TR4 Fuel pump?

Hi all, just wanted to pick the guru's brains.

Replaced the diff cover gasket as it has a slight leak.

Took the car out for a quick blast to check for leaks.

On the way back car started splutter and died at the side of the road.

Became obvious no fuel reaching the carbs, pumps manual primer did not feel right and was not pumping fuel, but fuel ran out of the feed pipe from tank, so fuel in tank and no blockage to pump and bowl clean and clear as always.

Wife towed me home and swapping the fuel pump for one I had from previous owner so I connected the fuel lines up and operating new pump manually pumped and fuel and engine started, so looked like pump.

Took old pump off, but operating the old pump manually it made the right sounds and seemed to work correctly developed a vacuum or pressure depending on which end I blocked with my finger.

Only thing I could see was the pumps cam lever seemed to have a lot of lateral movement and the wear pattern seemed to be on one side of the lever. The only thing I can think of is the lever fell off the side of the very narrow cam lobe, although I could not see any marks on the casting on the cam next too the machined pump lobe to indicate this.

Any thoughts on if this is possible and is there somebody who rebuilds pumps as new parts tend not to last long or be of any reasonable quality and I have no idea where the new pump came from...

And the diff case cover plate still leaks, but car runs just as well as before.

Mark

The new repro pumps avail from the usual suspects have a narrower cam lever than the original and a poor pivot bearing resulting in occasional slipping off the cam lobe, if you have an original to rebuild then +1 for Dave Davies.

He did mine over two years ago and it's been spot on since, 9000 miles and counting.

I am sure that what you suggest is perfectly possible Mark. I have an original pump with solid operating lever but noticed last year that the lever was bearing on one side of the cam lobe and I was concerned it could slip off completely. I removed the pump and took off the small plates retaining the lever. I then shimmed one side of the lever pin to bring the lever central on the cam lobe. Worth doing.

Tim

Hi Mark ~

I'm a dyed in the wool SU electric petrol pump enthusiast! All my cars over the years have been fitted with electric SU fuel pumps.

My 3A has been converted to an electric pump. Switch on the ignition and the carbs. are fully charged. The pump is for a Morris Minor ~

Low Pressure type ~ Long suck ~ Short blow.

All our Fire Engines were fitted with both electric and mechanical fuel pumps but were always run on the electric pumps for instant starting.

Tom.

attachicon.gifIMG_1209 - Copy.JPG

Thanks Tom, thats definitely an option to consider and the install looks very nice.

Mark

If using an electric fuel pump, I think it important to feed the electrical power via an isolator such as that used on the PI cars so that, in the event of an accident, the power to the pump is cut and hence fuel does not continue to be pumped. If power is not cut, petrol could possibly feed a fire and lead to an almighty conflagration - I feel sure that Fireman049 Tom could talk about this in graphic detail!

Ian Cornish

Hi all, just wanted to pick the guru's brains.

Replaced the diff cover gasket as it has a slight leak.

Took the car out for a quick blast to check for leaks.

On the way back car started splutter and died at the side of the road.

Became obvious no fuel reaching the carbs, pumps manual primer did not feel right and was not pumping fuel, but fuel ran out of the feed pipe from tank, so fuel in tank and no blockage to pump and bowl clean and clear as always.

Wife towed me home and swapping the fuel pump for one I had from previous owner so I connected the fuel lines up and operating new pump manually pumped and fuel and engine started, so looked like pump.

Took old pump off, but operating the old pump manually it made the right sounds and seemed to work correctly developed a vacuum or pressure depending on which end I blocked with my finger.

Only thing I could see was the pumps cam lever seemed to have a lot of lateral movement and the wear pattern seemed to be on one side of the lever. The only thing I can think of is the lever fell off the side of the very narrow cam lobe, although I could not see any marks on the casting on the cam next too the machined pump lobe to indicate this.

Any thoughts on if this is possible and is there somebody who rebuilds pumps as new parts tend not to last long or be of any reasonable quality and I have no idea where the new pump came from...

And the diff case cover plate still leaks, but car runs just as well as before.

Mark

Hi Mark,

I have had two problems on my repro pump.

1 - the pivot pin slid out and so the lever arm had no effect.

The pin ended up sitting on the top of the pump body, so could repair by side of road.

I no have a shaped washer either side of the pin with flanges to stop the pin sliding out again.

2 - One of the non-return valves on the lid of the pump body dropped out of place. This has happened three times.

Each time defeating the locking device I had.

I not have a better locking method - sorted - maybe.

Roger

post-4113-0-30657600-1535358570_thumb.jpg

Hi Mark,

I have had two problems on my repro pump.

1 - the pivot pin slid out and so the lever arm had no effect.

The pin ended up sitting on the top of the pump body, so could repair by side of road.

I no have a shaped washer either side of the pin with flanges to stop the pin sliding out again.

2 - One of the non-return valves on the lid of the pump body dropped out of place. This has happened three times.

Each time defeating the locking device I had.

I not have a better locking method - sorted - maybe.

Roger

attachicon.gifDSCF0012a.jpg

Hi Roger, mine is definitely the lever.

Looking more closely I can now see that there are two wedges that hold the pivot pin in place and are working their way out and allowing the pivot pin to move back and forth unevenly causing the lever to have too much lateral play.

Mark

post-12879-0-86294000-1535374520_thumb.jpg

If using an electric fuel pump, I think it important to feed the electrical power via an isolator such as that used on the PI cars so that, in the event of an accident, the power to the pump is cut and hence fuel does not continue to be pumped. If power is not cut, petrol could possibly feed a fire and lead to an almighty conflagration - I feel sure that Fireman049 Tom could talk about this in graphic detail!

Ian Cornish

+1. I had an MGB once that tried to immolate itself.

Pete

Hi Mark,

I see that there is a lot of discussion about replica pumps, although it is not clear if your 'failed' pump is one of these. I wonder if it is an issue with the pump diaphragm instead. I had an orignal pump that gave the same symptoms as you listed but it would be fine again once the car had cooled down. It appeared to be ethanol related and the rubber material had gone 'floppy' (there is probably a non-technical term), which was OK on start up but would not give enough pressure after a few miles - even with manual priming. A change of diaphragm to ethanol resistant material cured it.

Just a thought.

MF