Forum software update now live Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
qkingston

IRS Diff Mounting

So I have read much about the weakness in the IRS suspension front & rear. Having taken the body off this weekend I can see that although the chassis is very sound (even patches of original chassis enamel black), the front diff mounting bridge has some damage, picture attached. I guess the CTM strengthening kit will help sort this out, do I need to do any other repair to sort out the steelwork? Also found that the bracket on the rear diff mounting has damage on one side, I think theses brackets are replaceable/available? What is the mechanism that causes this damage, is it just the suspension forces on the diff mounts punching upwards into the mounting/steel bridge piece?

Appreciate your wisdom

Rgds

David

post-15508-0-47887600-1535399523_thumb.jpg

post-15508-0-58031000-1535399539_thumb.jpg

So that would explain why it's front right and rear left mounts?

Hi David,

these are common areas on the TR5 & 6 because of their higher power etc.

Less so on the TR4A but still happens.

Roger

Looks like your rear mount has had a plate welded to it before.

Since you have access, strengthen the mounts with some ~2mm thick sheet around the pins and 'box-in' the sides of the mounts...easy to do, no need for a special kit. Be careful about creating a rust trap, make sure the box you build can drain and is accessible to squirt some wax in it once the body is back on.

This mod may help mitigating the effect of the torque reaction. CTM will do it on request though I don't believe it's in their standard set of strengthening kits. Paul Anderson (TR4A1965 on here) did it during his resto a couple of years back.

post-11469-0-57433600-1535417112_thumb.png

post-11469-0-67853300-1535417128_thumb.png

post-11469-0-22951600-1535417143_thumb.png

You could also check the rear crossmember welds to the frame and perhaps add some gussets and box in the bottom with some suitable drainage. Triumph is asking a lot of that flimsy sheet metal crossmember.

Stan