Hi Ron,

the alternator should have its own internal regulator.

The Dynamo regulator becomes redundant.

You need to connect all the dynamo wires in some sort of order.

I believe that some people keep the dynamo regulator box and connect the wires in there.

The new loom should be able to use the 'what is now' standard 35 amp glass fuse.

I'm sure somebiody will be along telling which wires go where.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

All modern alternators have a built-in regulator, so there is no need to install an external one. Your present regulator can be left in position but needs disconnecting. You can use the A (or A1) terminal as a junction point for the new wiring as shown below but all the other connections should be isolated. Is your new loom adapted for an alternator? as if so some of the regulator wires will not be present anyway.

There is no need to change the fuse box but if you do it would make sense to individually fuse some of the circuits though you new loom probably won't have provision for that.

Don't forget that if your dynamo system was positive-earth you will have to swap some things around for the new negative-earth alternator; e.g. the battery terminals, the ammeter polarity and the ignition coil polarity.

post-7865-0-87007000-1535360696_thumb.jpge

I can confirm the above diagram to be correct :ph34r:

The linking can be done inside the old regulator enclosure (once the existing insides have been removed), or just ditch the old reg, & make the connections in the loom, thus freeing up a bit of bulkhead space for a 2nd fuse box

post-12009-0-08879400-1535361972_thumb.jpg

Bob

Thanks for all the swift replies, having not done it before the amount of connections was somewhat daunting but things take a logical route ( sometimes, expect more questions :) ) I am going to change the voltage stabiliser for a solid state one should I also change the temp sender and flasher unit ?

Regards

Ron

The temp sender doesn't need changing. The flasher unit will be be OK if its the original bi-metallic type. If its a newer electronic one you need to make sure its still the correct polarity.

Coming back to your earlier question about fuses - when I swapped to an alternator I took all the guts out of the existing dynamo regulator and fitted an auxiliary fuse box inside. that way the arrangement still looks standard-ish.

Edited by RobH

And I would keep your original voltage stabiliser as they are usually a lot better.

Stuart.

IF your car is +ve earth, then it will change to -ve when you fit an alternator, so be aware you need to swap battery terminals, swap ammeter terminals.

and possibly radio polarity ? As Stuart says original type flasher unit will be OK, as will an original voltage stabiliser.

You might consider fitting LED type bulbs, in which case you would have to change the flasher unit.

If it is -ve earth already, then no problem.

Bob.