TR5 tyre fitment size

I have recently acquired a new project car, looking at it the wheel clearance on the arches might be an issue as the car has had a bit of a 'wee knock' However the tyres fitted are 185 HR 15 Michelin XVS's and I'm sure I've read somewhere that the arches on a 5 won't accommodate the same size tyres as a 6. Could anybody advise.

You should be able to run 195/65x15 on a 5 no bother. Just exactly what do you mean by not got clearance. I know the car and the damage

Stuart.

You should be able to run 195/65x15 on a 5 no bother. Just exactly what do you mean by not got clearance. I know the car and the damage

Stuart.

Stuart a picture paints a thousand words and I think this might cost me a few thousand to sort out :o but think I need to get the tape measure out

post-7429-0-85010600-1535648165_thumb.jpg

post-7429-0-64064200-1535648179_thumb.jpg

Edited by Graham

I ran 185/80x15 XVS on the 4A on 6" rims for several years. When they wore out, I fitted Hankooks in the same size. Currently running 195/65x15 Michelins. The difference in gearing between the 2 sizes is around 7%, so the equivalent of going from the 3.7 diff that the car has to a 3.45 like your 5 has. The 195s are very close to the original 165x15 tyres in rolling radius. I have never had any clearance issues and the 4A body is the same as the 5.

I actually preferred the higher gearing for long trips eg going from Melbourne to Perth. The 195s give a harsher ride and heavier steering and save nothing in unsprung weight. I'm seriously considering going back to the Hankooks for our next long trip to the Triumph National Rally in October.

Well for a start they are centre laced 70 spoke wires which have much more of an offset than standard rims which will confuse the issue slightly other than that its difficult to tell without a complete look at the car in person where the problem is. Check the front of the wing with a magnet.

Stuart.