Tyre size for 4j

Hi

I've got a set of 15"steel rims and the tyre seating area is 4"across so i presume they are 4j

So can i fit 165.80.15 tyres to these?

The old tyres i think were 145

Thanks

Tony

Hi Tony ~

When I purchased my 1960 3A in 2000 she was fitted with 5.5" 72 spoke wire wheels with 185 tyres with no problems.

TR's were fitted with 'Skinny' tyres and never looked right.

If in doubt then check with your tyre fitter.

Tom.

Edited by Fireman049

The first number in a tyre description is the tread width, in mm.

So 165x80 has tread 6.5" wide, whereas the OE 145 were 5.7" wide.

A wide tyre on too narrow a rim will be unstable - the tread will woble about like a triangle on its point. For performance the two dimensions should match, or the rim be wider than the tread - but it's hard to find a 145 these days! For road use 185 will be fine.

John

Thanks John ~

I purchased a set of 6" Dunlop centre lock alloy wheels which would have been fitted with 185 tyres.

But it's highly unlikely that the TR will ever hit the road ever again ~ I've completely lost all interest in the whole project.

Tom.

Hi

I've got a set of 15"steel rims and the tyre seating area is 4"across so i presume they are 4j

So can i fit 165.80.15 tyres to these?

The old tyres i think were 145

Thanks

Tony

Yes they will fit though 155 would be a better option as then you could just fit a spare into the spare wheel well.

Stuart.

The first number in a tyre description is the tread width, in mm.

So 165x80 has tread 6.5" wide, whereas the OE 145 were 5.7" wide.

A wide tyre on too narrow a rim will be unstable - the tread will woble about like a triangle on its point. For performance the two dimensions should match, or the rim be wider than the tread - but it's hard to find a 145 these days! For road use 185 will be fine.

John

No it's not John.

The 165 refers to the maximum section width of the tyre, if you like the fattest part, middle of the sidewall.

John.

No it's not John.

The 165 refers to the maximum section width of the tyre, if you like the fattest part, middle of the sidewall.

John.

Thank you, John!

Learn something evey day - Aristotle (or some smart guy!)

Hi Tony late model tr3a post ts 60000 have a taller spare well so 165x15 will fit, when I last used 4557WA it was fitted with 155x15 pirreli cints on its original steel rims , it would do a donut at the merest fick of the rist .

Dave

Hi Tony late model tr3a post ts 60000 have a taller spare well so 165x15 will fit, when I last used 4557WA it was fitted with 155x15 pirreli cints on its original steel rims , it would do a donut at the merest fick of the rist .

Dave

• 1 year later...
On 9/5/2018 at 7:09 AM, Dave Dawson said:

Dave

That's a good thing to reccomend it  165s too, more of a flick.

On 9/5/2018 at 7:09 AM, Dave Dawson said:

Dave

My late TR3A has 165s and the spare will go in but only if it flat so I have to carry a foot pump

George