TR5 Steering Rack

Try again, as I posted yesterday, and it has disappeared.

A couple of days ago I discovered there was for and aft movement on the front nearside wheel, which is not the bearing, as the steering rod moves a little, too.

The offside is fine. I initially thought it was wear in the ball swivel joint, but now think it may be inside the rack itself, and looking probably at either having my own rack refurbished, buying an exchange refurbished rack, or buying a new one.

I have purchased new track rod ends from Amsteer, nr Birmingham, as I have been recommended to use these (better quality), but what about the rack?

Any advice, recommendations, gratefully received.

Michael.

Hope this post doesn't disappear with the updates going on!

Hi Michael,

Dismantling a steering rack is not too difficult, so I would do that first.

There is a swivel at the end of each track rod ( inside the harmonica gaitors)if this has some play that may explain the movement.

Also check the ball joint with a crowbar or similar before you remove the rack.

If a 2nd person can rock the wheels you can look where the play is before doing more work.

Regards,

Waldi

Thanks for your advice. Yes it is RHD. I have not pulled back the gaiter yet, to see if the ball joint is the culprit, or if it is indeed within the rack itself. I assume, if the ball joint is the fault, it is not adjustable, but is replaceable, and can probably be done in place, without removing the steering rack.

You can re-shim the inner ball joint but they do tend t wear to a point so better to replace as they can also fracture.

Stuart.