Wiper motor keeps running

I have a 1970 Tr6 which i have rebuilt from the ground up, i am finally nearly there, my wipers operate on the two speeds via the rectangular rocker switch, however when i turn off they keep going, occasionally by teasing the switch i can get them to stop but not park,i am wondering if i have two issues, a dodgy switch and parking switch cam, no threads mention wipers running on, does anyone have a switch they can sell me please

The wipers have power when the ignition is on, irrespective of switch position, so they can park.

Thus is the park switch isnt turning off at park position then the wipers will run on as yours do, i had this on my last car and cured it with new park switch in the motor.

Alternatively the main wiper switch might be faulty and supplying power when it shouldnt, hence jiggling it sorts the problem.

On balance probably the main switch ?

Steve

I have a 1970 Tr6 which i have rebuilt from the ground up, i am finally nearly there, my wipers operate on the two speeds via the rectangular rocker switch, however when i turn off they keep going, occasionally by teasing the switch i can get them to stop but not park,i am wondering if i have two issues, a dodgy switch and parking switch cam, no threads mention wipers running on, does anyone have a switch they can sell me please

Hi Christopher, Welcome to the forum.

Failure to park and runnning on might have the same cause, inside the motor. Its a long time ago but I think I recall a wire shorting .....not sure

Peter

Thank you Steve& Peter, just come in from the workshop, interesting it appears now that when i switch what should be the off position the wipers drop in speed, i now appear to have a 3 speed wiper, i think i am going to have to take the motor out and inspect the parking cam, just wish i had another switch to try, they do not seem that easy to pick up, looks like rimmers or similar are the people to try . Thank you, Chris

on the 4A the system used to self park is a disk in the circuit with copper for nearly all the way round. This keeps power going to the motor after the dash switch goes to off, the motor stops when it gets to the disk section with no conductor and the wiper blades park..

The disk has to be adjusted on its shaft to match the desired 'park' position.

Sounds like the disk has come loose on its shaft and contact isn't getting broken.

(Please ignore all of the above if the TR6 has a different system.)

On mine the parking switch is offered up to the track on the internal wheel and held in contact by a washer and circlip on the the wheel shaft, external to the wiper motor body. The body casting wore allowing the wheel and switch to move apart and the self-park stopped working - like yours, I could fiddle with the switch and sometimes catch it! I took the circlip off, measured, and added a slightly thicker washer and it restored the self park feature. That was 28 years ago and it's still working today!

To check this theory, wedge a knife or screwdriver body under the washer as the wiper is running and trying to park. If it works as you pull the shaft upwards, that's the problem.

Cheers, Richard