Supporting the Engine with the Gearbox removed

Hi All,

Over the winter I am planning to remove the gearbox in my TR3a to fix a couple of leaks (the seals).

Because I only have a single garage, I shall be wheeling the car out onto the driveway to do the removal and then pushing it back in once the box is out.

Does anyone out there have any clever dodges for supporting the rear of the engine once the gearbox is out?

Thks & Rgds Ian

TBH a suitable size bit of wood between the back of the engine and the forward edge of the battery box are works just as well.

Stuart.

Not sure about on a 3, but when I did this on my 4, I ended up using a bit of angle iron, in the same way as Roger suggests, as I couldn't raise the back of the engine high enough to get a strong enough bit of wood in because the back of the engine fouled on the underneath of the bulkhead.

It needs to be strong and fixed or wedged so it can't move because if the engine does drop down, you are likely to get damage, lie cracking your exhaust manifold ( don't ask how I know this!)

Cheers

Rich