Seat Belts - Female Clip Length

Dear all

I am about to order new belts but can see the female part comes in either 30 or 45cm lengths. Currently, I have short ones and they are very annoying, especially when titling the chairs forward. Also I find the drum fills up with seatbelt and sticks . . hence the replacements.

So from experience, on a TR, what is best? 30 or 45cm?

Thanks

Rich

30 is standard fit. Where are yours currently bolted as they should be through the floor into the chassis but I have seen them fitted wrong.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Hi

If you look at these pics' this is what I have installed. The main cable is worn as you can see from the seat and also constantly catches the seat which I try to show in the second picture.'

I hope these pictures help.

Rich

post-14945-0-64172900-1535398135_thumb.jpg

post-14945-0-63808300-1535398259_thumb.jpg

Edited by AarhusTr6

Hi Folks,

I have mine bolted through the sidewall of the tunnel - is that not correct. It looks as if it should be there.

Roger

On a 4a yes. I usually give the stalks a twist so they clear the seat .

Stuart.

• 1 month later...

Am looking to buy belts for my TR4A restoration as I am at the stage of replacing the floor, sills and belt mountings. Seen this topic in TR6 forum but with some responses already for TR4. Am currently not sure which way to go. 

Advice here seems to use 30cm fixed length rigid stalk (SBS500/30). Rimmer site say short stalk (i think 150cm) if seat pushed back and longer stalk if seat pushed forward. ??  This seems to suggest keeping alternates in the boot for when changing drivers !

Moss have a SBS500/W available and listed suitable for a TR4A. Has adjustable length webbing at fixed end, up to 45cm. Could give me some mounting flexibility if I choose to use the mounting point on the chassis instead of the tunnel. Has anyone experience of using this one ??  OR would warn me off it? 

I ask as on my last couple of MGBs the fixed stalk was virtually inaccessible and a real pain to use.  I am swaying towards a webbing part for this job.

thanks, David B

• 4 weeks later...

Update

So I fitted 45 CM long Securon seatbelts this weekend.  I found the L Clip on the floor makes a big difference and now the new arm is well clear from the seats.

I am though a bit concerned on the fixings, the kit does not come with enough Nuts so I need to go buy some nylon lock nuts as I do not want anything shaking loose!    Overall quite happy but the web belt is still does not get pulled  100% back in the roller when I exit the car, so I have to still do a bit of feeding of the web belt back into the drum.

Thanks for the help,

Rich

1 hour ago, AarhusTr6 said:

Update

So I fitted 45 CM long Securon seatbelts this weekend.  I found the L Clip on the floor makes a big difference and now the new arm is well clear from the seats.

I am though a bit concerned on the fixings, the kit does not come with enough Nuts so I need to go buy some nylon lock nuts as I do not want anything shaking loose!    Overall quite happy but the web belt is still does not get pulled  100% back in the roller when I exit the car, so I have to still do a bit of feeding of the web belt back into the drum.

Thanks for the help,

Rich

Unfortunately as these belts are a bit universal fit there is too much on the reel to wind in fully on a short installation like a TR.

Stuart.

Mine are on purpose only 16 cm long, the shortest I was able to find, to go down as steep as possible to the tunnel.

That is to hold you my wife and me on the seats in the case of an accident and not to slip down under the belt or lift from the seat.

I know I'm the only TR driver with this opinion, but look at your modern car and ask yourself why it is made there as it is.

Always drive safe

Marco