Drive shaft mystery component

post-15466-0-90043300-1535564936_thumb.jpgGood day,

With the drive shafts at the stage of going back on the rebuild, I took the opportunity to replace the brittle gaiters and renew the grease. All well with the first.

On the second the cork washer, fitted behind the splined shaft, has split. I cannot find any reference to this on the Moss or Rimmer catalogues, just a complete shaft or gaiters. Can anyone identify it and direct me to a source please. See photo (showing remaining and broken off part of leather washer).

Or... as its going the be tricky to fit and doesn't seem to have much of a function, do they ever get refitted ?

Or... is there a rubber equivalent that can be stretched over the splined shaft and do the same job.

Or... shall I cut up a bit of sheet rubber and make my own.

Many thanks,

David B

Hi David,

the cork gasket is there to simply stop the grease squeezing out when the shaft compresses.

I would have thought that this is not a complete circle but cut to enable putting in place.

You could use a suitable sized 'O' ring

But then I've never seen one before :blink:

Roger

RogerH, Yes, thinking about it, when the threaded ring is locked up, the leather washer would seal the end of the internal spline to keep the grease in the splines. Will look for a suitable o ring rather but may end up having to make a washer.

Thanks, David B

barker williams, will have to have a deep think about your response........

Graham, I would love to collect but the good lady won't allow it.

RogerH, Had another look at the bits today. Examining the broken off leather washer piece shows it freshly broken on one end only and a sharp edge on the other confirming it is designed split to allow fitting to the shaft. However, its bore is significantly larger than the shaft diameter and the root diameter of the spllnes and will not hold back the grease. I now think its just a soft stop at the end of the travel of the two halves of the shafts.

Searched again on the net but cannot find any reference to it so I will make a rubber washer that I am now sure will do the job. Why its not listed as a spare puzzles me.

Thanks all, David B

Graham, I would love to collect but the good lady won't allow it.

RogerH, Had another look at the bits today. Examining the broken off leather washer piece shows it freshly broken on one end only and a sharp edge on the other confirming it is designed split to allow fitting to the shaft. However, its bore is significantly larger than the shaft diameter and the root diameter of the spllnes and will not hold back the grease. I now think its just a soft stop at the end of the travel of the two halves of the shafts.

Searched again on the net but cannot find any reference to it so I will make a rubber washer that I am now sure will do the job. Why its not listed as a spare puzzles me.

Thanks all, David B

Hi David

Give these people a ring https://www.yell.com/biz/proptech-ltd-kidderminster-7183165/ I got my drive shafts and and prop shaft from them. Great people to deal with, they may be able to send you one in the post.

I’m not familiar with the IRS set up, but it looks just the same as the splined end of a prop shaft. Do they have a washer to stop the grease from escaping? Maybe propshafts don’t move as much as an IRS axle shaft, but the principle is the same.

Sorry me, I think there must not be any seal.

There must come grease out when 1 st time cormpessed and air in / out when suspension is working.

With a seal there in working condition the shaft will be stiff.

Ciao Marco

Many propshafts do have a felt washer behind the nut, and it lloks like this is as a gland design; further conpressing (turning the nut) provides grease to the splines.

The felt also avoids it is pushed out, when the live axle (like Healey, MGB) move.

Waldi