Headlamp flasher problem

Went for a blast in the TR250 to calm down after after posting about the latest bod problems and the fuse blew when I flashed my headlamps.

The flasher, stereo and 12v accessory socket share their own unique fuse and the lighting switch is column mounted so changed the fuse, tested the flasher and the fuse blew.

After lots of stripping everything down (what a pig of a job to access the wiring under the colum and remove the switch - thinking of leaving the cover off and use cable ties!) all the wiring appears fine - no breaks or dodgy insulation.

By accident I discovered that the outer casing of the switch is permantly live when all wiring connected. If I disconnect the brown wire which supplys the power to flash the headlamps the outer switch casing is no longer live.

I assume this is the problem but cannot see anything obvious and it looks impossible to take apart without breaking it.

A new switch is £60ish so any ideas before I go to Moss on Tuesday.

Was hoping to use the car this weekend but dont fancy putting everything back together and then stripping it all out again. Cable ties are looking more and more attractive.

Cheers

Nigel

Hi Nigel

If Iwas in your position i would cable tie the wires back disconect the flasher wire under the dash at the bullet conection and go out for some fun.

When you have time remove the switch and inspect it and the wires carefully, somtimes it can be the smallest of insulation faults or closeness of connectors to metal.

I think yours will be the same switch as mine on the 6 which I managed to take to pieces and repair. The other thing to look for is damage or tracking marks on the insulated body of the switch

Worth the time before splashing out £60.

Good luck

Bri

Hi Nigel,

I had a similar problem with my brake lights on the 3A. I traced the wire from the switch to the back light and it turned out to be a faulty connection inside the bulb itself. A replacement bulb and all right ever since.

I also had a problem with the front indicators. The small flap which is the connection to the bulb migrated to the side and caused a short which damaged the wiring. I found an original lamp and it was made differently. I sent the dodgy ones back to the supplier who was not interested.

Perhaps try a new lamp in your case?? <_<

Richard

Hi Richard and Crain

Wish it was that easy.

Rough weather so decided to work on the car

In the end I removed the switch and found it all burnt inside, probably been like this for sometime. Managed to find the original LHD switch and it was in great condition. I installed this on the RHS with the overdrive switch and swapped the indicators to the LHS.

All works perfectly and I won’t be turning the lights on when indicating

It’s a horrible job, so just hope I like it this way as I don’t want to do it again in a hurry.

Cheers

Nigel