as it started to seep (squirting a bit) probably from the thrashing I gave it Wednesday. Not TR related but also I removed the stainless steel trim from around the front windscreen (glued in jobby) ready for removing the cracked windscreen on my Lancia Beta Coupe.

Took it down to Sainsbury's. Saturday off to see friends. Sunday directing a whole bunch of cars how to navigate round Surrey.

I do the bare minimum of maintenance. while she keeps going I keep driving her which is much more fun than wrangling spanners.

Todays jobs is to give the TR a good clean inside and outside after having a two week holiday in the Dordogne. Then a small run out for coffee and cake, tomorrow test run for TR Redrose group and Sunday pop down to Cholmondeley Classic Car Show. 2FF21CCB-DF2B-4F8C-A11D-3E0E7372EBB1.jpeg

Ill pop mine down in a min. You can do mine.

:-)

H

Up early to refit 2 panel lights into back of speedometer after rebuilding the innards of one of them and soldering a couple of bullet connectors. Next step to drive it around the village to make sure speedo zero's properly. Tightening cable too tight and it doesn't zero very well.

This job started a couple of days ago after I repaired a friend's speedometer and used my car to recalibrate it. That was after fixing their fuel gauge problem (bad earth at sender end) and fitting new wiper.

Still had no replies about rattling surrey frame posting. Must be that I am the only one to try to fix the rattle. Might try making a small cup shape anvil for the round head of the rivet and try peening the other end a bit more first but I think the problems lies with the hole being too big for the rivet after 50 years of wear.

Time for a coffee and catch up on the forum.

Keith

I filled up with 97 fuel ready for a club run on Sunday and did 5 miles round the lanes to check the new Carb linkage.

The balls on the throttle rods had a bit (lot) of play and on inspection were very oval.

With new rods & sockets & balls the response is very positive. Car seems to go quicker but I think thats just because I'm giving it more throttle.

Up early to refit 2 panel lights into back of speedometer after rebuilding the innards of one of them and soldering a couple of bullet connectors. Next step to drive it around the village to make sure speedo zero's properly. Tightening cable too tight and it doesn't zero very well.

This job started a couple of days ago after I repaired a friend's speedometer and used my car to recalibrate it. That was after fixing their fuel gauge problem (bad earth at sender end) and fitting new wiper.

Still had no replies about rattling surrey frame posting. Must be that I am the only one to try to fix the rattle. Might try making a small cup shape anvil for the round head of the rivet and try peening the other end a bit more first but I think the problems lies with the hole being too big for the rivet after 50 years of wear.

Time for a coffee and catch up on the forum.

Keith

Sounds like I've got competition with gauge fixing !!

Bob.

Edited by Lebro

Took my youngest grandaughter ( age 7 ) out in the TR4 , for the first time yesterday.

I received a comprehensive and e x h a u s t I v e Safety briefing before leaving the house

Her comment to Grandma , after returning home, was " It's AWESOME , everybody was looking at us !!

She was a little puzzled as to what the chrome door pull was for though. Not too many of those on a modern , eh ?

One convert ( got to start them young ).

Bob