I have decided that the rattle from the surrey frame cannot be endured any longer. Rattle rattle rattle....

The problem seems to lie with the rivets holding the 5 sections of the surrey frame together. There are 4 solid dome head rivets that hold the frame together and a thin washer between the moving parts. Does anyone know what size the rivets are and best way to remove and replace them. Don't know whether the holes might be slightly too big for the rivets in there or how tight the frame should be. On re-assembly would PTFE washers be any good bearing in mind that PTFE expands a lot with heat so might not be able to move it at all on a hot day and it would rattle on a cold one. Also any thoughts on what original rivets might be made from? Doesn't look like aluminium and doesn't rust and is shiny. Stainless perhaps?

Any ideas or advice please before I take the plunge and take it apart.

Keith

p.s. mine is cream in colour - is this standard?

• 2 weeks later...

Further progress on the rattles........

I went to a paint suppliers today and we went through several colour swatches for car paints of the 1960's. A few possible close matches but nothing quite exact to the pink tinged beige. However settled on RAL 1015 which is slightly more cream than beige as a fairly close match. The frame now looks really good and the colour is "period" enough and a close enough match in my opinion to the original. Certainly better than the chipped and slightly rusty in parts frame it was before. I removed the riveted on fasteners before spraying and tightened the rivets holding the frame together using a vice and a washer over the smaller end of the rivet. Seemed to do the trick. I put a little vaseline on the rivet heads so I can remove the spray paint off these later.

Keith

Hi Keith,

getting back t your rattle.

When you assemble the frame and cover do you tighten the nuts on the rear of the aft legs in order to tension the roof fabric.

My frame is quite free and easy for the arms to move but when tensioned up there is no movement.

Roger

Hello Roger

I have the adjusting nuts set so I can fit hood. It is quite tight to fit except when it is hot and sunny. The problem rattle seems to be coming from the passenger side side where the arms join in the centre. Since adjusting the rivets as I described, the arms do not move quite as freely. I shall be out in the car tomorrow so will see if it is any better.

If it isn't I guess I can always turn the radio up a bit!

Keith

Hi Keith,

I have adjustable nuts on the rear threaded spigots so that the frame can be tensioned after fitting the fabric.

See the pic below. These may not fit all cars. It depends on the rear/forward screen gap.

I will forward you a pair if you want them,

Roger

post-4113-0-46771300-1536653826_thumb.jpg

Hello Roger

I have similar tensioning nuts (hexagonal ones). Today I went over to fit a new speedo cable and angle drive (old one had disintegrated) on Lesley's 4A so I went over in the TR. No rattles from the surrey frame any more so my "adjustment" using the vice has worked. I can now hear other rattles from under the dashboard but they can wait!

Keith

Hi Keith,

I have adjustable nuts on the rear threaded spigots so that the frame can be tensioned after fitting the fabric.

See the pic below. These may not fit all cars. It depends on the rear/forward screen gap.

Roger

attachicon.gifP1030721a.jpg

very neat Job.

Hi Keith,

Roger

attachicon.gifP1030721a.jpg

Hello Roger

Just noticed the small rectangle of metal with the hole in where the surrey top rear bolts go through. Are these standard fittings and where did you get them? I have been considering a long strip of rubber along the top of the surrey rear frame because the top gets scratched and chipped easily but your solution looks better.

Keith